Author Topic: E-mail is pretty out there  (Read 3667 times)

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
E-mail is pretty out there
« on: September 29, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »
If you choose not to hide your e-mail in your profile, it is available as a plain mailto: link in the form.  I have mine turned off, so you won't see a link for my email.  But check some of the other post and look for the e-mail graphic.  Seems like it'd be too easy for people and spammers to abuse that.

I think the default setting for this should be "hidden" as not everybody may think to hide their e-mail.  I'd even go so far as to say that it should be disabled  altogether if possible.  People can alway PM each other if needed or type their email in their post if they really want to do that.

This is my first post here...  Looking good so far.

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: E-mail is pretty out there
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 03:33:06 PM »
I just realized I can see an e-mail graphic for my own post.  Can the rest of you see my e-mail address?  It's supposed to be hidden.

Offline edgefan89

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 10:31:50 AM »
I cant see your email address

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 02:17:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just realized I can see an e-mail graphic for my own post.  Can the rest of you see my e-mail address?  It's supposed to be hidden.

Yeah I was wondering about that too, can anyone tell me if mine is visible?  It looks like it is to me.

Alton Dalton

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:43:55 PM »

Yeah I was wondering about that too, can anyone tell me if mine is visible?  It looks like it is to me.

No, it's hidden.

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 02:45:22 PM »

No, it's hidden.

Thanks a lot!

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 02:36:16 PM »
Glad to hear the email actually isn't showing when it's turned off.  Still it's kind of disconcerting to see your own e-mail.   I can see people wondering "Did I really turn it off in the settings? I'd better double check."