Author Topic: Will POP Get A 20th Anniversary Box Set Next Year?  (Read 4175 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Will POP Get A 20th Anniversary Box Set Next Year?
« on: October 11, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
March 2017 marks 20 years since POP.

Do the Pop fans here believe U2 should make a 20th anniversary release?

Or better stated differently: are U2 possibly secretly working on a 20th anniversary POP release while putting the new album in the backburner for now?

March 2017 isn't so far away.  If anything, there should be some buzz now and maybe a little hint or promotion.

Cheers,

J

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Will POP Get A 20th Anniversary Box Set Next Year?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 06:21:31 PM »
No.
U2 have (wrongly) disowned the album.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 06:44:47 PM »
I wish it got a remaster, but I wouldn't count on it. If U2 didn't care to celebrate R&H or HTDAAB we can't expect them to give any recognition to Pop.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:59:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No.
U2 have (wrongly) disowned the album.
^ Yeah, I'm going to have to agree - nothing's going to happen (which sucks)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »
if we didn't get an R&H reissue we sure as hell arent getting a Pop reissue.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 11:11:04 PM »
I think we can't compare it to Rattle and Hum because it might be difficult to re-issue that because of the licensing rights Paramout Pictures has for the film - so it might be complicated.  Besides, we can still get a 30th anniversary re-issue for 2018.

As for HTDAAB - it's too soon to re-issue that.  It's still fresh in U2's minds, and a couple of its songs have been regulars in the setlist and become U2 staples.

POP would have been a great candidate for a 20th anniversary boxed set.  It could include:
-POP album (original)
-new POP album (re-worked, which would have single versions of most songs or the Best Of 1990-2000 version, plus the alleged reworking of Playboy Mansion which was supposed to be the B-side to Hands That Built America if it were to be a commercially released single but wasn't)
-they could even add the Passengers album
-DVD with "A Year In POP" documentary, Popmart Live In Mexico video
-they also have a wealth of live material from the POPMart era which were b-sides to commercially released singles
-Hasta La Vista fan club CD
-Pop remixes and b-sides
-Popheart EP

There really is an abundance of POP material to merit a boxed set release, notwithstanding the quality of the album.

Cheers,

J

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 12:16:44 AM »
But they don't want to go back to that era because they are embarrassed by it. 

As I've said many times before, the music of Pop is under appreciated.   But they did themselves no favors putting on a silly show that did not do the music justice.  I know some loved Pop Mart.  But it could have been so, so much more.

That said, I'd love to hear a remaster.  Unfortunately there's only about 50 people who want to hear it and they are all on this forum!

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Will POP Get A 20th Anniversary Box Set Next Year?
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 01:45:49 AM »
Not gonna happen. They've spent the last 18 years pretending that era never existed, I don't see them celebrate it any time soon.

On top of that, even if they wanted to release a box set, it wouldn't be profitable since, apart from hardcore fans, most people aren't even aware U2 made an album called Pop.

It's the sad and tragic burden of their best period: the curse of an album too innovative, bold and ahead of its time.
Perhaps, after their retirement, it will be re evaluated like some Beatles records, but not now.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 06:16:27 AM »
No, it won't.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 07:31:14 AM »
Given a new album is scheduled to come out around that time I can't see why they'd want to reissue anything.  It'd be a different matter if they were on sabbatical in 2017.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 07:47:07 AM »
Jick's Pop trolling is very subtle and always raises a smile!

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 08:50:22 AM »
THe only way I'd want to see it is if they did something like they did with AB and release early versions (Kindergarten mix) of the songs.  Unfortunately, U2 will never do that. 

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 08:54:09 AM »
Considering that RAH and Zooropa were ignored (the random addition of it in the AB set doesn't count) then there's no way Pop will get anything. We can't even get them to play one of its songs on tour!

iehomecoming

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 10:16:58 AM »
Jick's Pop trolling is very subtle and always raises a smile!

As subtle as a Donald Trump leaked tape.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 10:20:39 AM »
I think we can't compare it to Rattle and Hum because it might be difficult to re-issue that because of the licensing rights Paramout Pictures has for the film - so it might be complicated.  Besides, we can still get a 30th anniversary re-issue for 2018.

As for HTDAAB - it's too soon to re-issue that.  It's still fresh in U2's minds, and a couple of its songs have been regulars in the setlist and become U2 staples.

POP would have been a great candidate for a 20th anniversary boxed set.  It could include:
-POP album (original)
-new POP album (re-worked, which would have single versions of most songs or the Best Of 1990-2000 version, plus the alleged reworking of Playboy Mansion which was supposed to be the B-side to Hands That Built America if it were to be a commercially released single but wasn't)
-they could even add the Passengers album
-DVD with "A Year In POP" documentary, Popmart Live In Mexico video
-they also have a wealth of live material from the POPMart era which were b-sides to commercially released singles
-Hasta La Vista fan club CD
-Pop remixes and b-sides
-Popheart EP

There really is an abundance of POP material to merit a boxed set release, notwithstanding the quality of the album.

Cheers,

J
If the Playboy Mansion had been a hard to find B-side to The Hands That Built America, it would be called the greatest song of theirs on here.