Author Topic: No real news-all lame  (Read 826 times)

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
No real news-all lame
« on: November 08, 2016, 06:41:07 AM »
Jeesh,
 sure wish that was some real- exciting news to discuss or comment on.. like new music..please- give us a  song or two..Christmas song, new cover,one off tune-anything to be excited about..all these endless poles,analyzing  albums from 30 yrs..marching for Hillary, collecting meaningless awards & prizes attended only  by wealthy folks and music industry exec's.. give us something to cheer about..one album release date changes first from 2015 to spring,then fall 2016,now to 2017..

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: No real news-all lame
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 10:45:04 AM »
Sad to say, but "legacy acts" like U2 probably aren't the acts to follow when you want regular, frequent new stuff to talk about.  We've been on a 4+ year schedule for major news and releases for years now.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 10:59:56 AM »
2 years since last record.....in u2 world that is like yesterday.

Relax and listen to some old u2 or some other stuff...

Like this belter of a song:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 11:11:54 AM »

The good thing about this forum is I do tend to listen to U2 more when I'm looking at this forum.

I'm listening to TUF right now.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 11:23:20 AM »
Fans should be used to these dry spells by now. It's a good time to delve into other artists and discover some new music.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 12:15:12 PM »

The good thing about this forum is I do tend to listen to U2 more when I'm looking at this forum.

I'm listening to TUF right now.

I rarely listen to u2 now but when i do TUF is a favourite.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 02:36:01 PM »
Yes, 2+ years since a U2 release isn't a long time for U2 nowadays.  But also yes, no real news is a bummer, when the winds seemed to forecast a quick follow-up (fool me once, shame on you -- fool me 100 times, I should get my head examined).  I've went through a fairly abundant year for new (or rediscovered) music, so I have that going for me, which is nice (--Bill Murray).  But it would also be nice to have some new U2 music. 

Usually my anticipation for a new U2 album gets really stoked when they first give a release date, and then when they release the new album's first single.  It's like knowing Christmas is coming when you're a kid.  It's been nearly eight (!!!) years since that happened last with No Line on the Horizon.  The last album, obviously, didn't have that component.  And when it came....  Though I like all U2 albums, alas, the last one is near the bottom in my U2antheon. 

My money was on a new U2 album this past September.  But since that didn't happen and since there doesn't appear to be any new finds on the horizon, I've just shrugged my shoulders.  Maybe because for the first time in my life, I'm not sure they can put out anything anymore to pump new blood through these old veins.  That's probably to be expected with a band at this stage in their careers.  And maybe that's okay and they've deserved that right, and I still love their vast back catalogue...  I've also been spinning Unforgettable Fire predominantly this year.  I just thought that if one band could still throw out a curveball humdinger at this stage in their career, it would be the band U2. 

With this much presumed second guessing (based on the fact the band said they were 70% done with the next album two years ago), I'm almost wary for a new release.  In fact, in November of 2016, I'd be more interested to see what the individual members of U2 would come up with if they did music on their own for a little while.  Then, Bono could do a solo album of collaborations with the pop kids, The Edge could come up with an album of all sorts of crazy sounds.  Even Adam and Larry could do something really interesting (remember, they have the furthest charting song from any  U2 member with their "Mission Impossible" song in the U.S. at #7 since 1992).

So with that in mind, to answer the question -- I'd love to hear new U2 music.  But my expectations for what that new music would sound like are at an all-time low.  But this band has given me so much and owe me nothing.  So I'll just wait and see, and when it comes, it comes.  And if, when it comes, it spins my head around, well bully for me, and bully for U2.       

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »
Probably why election talk has taken over :p

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 07:44:27 AM »
Yes, 2+ years since a U2 release isn't a long time for U2 nowadays.  But also yes, no real news is a bummer, when the winds seemed to forecast a quick follow-up (fool me once, shame on you -- fool me 100 times, I should get my head examined).  I've went through a fairly abundant year for new (or rediscovered) music, so I have that going for me, which is nice (--Bill Murray).  But it would also be nice to have some new U2 music. 

Usually my anticipation for a new U2 album gets really stoked when they first give a release date, and then when they release the new album's first single.  It's like knowing Christmas is coming when you're a kid.  It's been nearly eight (!!!) years since that happened last with No Line on the Horizon.  The last album, obviously, didn't have that component.  And when it came....  Though I like all U2 albums, alas, the last one is near the bottom in my U2antheon. 

My money was on a new U2 album this past September.  But since that didn't happen and since there doesn't appear to be any new finds on the horizon, I've just shrugged my shoulders.  Maybe because for the first time in my life, I'm not sure they can put out anything anymore to pump new blood through these old veins.  That's probably to be expected with a band at this stage in their careers.  And maybe that's okay and they've deserved that right, and I still love their vast back catalogue...  I've also been spinning Unforgettable Fire predominantly this year.  I just thought that if one band could still throw out a curveball humdinger at this stage in their career, it would be the band U2. 

With this much presumed second guessing (based on the fact the band said they were 70% done with the next album two years ago), I'm almost wary for a new release.  In fact, in November of 2016, I'd be more interested to see what the individual members of U2 would come up with if they did music on their own for a little while.  Then, Bono could do a solo album of collaborations with the pop kids, The Edge could come up with an album of all sorts of crazy sounds.  Even Adam and Larry could do something really interesting (remember, they have the furthest charting song from any  U2 member with their "Mission Impossible" song in the U.S. at #7 since 1992).

So with that in mind, to answer the question -- I'd love to hear new U2 music.  But my expectations for what that new music would sound like are at an all-time low.  But this band has given me so much and owe me nothing.  So I'll just wait and see, and when it comes, it comes.  And if, when it comes, it spins my head around, well bully for me, and bully for U2.       

Wow-thank you ! This was exactly my sentiment..perhaps I wouldn't be as anxious and disappointed if Bono didn't state 2 yrs ago the new album was nearly finished..but I agree w you 100 %  on why not side projects..?!! I know I would love anything Edge would put out,man,if he came up w (Achtung baby)  like solos..the man is a genius..sort of like Brandon (Flowers) of Killers..he puts out decent albums..I really liked his last effort..speaking of slackers (the Killers) !!