Author Topic: Adam's Skype Interview with Dave Fanning @ 40th Anniversary Party  (Read 8514 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Adam's Skype Interview with Dave Fanning @ 40th Anniversary Party
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2016, 05:46:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
An tha, I kind of agree with that. But just curious, you often talk about u2 as being almost way down the list in terms of your favourite bands etc, but spend a lot of time on this forum talking about u2. Not a criticism at all, because I mainly come here for nostalgia reasons and have no interest in bono, his personal life or political views, or Adam's favourite colour or the edges cat (no offence edges cat!)

Do you dedicate this much time following other bands and if so, who are they? Of course  this is almost a personal question and would not be offended if you told me to mind my own f****** business..

Nostalgia reasons for me too....i was a huge u2 fan in the 90's, really big and i suppose that was my first really big 'love' of a band as an adult.

I first started reading here out of curiosity and read for ages before joining - I then joined and I enjoy the community here. It is a very good forum in terms of it's membership and how the membership engage in chat...

I read some other artists forums but don't really get involved in the discussion much - I think with u2 it is that historical bond to that keeps me interested in discussing them even though I am not really like you say you aren't interested in their lives, views, etc.

I suppose I secretly think/hope that the next Pop or AB is gonna come from them as well...

Waffles

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »
I think it's inevitable we hear at least a single this year.its been mixed by lillywhite already and they rehearsed it.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2016, 01:50:44 PM »
An tha, I kind of agree with that. But just curious, you often talk about u2 as being almost way down the list in terms of your favourite bands etc, but spend a lot of time on this forum talking about u2. Not a criticism at all, because I mainly come here for nostalgia reasons and have no interest in bono, his personal life or political views, or Adam's favourite colour or the edges cat (no offence edges cat!)

Do you dedicate this much time following other bands and if so, who are they? Of course  this is almost a personal question and would not be offended if you told me to mind my own f****** business..

Nostalgia reasons for me too....i was a huge u2 fan in the 90's, really big and i suppose that was my first really big 'love' of a band as an adult.

I first started reading here out of curiosity and read for ages before joining - I then joined and I enjoy the community here. It is a very good forum in terms of it's membership and how the membership engage in chat...

I read some other artists forums but don't really get involved in the discussion much - I think with u2 it is that historical bond to that keeps me interested in discussing them even though I am not really like you say you aren't interested in their lives, views, etc.

I suppose I secretly think/hope that the next Pop or AB is gonna come from them as well...

Fair play, we're probably cut from the cloth in that regard.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2016, 01:51:22 PM »

Fair play, we're probably cut from the cloth in that regard.

Same cloth, that is.

Offline gujuju

• Babyface
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
Like others have stated in this thread, I also have strong musical interests outside of U2 (though, U2 is the band I am most passionate about given their late 80s and 90s output).

Bands who are supposedly releasing new albums in 2017 that I am excited about:  Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, Pearl Jam, National, and Grizzly Bear

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2016, 01:29:53 PM »
Like others have stated in this thread, I also have strong musical interests outside of U2 (though, U2 is the band I am most passionate about given their late 80s and 90s output).

Bands who are supposedly releasing new albums in 2017 that I am excited about:  Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, Pearl Jam, National, and Grizzly Bear

I'm glad to hear this news....just AF, PJ, and the National would keep going for the year!  I've tried to get into VW and just can't.  I need to listen to GB more, I suppose.   

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2016, 01:42:16 PM »

Interested to see what AF put out. Their last album was a fairly radical departure from their  previous work.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2016, 07:26:55 AM »

Since we're on the topic, this obscure band is my favorite discovery of late: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And for what it's worth, I wish U2 would return to a sound like this. Very dark and Achtung Baby-ish. So damn good.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2016, 09:26:31 AM »

The interview is on u2.com now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2016, 10:15:07 AM »

Since we're on the topic, this obscure band is my favorite discovery of late: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And for what it's worth, I wish U2 would return to a sound like this. Very dark and Achtung Baby-ish. So damn good.

I like that, thanks

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2016, 05:48:57 PM »

The interview is on u2.com now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ooh thanks! I love when you shared TDarby's periscope video of this same event. Adam's face was bigger there.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2016, 06:45:19 PM »

Interested to see what AF put out. Their last album was a fairly radical departure from their  previous work.

Was also a patchy albums with many songs that went on for 2 minutes too long. Hopefully they'll have a more focussed record this time around.

Offline dealme

• Babyface
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2016, 07:59:24 PM »

I'm in the same boat.  Their 90s output represents a high water mark for me, and I would love for them to recapture that vibe in some form.  As far as other bands go, I've become a huge Guided By Voices fan over the course of the last two or three years.  If the criticism with U2 is that their last few efforts have been overworked and overthought, then GBV would likely be the exact opposite of that.  So while I'm waiting ~4 yrs between U2 releases, I'm getting something from GBV or Pollard every 8 months to a year.  I guess to some extent it balances out.  I'm also looking forward to the new National release, and Mastodon is slated to release a new album next year as well.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2016, 08:07:50 PM »
Bono was on board with that criticism, and admitted he regretted SoI sounding too polished, the 70's were "rough."

The first time they think the album is done, immediately down tools and then lure The Edge somewhere remote and leave him there so they can get the album to the CD factory without more tinkering and indecision. Obviously leave enough food and water for him to survive until the album's released, then send a chopper to pick him up.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:12:45 PM by The Edges Cat »

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »
So I'm rewatching this Adam-Dave Fanning Skype interview.

Adam clearly says "This feels like the end of a cycle for us, this record [I think he's talking about SoE]. There will be some sort of change after that. We just won't be working at the same level of intensity after it. The future is wide open, it really depends on where we are in 4-5 years time."

10:40 mark on the interview

The end of an era! Less U2! They are already a part-time band as it is!