Author Topic: Trump victory to change U2 album?  (Read 6235 times)

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
Re: Trump victory to change U2 album?
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2016, 12:38:15 AM »
Bono loses $74 million in edun
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2016, 04:23:23 AM »

'tax efficiency' will ensure those losses don't hurt.

whole thing is a rich mans folly - so does not really matter.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2016, 10:21:14 AM »

Right but just proves my point B-man isn't the business god we thought he is.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2016, 10:07:47 PM »

Right but just proves my point B-man isn't the business god we thought he is.

No one said he was. If you go back to my post, I said he most certainly is not a business man, but that he's never filed for bankruptcy 4 times like someone else...much less even once, to my knowledge. (correct me if I'm wrong on that)

Losses are fairly normal in the fashion business--ESPECIALLY for a clothing line like theirs which, to my knowledge, is expensive/luxury goods. Also for one that is a start-up.

It sucks, but it's not at all surprising. I'd be shocked if they turn a profit anytime soon, usually takes a bit of time to break even in the business.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2016, 11:22:48 PM »
I started saying it, so yes there's 1 in me.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2016, 02:33:46 AM »
So you think Trump is smart?  What makes you think this? What has he said or done that makes you stop and say that's brilliant?  He talked in word salad at the debates. So I'm asking what you have seen or know that I don't?

He took out 17 experienced GOP candidates and the most heavily backed democrat of all time to win the presidency of the United States.  He built a multi-billion dollar business empire.  He raised a wonderful family.  And became a Reality TV star along the way.

Trump also talks the language of the people and from the gut, which was a huge advantage in this election.

Do you still not get it?  Really?

He "took out" GOP candidates by being the loudest and going the furthest/lowest with his comments. How else would he do it ?

Businessman ? I thought he filed for bancrupcy several times....as for family, I don't know. I hope they are the best thing about him. Reality TV stardom is meaningless when one campains for a presidential spot IMO.

Language of the people ? You mean his incoherent babble on the debates ? His disgusting myzoginistic and racist rhetoric ? His anti minorities stances ? I would hope his isn't the language of common Americans. His own party disowned him and his own team blocked his twitter account ! That's how great he is.

I think he won by a) demonizing Hillary and b) promoting himself as the anti-establishment guy. *

*notice how the anti establishment guy has old school Reps like Giuliani or Gingrich on his team.

I don't know, I think there's two options with him : he *is* all those things he said in the campaign and we can all worry about the next 4 years. Or, he just spouted that crap to get elected and will, relatively speaking, get more "presidential" now. In which case he's a conman. For example, notice how he's piped down on "lock down Hillary" talk, or he he went from "we will destroy Obamacare" to "we might keep some stuff".

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »
This kind of thing could be a recent problem of the band.  In their minds, the new album which they’re working on has a “joyful” sound.  But now after the election, the worldview is glum (in their minds, since they seemed to denounce Trump).  So now the new record doesn’t reflect that, so back to the drawing board they go.  Or, the new album is darker, and they don’t want to lay that sort of thing on the world right now, so they better go back in and make everything joyful.  Or vice versa or whathaveyou. 

When in reality if you’re being honest, most of the parts of these songs have been volleyed around and recycled for a decade plus, so they really don’t represent any time in particular, so what does it really matter?   

I don’t know.  I’m just making it up as I go along, but to answer your question – I don’t think it takes much to change an album for 21st century U2.  True artists shouldn’t look for opinion from focus groups or feelers.  I hope U2 doesn’t, because when U2 were most successful (in my mind), they sounded like nothing else that was going on at the time.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2016, 09:02:21 PM »
So you think Trump is smart?  What makes you think this? What has he said or done that makes you stop and say that's brilliant?  He talked in word salad at the debates. So I'm asking what you have seen or know that I don't?

He took out 17 experienced GOP candidates and the most heavily backed democrat of all time to win the presidency of the United States.  He built a multi-billion dollar business empire.  He raised a wonderful family.  And became a Reality TV star along the way.

Trump also talks the language of the people and from the gut, which was a huge advantage in this election.

Do you still not get it?  Really?

He "took out" GOP candidates by being the loudest and going the furthest/lowest with his comments. How else would he do it ?

Businessman ? I thought he filed for bancrupcy several times....as for family, I don't know. I hope they are the best thing about him. Reality TV stardom is meaningless when one campains for a presidential spot IMO.

Language of the people ? You mean his incoherent babble on the debates ? His disgusting myzoginistic and racist rhetoric ? His anti minorities stances ? I would hope his isn't the language of common Americans. His own party disowned him and his own team blocked his twitter account ! That's how great he is.

I think he won by a) demonizing Hillary and b) promoting himself as the anti-establishment guy. *

*notice how the anti establishment guy has old school Reps like Giuliani or Gingrich on his team.

I don't know, I think there's two options with him : he *is* all those things he said in the campaign and we can all worry about the next 4 years. Or, he just spouted that crap to get elected and will, relatively speaking, get more "presidential" now. In which case he's a conman. For example, notice how he's piped down on "lock down Hillary" talk, or he he went from "we will destroy Obamacare" to "we might keep some stuff".

Do you think people took his words literally? No, they didn't. These changes would not throw everything out the window.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »
I think Bono can still work with the GOP--If he could work with Helms these modern GOPers are p**** cats

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »
I think Bono can still work with the GOP--If he could work with Helms these modern GOPers are p**** cats

Just reading that cracked me up.  Work with them! :D

Bono 'uses' politicians to advance his pet causes but savvy politicians should only give Bono the time of day if they can 'use' him to their own political advantage. 

The real question is can Trump work with the GOP?  But that is a question for another thread.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »
When Obama was elected I recall Bono saying something to the effect of 'this is a guy we can do business with' or something like that. 

It was so lame, and so arrogant.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2016, 12:15:35 PM »
Use him; use them that's politics; no body in politics does anything for altruism.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2016, 04:02:50 PM »
When Obama was elected I recall Bono saying something to the effect of 'this is a guy we can do business with' or something like that. 

They did seem to be quite friendly with Obama, whatwith letting him use COBL and playing the inauguration. Doesn't surprise me that he'd be easy to deal with regarding AIDS research contributions.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2016, 04:55:06 PM »

They did seem to be quite friendly with Obama, whatwith letting him use COBL and playing the inauguration. Doesn't surprise me that he'd be easy to deal with regarding AIDS research contributions.

I think he meant the comment he says Bono made about doing business with Obama or whatever is lame and arrogant.  Unlike when Margaret Thatcher said of Mikhail Gorbachev: this is a man I can do business with, Bono isn’t a political world leader he’s just a celebrity lobbyist lobbying the U.S. government for tax dollars to fund his pet causes, while back home U2 manipulate international tax laws to avoid tax.  If Bono thinks that showing one face to his left-wing audience holding his nose and then turning around and smiling at President Trump with his other face while holding out his hand is going to manipulate Trump into doing what he wants then he’s got another thing coming.  Trump’s way too savvy for those kind of games. 

And the U.S. showed more commitment to funding Aids treatment in Africa under the Bush administration than under Obama’s, with President Bush’s PEPFAR/Emergency plan.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2016, 06:21:32 PM »
We all know that U2 are Irish right?