Author Topic: Will POP Get A 20th Anniversary Box Set Next Year?  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Re: Will POP Get A 20th Anniversary Box Set Next Year?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 11:44:05 AM »
A Pop box set would be awesome, and they certainly have enough material for one, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. Maybe in 20 years.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 11:46:38 AM »
It wold be nice if they did.  I remember 6-10 years ago when the band released something every year, either a DVD, remastered album or deluxe edition album.  They should go back to that.

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 12:05:03 PM »
early and alternate mixes of Pop songs, as well as outtakes, would be incredible.  They could even include songs recorded during Zooropa that ended up on Pop.

Something like Medium Rare Remastered for 93-97 would be awesome.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It wold be nice if they did.  I remember 6-10 years ago when the band released something every year, either a DVD, remastered album or deluxe edition album.  They should go back to that.

I miss those times. At least it gave us a sliver of something U2-related to enjoy between albums. I remember seeing the swag bags on the 360 Tour advertising the remasters and it said "More to follow." They released Achtung Baby and then they dried up. It always made me wonder if they planned to do more or just tossed that out there as a vague promise.

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 01:04:04 PM »
Won't happen. Not enough people would purchase it to justify the cost of putting together something like this. Even if U2 wanted to, I can't see a record label putting it into production. And if a record label did want to do it for some reason, I highly doubt U2 wants to remind casual U2 listeners and fans of the Pop era.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 02:18:03 PM »
What ecadad said.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »
to bad they wont do a "digital deluxe edition" and not have to mess with a box set. i mean i know we'd all like to have a box set but putting the HK mixes, unreleased songs, etc on itunes wouldn't cost them anything would it?

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 04:30:40 PM »
yeah, it would be minimal work and low cost. they'd just have to get the outtakes mastered.  it would be a perfect fanclub/itunes release.

Offline Flashbax

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 04:56:28 PM »
I would love that. Oasis will release their Be Here Now reissue on 14 October and Noel Gallagher hates that album. But I don't think it would make sense to reissue it a the same time when they got an album coming out.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »
But let's get serious, U2 won't ever put out a minimal cost/effort anything.  The first three albums remaster box set is probably about as 'small' as they can manage.  Even the i.e. concert DVD was a giant deluxe edition release.  They will only go big.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
I would love that. Oasis will release their Be Here Now reissue on 14 October and Noel Gallagher hates that album. But I don't think it would make sense to reissue it a the same time when they got an album coming out.

well NLOTH and the TUF box set were both 09.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 05:38:42 PM »

well NLOTH and the TUF box set were both 09.
I still don't think Noel hates that album all that much.  Think he publically mirrors what a popular opinion is, and if anything, don't think he enjoyed making that album and is when drugs started to take over a bit too much so probably brings up bad memories.  The music is still damn good.  Many people say it was Princess Di's death a week after its release that ultimately doomed it.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 05:49:21 PM »
Noel hates everything he's done. He only likes 2 songs off WTSMG. He's kinda like Bono in you just ignore what he says about his own music. Noel is funny as HELL though.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2016, 06:24:55 PM »
At this point I'd just settle for a vinyl reissue of their 90's and 2000's albums.

• Refugee
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 07:19:01 PM »
I don't understand why bands don't release more live stuff and outtakes.  The internet makes it easy to get that stuff out and make it clear that it's not part of the official discography.  Bands say that they don't want to rip fans off with second rate stuff, so why not just charge less, or nothing and get it out there?