Author Topic: Concerts of 2017  (Read 34429 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Concerts of 2017
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2017, 01:01:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In addition to U2, I made it to see Sons of the Silent Age, a phenomenal local Bowie tribute act. I also, just decided to buy tickets on a whim for Jean Michel Jarre, and my gf bought tickets for Sheila E/The Time. I'll probably like that about as much as she'll like JMJ. Oh well--it's nice to branch out and see new things.

Still waiting on Depeche Mode to announce US dates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rumor I heard repeatedly this weekend has DM's US tour announcement happening on Valentine's Day. Not at all sure about the source, though, so take that with a kilo of salt.

Eh.  I know it's coming, and will be sometime after the first European leg.  It will just be a matter of deciding if I want to see a show close to home, or travel.  Last time I saw them in Brooklyn and fit in a long vacation weekend.  It was really fun, but I might not be as keen on travelling in colder months.

I'm hoping it includes a MI date. I've only recently got into their music, but would love to see'em live.

Oh wow, you haven't seen them?  I hope you get to do so.  I'm an old, jaded concert-goer, and they still bring the goods.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2017, 01:03:18 PM »
i need to see them this tour.

i've been interested in Lambert Queen but can't bring myself to buy tickets.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2017, 02:52:24 PM »
Lambert out front of Queen was really good, surprisingly so. They made it work.

Yeah, I admit to being skeptical of it when I first heard about Lambert joining. I've seen some videos of past shows and it seems like he really does a nice job of honoring Mercury and Queen's music. I'm looking forward to seeing it live.

It really worked, I'm always nervous about gigs like this as it screams "we're our own cover band" but it was miles from that. Lambert was the perfect frontman, obviously flamboyant and energetic, but it was all about the songs. Taylor and May are a huge part of the setup obviously. I saw the first few songs due to taking snaps, then ran out, checked my camera and went back in to watch the rest of the show. The way they incorporated Mercury into the show, along with Lambert's voice being superb, was first class.

It actually for the first time made me think "wow, if Bono left U2 and the other lads wanted to somehow continue, it could be done if they found the right person". I know that's nuts but there are few more iconic frontmen that Freddie, and if Queen could do it with Lambert there is hope for others, even if the odds are slim.

Not saying I would want it to happen... but not every band that loses a frontman turns into INXS.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:54:12 PM by briscoetheque »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2017, 10:21:57 AM »

Oh wow, you haven't seen them?  I hope you get to do so.  I'm an old, jaded concert-goer, and they still bring the goods.

Nope, not yet. Like I said, I'm a new comer to their music and if they played MI in the past few years, it would have been when I was out of town. I'm definitely anxious to see'em.

It really worked, I'm always nervous about gigs like this as it screams "we're our own cover band" but it was miles from that. Lambert was the perfect frontman, obviously flamboyant and energetic, but it was all about the songs. Taylor and May are a huge part of the setup obviously. I saw the first few songs due to taking snaps, then ran out, checked my camera and went back in to watch the rest of the show. The way they incorporated Mercury into the show, along with Lambert's voice being superb, was first class.

It actually for the first time made me think "wow, if Bono left U2 and the other lads wanted to somehow continue, it could be done if they found the right person". I know that's nuts but there are few more iconic frontmen that Freddie, and if Queen could do it with Lambert there is hope for others, even if the odds are slim.

Not saying I would want it to happen... but not every band that loses a frontman turns into INXS.

Yeah, I recently watched their performance of Bohemian Rhapsody from 2014 and loved how they worked Freddie into that. It was the perfect mix of new and old. I'm a fan of Lambert's and have seen him live solo, so I knew he had the vocal capability to pull it off. I was just doubtful about his ability to bring enough charisma to the role to make it believable. It seems like he's doing a great job of both.

You bring up an interesting point re: Bono. I don't want the guys to break up anytime soon, but I think if Bono were for some reason to quit, there's at least a few capable charismatic vocalists who could pull it off. Brandon Flowers is one I can think of who could, in theory, do well in the role.

The path INXS took really bums me out. They had some crazy good music in the 80s. It's a shame they couldn't find someone to properly carry the torch after Michael passed.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2017, 09:24:33 PM »
Looks like I'm finally going to see Catfish and the Bottlemen in May!!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TheU2Ken

• To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »
Looks like I'm finally going to see Catfish and the Bottlemen in May!!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

nice!!!!! I should be seeing them at Knees unless theres a huge conflict

Offline zedg

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • *POP*
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2017, 06:30:58 AM »
Seeing..
Simple Minds this Thurs
Guns N' Roses this Sat

Got extra cheap tix in both instances.
$55 instead of $120
$50 instead of $185

Always good when you get tix at a bargain.

Offline TheU2Ken

• To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »
Just got off a cruise to this news. Muse and PVRIS on the same tour!!!!!!

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »

...not a lock yet, but that area could use one.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:35:18 PM by imaginary friend »

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2017, 10:56:23 PM »
Just got off a cruise to this news. Muse and PVRIS on the same tour!!!!!!

I'm in!!

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2017, 06:37:54 AM »
Going to see The Orb at the Royal Festival Hall in April,and Death In Vegas at Oval Space in May.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Concerts of 2017
« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2017, 01:49:05 PM »
Can't wait for this to be officially announced! Volbeat rocks but I can't say the same about Avenged.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2017, 01:53:09 PM »
Can't wait for this to be officially announced! Volbeat rocks but I can't say the same about Avenged.

oh wow look at that. a rumor about the metallica tour i'd nearly given up on. i don't care about avenged sevenfold or whoever else plays im just eager to see a 'tallica tour.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2017, 03:36:22 PM »

oh wow look at that. a rumor about the metallica tour i'd nearly given up on. i don't care about avenged sevenfold or whoever else plays im just eager to see a 'tallica tour.

I honestly think their fanbase might have a more frustrating time than U2 fans do. We're used to constant delays at this point, but at least we know to expect an album every 5 years or so along with a tour every 3 years. Metallica fans had to wait 8 years between the 2008 album and the 2016 album. And now they have the agonizing wait of the tour announcement, something they've been talking about for over 6 months now.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #179 on: February 07, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »

I honestly think their fanbase might have a more frustrating time than U2 fans do. We're used to constant delays at this point, but at least we know to expect an album every 5 years or so along with a tour every 3 years. Metallica fans had to wait 8 years between the 2008 album and the 2016 album. And now they have the agonizing wait of the tour announcement, something they've been talking about for over 6 months now.

Yes, but they're fans of Metallica... keep 'em waiting longer I (and particularly my ears) say  :)