Author Topic: Will POP Get A 20th Anniversary Box Set Next Year?  (Read 4181 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Re: Will POP Get A 20th Anniversary Box Set Next Year?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 08:26:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
early and alternate mixes of Pop songs, as well as outtakes, would be incredible.  They could even include songs recorded during Zooropa that ended up on Pop.

Something like Medium Rare Remastered for 93-97 would be awesome.

Zooropa was past of the Achtung boxed set.

POP would not have a lot of early/alternate mixes because the album itself is the early mix.  It was after the release that they fixed it.  There is a story that they recorded the backing vocals to Last Night On Earth in the mixing room.

But we are just splitting hairs here to see what can be included.  The reality is that POP probably has the most after-release-material of any U2 album which makes it deserving for a boxed set.

POP was actually the "poppiest" U2 album - being the one single album that spawned the most singles ever.

Cheers,

J

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2016, 12:17:36 AM »
THe only way I'd want to see it is if they did something like they did with AB and release early versions (Kindergarten mix) of the songs.  Unfortunately, U2 will never do that. 

I want that 2-minute guitar intro put back on WUDM.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2016, 05:51:06 AM »
I don't understand why bands don't release more live stuff and outtakes.  The internet makes it easy to get that stuff out and make it clear that it's not part of the official discography.  Bands say that they don't want to rip fans off with second rate stuff, so why not just charge less, or nothing and get it out there?

i think it is mainly big artists who sold their souls to the likes of livenation who are the most guilty of not putting stuff out there...

problem is when you take a big wedge of cash off these people you then give them control over what goes to market - records, gigs etc...and they aren't gonna let you give away or sell cheaply what they can charge a bomb for and make back the money they gave you.... 'Digital Distribution' was one of the areas u2 sold to livenation...

it is why we see gig tickets at nearly 200 quid...u2 took the money from livenation and now the fans have to make sure livenation get their return...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:56:09 AM by an tha »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 08:22:53 AM »

POP was actually the "poppiest" U2 album - being the one single album that spawned the most singles ever.

Cheers,

J

Splitting hairs, but I think the decision to release more singles was more driven by marketing and the record company, and was likely a result of the success of AB before it.  And to be fair, most of those singles that were released didn't do much in the charts.  Please, Mofo, and LNOE all had little effect, and I don't think IGWSHA had the intended impact.

iehomecoming

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2016, 08:42:28 AM »

Cheers,

J

Splitting hairs, but I think the decision to release more singles was more driven by marketing and the record company, and was likely a result of the success of AB before it.  And to be fair, most of those singles that were released didn't do much in the charts.  Please, Mofo, and LNOE all had little effect, and I don't think IGWSHA had the intended impact.

In some worlds only Pop bands release singles apparently.

Musically Pop was the band's last rock album.

Irony doesn't translate to Tagalog. They think it means "lots of Fe"

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2016, 08:55:15 AM »

Zooropa was past of the Achtung boxed set.

POP would not have a lot of early/alternate mixes because the album itself is the early mix.  It was after the release that they fixed it.  There is a story that they recorded the backing vocals to Last Night On Earth in the mixing room.

Cheers,

J

Zooropa was in the Achtung Box but there were no outtakes from it.

Pop is not an early mix. The album was finished, and there were early mixes and alternate versions of songs. They were spoken about in interviews and you can hear them in the 1996 Pop video, whatever it's called.  And there are surely songs they recorded that were left off the album, and different mixes and arrangements that were made.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2016, 09:52:23 AM »
All I can say is.  I hope they release this in all of its glory with early versions and later versions of songs. 

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2016, 10:12:34 AM »
Needs a mini-silver lemon keychain.  Paperweight would be better, but sure it would be a keychain.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2016, 10:25:38 AM »
I do think that someday... may be a long time from now someday... U2 will revisit the album for the sake of money and give us a release.  I think they'll realize that it isn't the horrible album it is, and in terms of casual listeners, it'll be the U2 album that was forgotten (perhaps a long with Zooropa).  It seems like all bands and musicians revisit even their least known albums. 

Afterall, it's out there and represents potential sales, especially when it represents an album that has potentially reached fewer listeners unlike JT, AB, War, etc. 

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2016, 10:39:41 AM »
I'm starting to think that in-between two two relatively quick albums (for their standards) isn't the time the band would want to re-release an old album.  Maybe for the 25th anniversary...

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2016, 05:34:07 PM »
Probably not, but who knows.

They almost had to do it with AB, but to me, it was a lot of glitter and no gold. I thought the ‘Kindergarten’ disc had a few interesting things on it, but mostly just inferior mixes of the songs. Overall, that entire box set had some gems, but as someone else made mention to … they supersized it. I bought the 24 bit version from HDtrax, and it’s a bit cleaned-up, but not really completely remastered. I love that part in ‘From the Sky Down’, where Edge is playing the beginning of ‘Wild Horses’ in the studio. It’s loud, it’s in your face and it’s not overproduced. I love that stuff, and I’d love to hear parts of Pop in that way. If not that, then just clean it up sonically.
Probably won’t happen, though.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2016, 06:12:05 PM »

Cheers,

J

In some worlds only Pop bands release singles apparently.

Musically Pop was the band's last rock album.

Irony doesn't translate to Tagalog. They think it means "lots of Fe"

I'm not sure where the Tagalog reference is from but I understand/read/speak much better English than Tagalog.  The language I speak is called Cebuano or Bisaya.

As for Pop being the band's last "rock album" that is just a matter of opinion.

Facts are quantifiable and real such as number of singles released from an album.

Now this is just an opinion or assumption but: "a lot of commercially released cd singles means a lot of b-sides, live tracks, and remixes" which to me translates to a lot of material for a possible POP boxed set.

Cheers,

J

iehomecoming

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2016, 08:22:57 AM »
Looks like Ceb doesn't have irony either then.

Pop is a Rock album, that's not opinion, a musical genre can simply be determined by using one's ears. I assume at some you did listen to Pop because while Bono et al still thought it was a good album I know for a fact that you did too.

Their subsequent disowning of it assures that we won't get any lavish remaster/box set, but it's still their last rock opinion (fact) and their last great album (opinion).

Frankly if they murder the songs the way they did on the Best of I don't know that I want them tinkering with it.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2016, 08:48:15 AM »
Looks like Ceb doesn't have irony either then.

Pop is a Rock album, that's not opinion, a musical genre can simply be determined by using one's ears. I assume at some you did listen to Pop because while Bono et al still thought it was a good album I know for a fact that you did too.

Their subsequent disowning of it assures that we won't get any lavish remaster/box set, but it's still their last rock opinion (fact) and their last great album (opinion).

Frankly if they murder the songs the way they did on the Best of I don't know that I want them tinkering with it.

You do realize all your facts or just a matter of opinion, right?  I happen to agree (generally) with your opinion, but there are bound to be some here that will argue that 1) HTDAAB was a rock album... it is if you consider what rock has become and 2) there are some that don't like Pop that might argue that AB was the last great rock album U2 made. 

However, Pop ended up being an unfortunate album title, which has been discussed numerous times in the past.  ATYCLB is the album that probably should have been called Pop, but that is just my opinion too.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2016, 10:09:13 AM »

However, Pop ended up being an unfortunate album title, which has been discussed numerous times in the past.  ATYCLB is the album that probably should have been called Pop, but that is just my opinion too.

Hadn't really considered it before, but yeah, "Pop" as a title was a mistake.  It ether invited the audience to dismiss the songs as frivolous and unserious, or it invited the audience to take issue with U2 taking a self-conscious, pretentious pose with their music.  Neither result is good.  And some of the alternatives were just as bad, if not worse.  "Novelty Act"?  Bleah.