Author Topic: U2 quitting touring to concentrate on song writing ?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
U2 quitting touring to concentrate on song writing ?
« on: November 18, 2016, 06:09:39 AM »
In a 3 year period, after Revolver and their last tour, The Beatles released well over 100 new songs. Several of them classics, together with some duds. To be fair they were also prodigious while touring, which was and always will be the exception to the rule.

U2 and other big bands today will never churn out albums while touring. They will also never release over 100 songs in a 3 year period if they stopped touring. However if touring stopped, surely an album a year could be released.

Touring is very important for U2. And very important for the fans. However U2 don't need the money and new material will still sell without a tour.  Fans are fans because they like the music.

Songs of Innocence showed U2 can still write good songs. In the twilight of their creativity,  would fans prefer a break from touring and a final flurry of songs over the next few years, or the usual album/tour scenario ?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:12:54 AM by zoo adam »

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
Re: U2 quitting touring to concentrate on song writing ?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 06:18:31 AM »
It would great if the band concentrated on making a late career magical trilogy, but there's no money in it so why would they bother?

Back in the 1960s releasing new music was where the money was, while touring was largely a tax write-off used for promotional purposes. 

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 06:19:04 AM »
U2 love to tour. They love to play live music for their fans. So...

I want another tour...I'm getting old...need to see them again before, well, you know what happens when you get old.

Sure, I'd love to see new albums, new songs, new creations by U2. But, I REALLY need another tour. Just one more, boys, just one more time.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:27:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It would great if the band concentrated on making a late career magical trilogy, but there's no money in it so why would they bother?

Back in the 1960s releasing new music was where the money was, while touring was largely a tax write-off used for promotional purposes.

As mentioned they don't need the money. So may prefer to just stay in the studio and produce a final flurry of good music over a 4 or 5 year period. U2 will be defined primarily from their body of music. 

They could always do a tour afterwards.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:33:28 AM by zoo adam »

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 06:27:48 AM »
The touring shouldn't stop. Couldn't be at the last tour (tickets were sold out or way too expensive), but will never let that happen again. But if they'd stopped, it has the consequence I will never see them live...

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 06:29:24 AM »

As mentioned they don't need the money. So may prefer to just stay in the studio and  leave a final flurry of good music over a 4 or 5 year period.  They could always do a tour afterwards.

Need has got nothing to do with it.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 07:23:40 AM »
hasn't all the money in music now shifted to touring...

therefore a band who are as fond of a pound note as u2 are aren't gonna jib touring any time soon...

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 07:32:48 AM »
I feel like the tours give the band something to aim for. If all they did is record with no promise of shows then I suspect we'd never get anything at all. They spend far too long tinkering in the studio as it is; giving them even more time to do that would lead to years of them spinning their wheels with no results. The album/tour structure at least gives them some balance that they desperately need.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 08:13:14 AM »
I feel like the tours give the band something to aim for. If all they did is record with no promise of shows then I suspect we'd never get anything at all. They spend far too long tinkering in the studio as it is; giving them even more time to do that would lead to years of them spinning their wheels with no results. The album/tour structure at least gives them some balance that they desperately need.

I believe it could be the other way around.

After a tour and then break, it's already been a long time since the last album. The next album will be the first in years and will be what they base the next huge tour on.  So they spend a long time second guessing themselves as they know how important the next album is.

U2 may enjoy having the freedom to release new material which doesn't have to support a huge tour. And may not spend so much time over analysing material. Knowing they can release more new material quickly due to not touring.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:19:47 AM by zoo adam »

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 08:25:56 AM »
I expected them to spread out their touring schedules as they get well into their fifties.  They needed a break after the last 70+ shows in 2015 but I just hope they've made good use of the touring break to finish up the new album.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »
I don't know that they would necessarily write and record an album and *not promote it live. If they don't play live anymore - presumably down to health issues - would they not just call it a day ?

Also, what Thunder Peel said. No touring would give them even more time to procrastinate with music.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »
U2 would never stop touring if they continue to put out new music.  They're now known more for their groundbreaking stage designs and showmanship than they are for their music.  Plus U2 has already recorded hundreds of songs.  Their days of possibly putting out a wealth of material are more than likely gone.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 03:56:37 PM »
I don't know that they would necessarily write and record an album and *not promote it live. If they don't play live anymore - presumably down to health issues - would they not just call it a day ?

Also, what Thunder Peel said. No touring would give them even more time to procrastinate with music.

or they could release a more experimental album without having to worry about how they are going to play it live.  that's been a big issue for them.  the more artsy and interesting songs do not always translate well in concert

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 04:47:43 PM »

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people still think U2 cares about the money ..... If all they cared about was money, they'd have stopped making albums years ago and only toured. In case you have not noticed - U2 has only played 76 dates in the last 5 years

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 05:31:29 PM »

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people still think U2 cares about the money ..... If all they cared about was money, they'd have stopped making albums years ago and only toured. In case you have not noticed - U2 has only played 76 dates in the last 5 years

lazy gets