Author Topic: Adam's Skype Interview with Dave Fanning @ 40th Anniversary Party  (Read 8525 times)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
Re: Adam's Skype Interview with Dave Fanning @ 40th Anniversary Party
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2016, 10:39:39 AM »
After watching the interview I get the sense that Adam and the rest of the band are ready to slow down, which they're entitled to, but it would be nice for them to actually come out and tell us that they're now a part-time band. They've been acting like one for years and it would help if they would simply tell us they're taking a break or only planning on touring every five years or whatever.

I could be wrong but it seems they're just not that excited anymore and I would rather they step back instead of dragging their feet through another album or tour that doesn't hold much priority.

Offline zoo world order

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2016, 10:53:56 AM »
+1

Great post

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
very appropriate for our An tha...ya gotta love this guy, right?

no, he is horrible!

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2016, 02:37:13 PM »
He seemed to reveal a fair amount without saying too much.
What I got from it was that there would be a change in cycle after soe, not SOA. That SOA could still be on the cards for later down the line, but not a given. That the tour would continue using the same production and be indoors. The album will definitely be next year.
Strikes me that they don't actually plan ahead that far. I always imagined them to be working to a clearly defined blue print, they know how it started, where they are now and how and when it will end. But seems they seem to take it as it comes and almost admitting they are ready to slow down a little after this next album and just see how they feel. They have earned this great position where the only pressure they have is the pressure they put themselves under. I also think an acknowledgment that they are close to shifting down a gear.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2016, 02:44:01 PM »
What I got from it was that there would be a change in cycle after soe, not SOA. That SOA could still be on the cards for later down the line, but not a given. That the tour would continue using the same production and be indoors. The album will definitely be next year.
Strikes me that they don't actually plan ahead that far. I always imagined them to be working to a clearly defined blue print, they know how it started, where they are now and how and when it will end. But seems they seem to take it as it comes and almost admitting they are ready to slow down a little after this next album and just see how they feel. They have earned this great position where the only pressure they have is the pressure they put themselves under. I also think an acknowledgment that they are close to shifting down a gear.
True, the thing is, they probably would have said the same thing after every album past TJT because making a record can be very exhausting. After a while, the appetite to make another one comes back. It reminds me of when Adam said after the Joshua Tree tour or Lovetown that he didn't think they'd do big tours after that. We know what happened.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2016, 02:49:24 PM »
True, the thing is, they probably would have said the same thing after every album past TJT because making a record can be very exhausting. After a while, the appetite to make another one comes back. It reminds me of when Adam said after the Joshua Tree tour or Lovetown that he didn't think they'd do big tours after that. We know what happened.

Yes, I guess they don't know any more than we do in a way. They say fame is hard to let go of and I can't see bono willing to give up on the validation he enjoys from 20000 fans whooping him on stage, not any time soon.

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »
The best thing they can do IMO is run as far away and as fast as they can from using SOA, SOE, or Songs of whatever in their album titles. SOI was a weak title already.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2016, 03:25:26 PM »
Ugh, how pretentious would it be to have a trilogy of "Song of..." albums.

Waffles

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2016, 06:03:12 PM »
It seems they feel to "have a need" to make an album, otherwise they seem kinda lost

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »
It seems they feel to "have a need" to make an album, otherwise they seem kinda lost
Well, it IS what they do...

Offline mikepd

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2016, 12:35:13 AM »
Great interview - so indoors in 2017 and lots more concerts this time. 

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 12:47:51 AM »

Hope they come back to the UK

Offline mikepd

• Stateless
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2016, 03:36:00 AM »
Yes and Play Manchster for the first time since Vertigo tour - Mc has biggest indoor arena in Europe and is often in top 2/3 for world attendances each year 
Hope they come back to the UK

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2016, 03:47:53 AM »
A this stage for my money it is best to just have no expectations of anything and just see whatever comes along.....Personally I am not bothered at all by quantity or frequency, just quality.

Now of course there is a debate that can be had over whether the band are still able to deliver or not on the quality front, but that is 1. wholly subjective and 2. gets discussed regularly anyway....So just in terms of talking about what is next/what does the future hold - for me it is really a case of Que Sera Sera!.... If they produce work that resonates with me and I enjoy it - great...If they produce work I don't like - so be it (I'll criticise it here, but it won't really matter in the general scheme of things)...If they do nothing ever again - so be it, I will always have TUF, AB, Zooropa and Pop and I can play those albums whenever I want to...

If they add to that body with another great work then hey it is a massive bonus - if they put on another show like Popmart in Leeds for example that I attend and love then again that will be another massive bonus.

There is a massive world of music out there outside of u2 anyway -and my musical world does not revolve around u2 anymore - I am sure that is the same for many here too - 2016 for example has been a stellar year for new music, there are some great up and coming artists and some older artists are enjoying near career highs/renaissances.....so much to discover and enjoy, and there will be going forward. A lot of it for me blows u2 away, especially the modern day incarnation of u2, but there is a load of stuff out there that stands up to and blows away even the u2 I love the most.

If u2 add to that this year, next year or in the future - great...If they don't, well they don't....

If your musical world revolves solely around or mainly around u2 you may feel differently of course.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:54:27 AM by an tha »

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2016, 05:20:34 AM »
An tha, I kind of agree with that. But just curious, you often talk about u2 as being almost way down the list in terms of your favourite bands etc, but spend a lot of time on this forum talking about u2. Not a criticism at all, because I mainly come here for nostalgia reasons and have no interest in bono, his personal life or political views, or Adam's favourite colour or the edges cat (no offence edges cat!)

Do you dedicate this much time following other bands and if so, who are they? Of course  this is almost a personal question and would not be offended if you told me to mind my own f****** business..