Author Topic: 76 shows in 5 years...  (Read 4527 times)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
Re: 76 shows in 5 years...
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree that neither U2 nor any artist owes the public the duty to write and record songs or play shows.   Personally, I am glad they put so much effort into making a great arena show on the last tour, but time is catching up on them and I am not surprised they didn't want to take that show all over the world.  They're rich men approaching their 60s and they could just tour and print money as bands like the Stones are doing, but I appreciate their efforts to base their lives shows on new songs.

They did road-test new material on 360 and if memory serves me well it wasn't very good.

I just don't think it has to be so rigid.....it is basically a set pattern...album release, tour it for ages, silence, album release, tour it for ages and rinse and repeat.

Maybe the shorter tour after the last album is or  was intended as a step away from that but it appears they may be caught in another circle they get trapped in (the overworking things in the studio one)...

I just feel it would be refreshing if they came out and played shows 'out of the cycle' they could do shortish length tours and it wouldn't matter if they were in a period of writing, recording, or in a period where they weren't really working on anything as such...

I believe that playing and being a band (i mean being on the road and together) is a real trigger for creativity and it is my belief it is inspiration that they may be lacking these days - just playing to people a bit more regularly and being a band could help.

But as I say to ask a band who have worked a certain way for so long to change at this point of their lives and careers is probably unrealistic - other interests/priorities etc....

Alas it is pretty inevitable that it is rigid – because they’re a huge corporation now and have been for a couple of decades and longer.  They’re no longer “just a band”.  Going out on tour means involving livenation and other corporate entities.  The long silences between records and tours also reflects the fact they live ultra-rich lifestyles which I guess are a bit too comfortable to motivate great art.  Bono also has his political projects, which involve him meeting many other super-rich individuals - the people with the power, not Joe Public.  None of this helps them remain prolific and relevant to the vast majority of their audience.

Playing more regularly would perhaps help keep them in touch with ordinary folk, but not the sort of people our Nige would like: did you notice how international the audience was at the o2 last year?  Compare that to the audience we see in the Red Rocks video.  Does playing live inspire creativity?  Not sure U2 have ever really been big on writing new material while on tour - Zooropa was the last attempt?  Zooropa is a decent album but lacks the intensity of AB or Pop.

Carry on writing reasonable and nuanced posts and maybe we can both avoid more censorship  :P

Haha...i think it was one of my reasonable and nuanced posts (I think i have 3 of them in total now) that woke the button pressers from their slumber - with the unwanted side effect of our banter being censored.... :)

That's two more than I've achieved - only a matter of time till I am banned... then you'll miss me!

Trying to think of bands who have made great albums whilst touring.  Sticky Fingers by the Stones was partly recorded on tour.  The Pixies dry-ran all their material for the first few albums live.  I remember them touring Doolittle tracks before recording the album - perhaps not a great example as the Pixies stuff was all written by Charles, not written as a collective interactive process.  But I'm sure there's plenty of other examples of bands creating decent new material whilst on tour. 

Speaking of enticing purple things didn't Prince record his classic song live?

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 06:37:14 PM »
I think the 76 show factoid came from U2gigs.com.  Of those shows, 18 songs were played at every single show (about 80% of the setlist static).  Wow.

Out of a 24-25 song setlist, it's not that bad. Could be worse, they could be a greatest hits act. When part of your audience is the "common folk" there's an obligation to at least play a few hits. And u2 has too many older hits

Agree, 24-25 songs on average per show is still quite impressive given that they are basically veterans. Do you see that figure increasing in 2017 to potentially 30+? Given that we presume some of the songs from SOI will remain in next years tour?

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2016, 06:45:52 PM »
I agree that neither U2 nor any artist owes the public the duty to write and record songs or play shows.   Personally, I am glad they put so much effort into making a great arena show on the last tour, but time is catching up on them and I am not surprised they didn't want to take that show all over the world.  They're rich men approaching their 60s and they could just tour and print money as bands like the Stones are doing, but I appreciate their efforts to base their lives shows on new songs.

They did road-test new material on 360 and if memory serves me well it wasn't very good.

I just don't think it has to be so rigid.....it is basically a set pattern...album release, tour it for ages, silence, album release, tour it for ages and rinse and repeat.

Maybe the shorter tour after the last album is or  was intended as a step away from that but it appears they may be caught in another circle they get trapped in (the overworking things in the studio one)...

I just feel it would be refreshing if they came out and played shows 'out of the cycle' they could do shortish length tours and it wouldn't matter if they were in a period of writing, recording, or in a period where they weren't really working on anything as such...

I believe that playing and being a band (i mean being on the road and together) is a real trigger for creativity and it is my belief it is inspiration that they may be lacking these days - just playing to people a bit more regularly and being a band could help.

But as I say to ask a band who have worked a certain way for so long to change at this point of their lives and careers is probably unrealistic - other interests/priorities etc....

Alas it is pretty inevitable that it is rigid – because they’re a huge corporation now and have been for a couple of decades and longer.  They’re no longer “just a band”.  Going out on tour means involving livenation and other corporate entities.  The long silences between records and tours also reflects the fact they live ultra-rich lifestyles which I guess are a bit too comfortable to motivate great art.  Bono also has his political projects, which involve him meeting many other super-rich individuals - the people with the power, not Joe Public.  None of this helps them remain prolific and relevant to the vast majority of their audience.

Playing more regularly would perhaps help keep them in touch with ordinary folk, but not the sort of people our Nige would like: did you notice how international the audience was at the o2 last year?  Compare that to the audience we see in the Red Rocks video.  Does playing live inspire creativity?  Not sure U2 have ever really been big on writing new material while on tour - Zooropa was the last attempt?  Zooropa is a decent album but lacks the intensity of AB or Pop.

Carry on writing reasonable and nuanced posts and maybe we can both avoid more censorship  :P

Haha...i think it was one of my reasonable and nuanced posts (I think i have 3 of them in total now) that woke the button pressers from their slumber - with the unwanted side effect of our banter being censored.... :)

That's two more than I've achieved - only a matter of time till I am banned... then you'll miss me!

Trying to think of bands who have made great albums whilst touring.  Sticky Fingers by the Stones was partly recorded on tour.  The Pixies dry-ran all their material for the first few albums live.  I remember them touring Doolittle tracks before recording the album - perhaps not a great example as the Pixies stuff was all written by Charles, not written as a collective interactive process.  But I'm sure there's plenty of other examples of bands creating decent new material whilst on tour. 

You guys have some nerve waking me from my slumber. You really have no clue of what it takes to choose the right buttons to press. But to let you in on a little secret … we only go after certain members – the chosen few, and then we really turn the screws on them. We don’t want it to be fair – we just want it to be fun. Get over it. And yes, il_capo, you’ll be missed, but you’ll just have to chalk it up to collateral damage.

But anyway,  I’d be okay with the band just releasing their treasure of songs on a few different albums, and turning the tour machine off for a while. Of course I want to see them live, but I’m not sure that touring inspires them like it used to. Most of all though, I really wish they’d just trust their stuff. Even the stuff they haven’t released yet. Then, they can figure out how to play it live.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 03:04:03 AM »
Trying to think of bands who have made great albums whilst touring. 

New Adventures In Hifi by R.E.M

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 06:11:15 AM »

You guys have some nerve waking me from my slumber. You really have no clue of what it takes to choose the right buttons to press. But to let you in on a little secret … we only go after certain members – the chosen few, and then we really turn the screws on them. We don’t want it to be fair – we just want it to be fun. Get over it. And yes, il_capo, you’ll be missed, but you’ll just have to chalk it up to collateral damage.

Ban il_capo.....go on pleeeeeeeeeeeease, press it. I'll donate 25 notes to the charity of your choice and have a months sabbatical myself...

Anything to stop the endless PM's he sends me...

Go on you can do it!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 06:58:10 AM »

Ban il_capo.....go on pleeeeeeeeeeeease, press it. I'll donate 25 notes to the charity of your choice and have a months sabbatical myself...

Go on you can do it!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

At last you show us a picture of yourself - hello Father Dougal Mcguire! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

New Adventures is a decent album but not one of REM's best for me.  I've also been thinking that U2 really would be full of themselves if they recorded whilst on tour, getting adulation night after night.  Far better to hole up somewhere in a remote part of the planet and explore their inner demons for the next release.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2016, 07:05:41 AM »

Go on you can do it!

At last you show us a picture of yourself - hello Father Dougal Mcguire! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

New Adventures is a decent album but not one of REM's best for me.  I've also been thinking that U2 really would be full of themselves if they recorded whilst on tour, getting adulation night after night.  Far better to hole up somewhere in a remote part of the planet and explore their inner demons for the next release.

The last time we got Zooropa so bring it on.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2016, 07:57:51 AM »
I think the 76 show factoid came from U2gigs.com.  Of those shows, 18 songs were played at every single show (about 80% of the setlist static).  Wow.

Out of a 24-25 song setlist, it's not that bad. Could be worse, they could be a greatest hits act. When part of your audience is the "common folk" there's an obligation to at least play a few hits. And u2 has too many older hits

Agree, 24-25 songs on average per show is still quite impressive given that they are basically veterans. Do you see that figure increasing in 2017 to potentially 30+? Given that we presume some of the songs from SOI will remain in next years tour?

they have never in their career done a tour where their average setlist was anywhere close to 30+ songs a show.  why would they start now, especially given everything we have seen from them and the kind of band they are these days. 

call me negative but until they show me otherwise I get less optimistic every day with these guys.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
Most of the songs from SoI will be gone come the next tour.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 08:47:39 AM »

Go on you can do it!

Greatest sitcom ever...

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 10:36:13 AM »

Go on you can do it!

As I said earlier, Zooropa is good but it's far less intense than either AB or Pop.  Furthermore, how much of Zooropa was actually made whilst they were on tour?  From what I recall it was pretty much done when they started on the European tour in 1993, but they spent a few weeks of that tour flying back to the recording studio to put the finishing touches to it.

And I agree with an tha (cue his broken clock comment) that Father Ted is the best sitcom ever.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 10:56:46 AM »

Go on you can do it!

As I said earlier, Zooropa is good but it's far less intense than either AB or Pop.  Furthermore, how much of Zooropa was actually made whilst they were on tour?  From what I recall it was pretty much done when they started on the European tour in 1993, but they spent a few weeks of that tour flying back to the recording studio to put the finishing touches to it.

I don't know exactly when they recorded or mixed everything.  I know they were working on it while on tour. 

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 11:16:06 AM »

Go on you can do it!

I don't know exactly when they recorded or mixed everything.  I know they were working on it while on tour.

Zooropa was recorded between February and May 1993, whilst the Zooropa tour began in May 1993, so it was pretty much a wrap by the time they went back on the road.  Wiki tells us they spent the first 10 days of the tour flying back to Dublin to finish it.  It also tells us that the band rehearsed for the Zooropa tour whilst recording material for the album, so there is some interplay there.  On the other hand they didn't have time to work on live arrangements of the new material, which suggests the creative process wasn't exactly a product of live jamming on the road.  It is a highly produced album like all their other 90s output. 

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2016, 11:19:37 AM »

Go on you can do it!

Zooropa was recorded between February and May 1993, whilst the Zooropa tour began in May 1993, so it was pretty much a wrap by the time they went back on the road.  Wiki tells us they spent the first 10 days of the tour flying back to Dublin to finish it.  It also tells us that the band rehearsed for the Zooropa tour whilst recording material for the album, so there is some interplay there.  On the other hand they didn't have time to work on live arrangements of the new material, which suggests the creative process wasn't exactly a product of live jamming on the road.  It is a highly produced album like all their other 90s output.

So they could have recorded part of it during the tour for as many as ten days then?

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2016, 11:34:29 AM »

Go on you can do it!

So they could have recorded part of it during the tour for as many as ten days then?

Sounds like it was pretty much just overdubs and mixing for those 10 days.  Flood and Eno had left to work on other stuff by this stage.  Wiki says the group had to fly back to the recording studio for "about 10 days" into the tour:  "Clayton called the process "about the craziest thing you could do to yourself", while Mullen said of it, "It was mad, but it was mad good, as opposed to mad bad." McGuinness later said the band had nearly wrecked themselves in the process. The group simultaneously used three separate rooms at Windmill Lane to mix, overdub, and edit."

I hope the versions of If God Will Send His Angels and Velvet Dress appear at some stage as I'd love to hear what these songs sounded like in their infancy in 1993.