Author Topic: Adam's Skype Interview with Dave Fanning @ 40th Anniversary Party  (Read 8522 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
Adam's Skype Interview with Dave Fanning @ 40th Anniversary Party
« on: September 26, 2016, 09:20:10 AM »
For those of you that saw this (I watched via a saved Periscope feed)...thoughts?

My takeaway was that Songs of Ascent still seems to be on the radar.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see both SOE and SOA released at the same time or at least a lot closer than SOI/SOE. 

Now, I'm sure this is just me....but I also got this feel that SOA could be the last recording we get in awhile....maybe even forever.   

What was most interesting to you about this interview?

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
Re: Adam's Skype Interview with Dave Fanning @ 40th Anniversary Party
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 09:26:30 AM »
I imagine that for SOA they'd go back into the studio with Eno & Lanois, come up with new material, and release that instead of SOA.  I found it odd that Adam said SOA would take them back to stadiums because Bono said it was meditative.

Waffles

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
Would SOA go off the NLOTH producers? Or an entirely new team? Where can I hear this interview?

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »
I thought the interview was great.  Dave really put Adam on the spot for a few of those questions.  I found it interesting that Adam seems to feel that although SOA is still out there as a possibility to be released, but SOE is the end of this cycle.  As for SOA being the album that they might take to stadiums, I'm wondering if it's already been reworked and isn't the same idea as when they first started working on it?  I laughed out loud when Dave asked about new music in 2016 and Adam's reply was that there was no certainty in life. 

Waffles

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:17:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I imagine that for SOA they'd go back into the studio with Eno & Lanois, come up with new material, and release that instead of SOA.  I found it odd that Adam said SOA would take them back to stadiums because Bono said it was meditative.

When I think of stadium songs, I think of big explosive chorus hits. Every breaking wave would've been perfect for a stadium

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 12:27:06 PM »
What made you think SOA could be the last record? Makes me sad to contemplate but it's completely understandable.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 12:29:53 PM »
What made you think SOA could be the last record? Makes me sad to contemplate but it's completely understandable.

speaking for myself here but i agree with him. they just don't have the need or seemingly even the fire in them to make new music. they've conquered the world a few times over and i for one believe them when they say they don't want to wind up like the Stones or doing the State Fair touring circuit/Vegas residency.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 12:36:45 PM »

speaking for myself here but i agree with him. they just don't have the need or seemingly even the fire in them to make new music. they've conquered the world a few times over and i for one believe them when they say they don't want to wind up like the Stones or doing the State Fair touring circuit/Vegas residency.

I think they still have the fire, they always try to reshape themselves as a band and change their DNA. Maybe not like they used to but they are always hungry and push their new music, it's important to them. I don't see that changing. I do however notice that they realise it can't go on forever. That will be a sad day but an understandable one.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 12:57:06 PM »

Just the way he talked near the end when he said they felt like they were near the end of this exploration into SOI, SOE, and SOA.  And I think he said something else about taking the time to really think about where they might go after that and taking the time to do it.  Also, he mentioned how each record seems to take longer than the last.

So lets say they tour into 2018 and release SOA and tour a bit more on that record.  That could feasibly get us to 2020 (which might be their LiveNation contract end date as well).  At that point, approaching their 60's they all might just want to really pursue other things.  Paul McGuinness is a bit older and didn't want to do it anymore. Bono surely has outside interests....not sure about the others.

If you are going to retire....isn't Songs of Ascent seem to be the perfect title for your last record? 

On the other hand, it's the only job they ever had and why wouldn't you just keep making music to the very end....a la the great David Bowie whose final album was remarkable.

Time will tell, of course...I'd be curious as to whether they even have these conversations among themselves about how long they want to keep doing this.  At some point, it is still a job and still work and "retirement" is contemplated.

Edit: Just checked....Live Nation deal was a 12 year deal signed in 2008. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:59:24 PM by dwaltman »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 01:03:35 PM »

Just the way he talked near the end when he said they felt like they were near the end of this exploration into SOI, SOE, and SOA.  And I think he said something else about taking the time to really think about where they might go after that and taking the time to do it.  Also, he mentioned how each record seems to take longer than the last.

So lets say they tour into 2018 and release SOA and tour a bit more on that record.  That could feasibly get us to 2020 (which might be their LiveNation contract end date as well).  At that point, approaching their 60's they all might just want to really pursue other things.  Paul McGuinness is a bit older and didn't want to do it anymore. Bono surely has outside interests....not sure about the others.

If you are going to retire....isn't Songs of Ascent seem to be the perfect title for your last record? 

On the other hand, it's the only job they ever had and why wouldn't you just keep making music to the very end....a la the great David Bowie whose final album was remarkable.

Time will tell, of course...I'd be curious as to whether they even have these conversations among themselves about how long they want to keep doing this.  At some point, it is still a job and still work and "retirement" is contemplated.

Edit: Just checked....Live Nation deal was a 12 year deal signed in 2008.

SOA is a great last title but I'd prefer Man.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 01:45:17 PM »

Preferably with an adult Peter Rowan on the cover. :)

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 01:45:35 PM »
Link to the interview?

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 01:47:36 PM »

Preferably with an adult Peter Rowan on the cover. :)
Yes, that would be great...our "Boy" all grown up. I think he's a photographer now?

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 02:02:49 PM »
Link to the interview?

Sherry has a link in her OTR column this week.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 03:41:15 PM »
Link to the interview?

Sherry has a link in her OTR column this week.

For those of us who have no idea what that is why don't you just post the link to it from youtube...or wherever it is.

You complained earlier people weren't discussing it then when someone asks about seeing it you go all secret code on us ....OTR?

Post the link if you know where it is!