Author Topic: U2 at Bonnaroo. According to /r/bonnaroo the rumors are flooding in  (Read 11333 times)

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
Re: U2 at Bonnaroo. According to /r/bonnaroo the rumors are flooding in
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2016, 09:08:30 AM »
I can't imagine U2 playing another festival after Glastonbury, nor can I imagine a festival booking U2. They're still very popular, but too many people hate them for them to be added to a festival bill. 

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2016, 04:43:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I can't imagine U2 playing another festival after Glastonbury, nor can I imagine a festival booking U2. They're still very popular, but too many people hate them for them to be added to a festival bill.

To be fair, people hate a lot of bands that have headlined festivals like Lolla, Bonnaroo, Coachella etc. For instance, many people despise Coldplay and yet they've played those types of festivals several times.

Also, older bands like U2 have played festivals recently, so the idea of them playing Bonnaroo isn't terribly farfetched. New Order and the Cure both played Lolla in 2013, Paul McCartney and Tom Petty played 'roo in 2013, Billy Joel played in 2015, Elton John was there in 2014 etc. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2016, 04:51:43 PM »

u2 were burned by Glastonbury as well - they expected to blow the place away with a classic glasto set that created a real glastonbury moment....they didn't.

Their and indeed the broadcasters disappointment was quite clear - the interview afterwards with known u2 sycophants was a very awkward affair where the tone from interviewers and band was a million miles away from triumphant and barely steered clear of 'that didn't quite go as hoped did it'...

Add in them bringing their own extra screens and walkway - the ridiculous set up time, they were at it all day even during morrisseys set and I heard runours it caused problems (why is it other bands could just plug and play) the accident where their computer rig was crashed into backstage and the ultimately meh reaction to them has in my view turned them off doing another.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 04:57:40 PM by an tha »

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2016, 05:59:39 PM »

u2 were burned by Glastonbury as well - they expected to blow the place away with a classic glasto set that created a real glastonbury moment....they didn't.

Their and indeed the broadcasters disappointment was quite clear - the interview afterwards with known u2 sycophants was a very awkward affair where the tone from interviewers and band was a million miles away from triumphant and barely steered clear of 'that didn't quite go as hoped did it'...

Add in them bringing their own extra screens and walkway - the ridiculous set up time, they were at it all day even during morrisseys set and I heard runours it caused problems (why is it other bands could just plug and play) the accident where their computer rig was crashed into backstage and the ultimately meh reaction to them has in my view turned them off doing another.

They are one of only possibly three or four bands left on the planet who can be "bigger than" the festival.  It's not a good fit for them. 
Having a Glastonbury set that was "Themed" around a past point in their career made no sense for Glastonbury, and must have been just for From The Sky Down. 

They're not a festival band. There's nothing wrong with that. A lot of local politicians dream of some day sitting in Congress. The President usually does not. 

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2016, 10:57:14 PM »

Never heard about this before, but that is insane. They never should have brought their own stuff (beyond the instruments/amps etc.). Completely goes against the idea of doing a festival where other artists play before/after you and where everything has been setup by the staff days in advance in such a way that it accommodates all the artists.

I'm sure this gave them a bit of a bad reputation for festivals, too. Deservedly so.

I can't speak to how good they sounded/played at Glastonbury (although I do remember seeing the setlist and not caring for it), but the one thing that did blow me away is that something like a day and a half later, they played a great gig in Michigan (all that travel, playing a huge festival, and then playing a really good set less than 2 days later).

If Glastonbury is how they will approach future festivals, then I'd agree, festivals definitely aren't their thing. Maybe they'll learn from it, figure out how to craft a festival format setlist that honors their whole career, and for gods sake, leave the extra equipment at home. You don't want to appear even more pretentious than people already view you as being.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2016, 03:41:18 AM »
Beyonce had her own stage installed at Glastonbury  same weekend so its nothing new

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2016, 06:55:02 AM »
Beyonce had her own stage installed at Glastonbury  same weekend so its nothing new

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

There is absolutely nothing diva like or pretentious about Beyonce is there....

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2016, 06:57:09 AM »

Never heard about this before, but that is insane. They never should have brought their own stuff (beyond the instruments/amps etc.). Completely goes against the idea of doing a festival where other artists play before/after you and where everything has been setup by the staff days in advance in such a way that it accommodates all the artists.

I'm sure this gave them a bit of a bad reputation for festivals, too. Deservedly so.

I can't speak to how good they sounded/played at Glastonbury (although I do remember seeing the setlist and not caring for it), but the one thing that did blow me away is that something like a day and a half later, they played a great gig in Michigan (all that travel, playing a huge festival, and then playing a really good set less than 2 days later).

If Glastonbury is how they will approach future festivals, then I'd agree, festivals definitely aren't their thing. Maybe they'll learn from it, figure out how to craft a festival format setlist that honors their whole career, and for gods sake, leave the extra equipment at home. You don't want to appear even more pretentious than people already view you as being.

Wasn't the setlist largely what they were playing at the time on the tour...? All the technical wizadry, myriad of back up tracks, pre recorded parts etc would be all set up for that...

u2 have long since stopped being a plug and play band - be great if they were.

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2016, 07:20:45 AM »
I wonder if U2 can be a plug and play band anymore after so many years of playing with backing tapes, click tracks, IEM queues.  All of those things help keep them in time.

I'd love it if they just brought up an auxiliary member - Daniel Lanois, cough cough - to play guitar and keys, and totally ditched the backing tracks.  If Rush can play without backing tracks....

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2016, 01:01:49 PM »
ah but they are so much more than a mere band.  they are an experience.  a lifestyle.  a state of being.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2016, 04:15:03 PM »
I can't really see what's so bad about their Glastonbury performance.  I've watched it a few times, seems like a standard concert they'd have done in 2011.  There were a few "screw ups", but those things happen, and I really doubt many in the audience would've even noticed.  That said, the time to do it would've been the Elevation Tour.  Just watch the Slane DVD and imagine that energy at Glastonbury. 

Also, bands like Muse and Coldplay use backing tracks too, and bring a lot of their personal elements to festivals like Glastonbury all the time.  I think U2 and U2's crew have just gotten used to doing things their own way, having not played festivals since the Unforgettable Fire era. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:17:38 PM by podiumboy »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »
I can't really see what's so bad about their Glastonbury performance.  I've watched it a few times, seems like a standard concert they'd have done in 2011.  There were a few "screw ups", but those things happen, and I really doubt many in the audience would've even noticed.  That said, the time to do it would've been the Elevation Tour.  Just watch the Slane DVD and imagine that energy at Glastonbury. 

Also, bands like Muse and Coldplay use backing tracks too, and bring a lot of their personal elements to festivals like Glastonbury all the time.  I think U2 and U2's crew have just gotten used to doing things their own way, having not played festivals since the Unforgettable Fire era.

I don't think it was especially bad...it just wasn't especially good - it was just sort of ok ish.

as for backing...u2's has got out of control in my view - i honestly wonder just how much is live these days - invisible for example on last tour when they stood in the screen - it looked and sounded like hardly any of it bono aside was truly pure live.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2016, 04:37:37 PM »

I don't think it was especially bad...it just wasn't especially good - it was just sort of ok ish.

as for backing...u2's has got out of control in my view - i honestly wonder just how much is live these days - invisible for example on last tour when they stood in the screen - it looked and sounded like hardly any of it bono aside was truly pure live.

What irked me about Invisible was that the (simple but cool) guitar solo was playback and Edge was instead strumming some lazy chords. A real wtf moment and obvious on the DVD.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2016, 04:42:59 PM »

What irked me about Invisible was that the (simple but cool) guitar solo was playback and Edge was instead strumming some lazy chords. A real wtf moment and obvious on the DVD.

not seen the dvd but yes i know what you mean...

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2016, 04:49:47 PM »
I just watched Invisible from that DVD last night, and I had the same WTF moment.  Might have been a moment where Bono would've played the rhythm guitar, had he been able to.  I've always thought U2 could benefit from having an auxillary musician on stage with them.  Somebody that would play rhythm guitar, keyboards (while not taking Terry's job), doing some extra backing vocals, etc.