Poll

I'll give you two votes. Sorry Elevation is not a choice - I like that song.

Wild Honey
21 (20%)
Peace on Earth
13 (12.4%)
A Man And A Woman
13 (12.4%)
Yahweh
16 (15.2%)
White As Snow
14 (13.3%)
Song For Someone
18 (17.1%)
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
10 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Worst song since 2000? Track you skip the most/don't want to hear live.  (Read 6493 times)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
Re: Worst song since 2000? Track you skip the most/don't want to hear live.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »
How is Boots not on this list?  It is an absolute crime of a song.  SUC as well for that matter.

On this list I have to say AMAAW.  Wow it is so bad.

WAS is probably the most overrated.  A terrible, pretentious effort that tries to hard to be esoteric and artsy.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 01:27:22 PM »
TIWYCRMN is one of my favorite post-2000 U2 songs. White as Snow is my favorite on No Line.

Yahweh is a true turd.

Offline The Preacher

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
Song for Someone is a great tune! Not on the list but I could happily live without hearing City of Blinding Lights again. It really is a poor rewrite of Where The Streets Have No Name.

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 10:18:32 AM »
A Man and a Woman is dire and by far my worst ever U2 song. It's just so utterly bland, like the sort of muzak you'd hear in a shopping mall full of soulless fashion boutiques.  I can't stand to listen to it and it's probably the only track of theirs that I always skip when listening to a CD in the car.  I seem to recall hearing an acoustic version though at some point in the past which wasn't any near as offensively bland.

Peace on Earth is skippable more for the terrible lyrics. So corny it's laughable which is a major problem I have with most (though not all) of the All That You Can't Leave Behind LP. Get On Your Boots is often skipped on CD when driving as it's blooming awful but it was great live on the 360 tour and I loved it. The crowd at Wembley went barmy for it too. Maybe it could have been a really good song? The only other song I'd consider skipping every so often is Love Rescue Me. It just seems to go on and on and on and on ...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:20:01 AM by Marvinho »

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
Out of that list I voted for POE. I don't hate it but it's my least-favorite on the album and it feels like it could have been pulled off in a much better fashion.

Offline ultravioletacrobat

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 10:34:10 AM »
Get On Yer Boots..... steaming pile of manure

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 11:05:09 AM »
a song that sums up u2 in the 00's - mid paced MOR, never really goes anywhere, grand themes but saying nothing really, very safe and just super dull for me is When I Look at The World.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 11:06:55 AM »
Peace on Earth is perhaps the biggest mound of crap U2 has ever produced. "Where I come from there weren't many trees, but when there was we'd tear them down and use them on our enemies." Really? And you wrote A Sort of Homecoming, and Heartland, and Do You Feel Loved?

Wow.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 11:09:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Peace on Earth is perhaps the biggest mound of crap U2 has ever produced. "Where I come from there weren't many trees, but when there was we'd tear them down and use them on our enemies." Really? And you wrote A Sort of Homecoming, and Heartland, and Do You Feel Loved?

Wow.

A tragic symptom of Bono's 00's "trick" of rhyming lines as much as possible.....why i'll never know!...

U2_One

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 11:32:02 AM »
I've only heard Yahweh and SFS live, and both worked fine enough for their place in the setlist for me during Vertigo and I & E. TIWYCRMN is the one I'd want to hear live. For this poll, I'd go with AMAAW.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:36:06 AM by U2_One »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 11:32:14 AM »

Wow.

A tragic symptom of Bono's 00's "trick" of rhyming lines as much as possible.....why i'll never know!...

To be fair he did it on Pop as well.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 11:36:55 AM »

Wow.

Gents, please see below.  This is from a song that gets a lot of praise around here... why I am not sure... the lyrics are just as bad if not worse that POE...

Where I came from there were no hills at all
The land was flat, the highway straight and wide
My brother and I would drive for hours
Like we had years instead of days
Our faces as pale as the dirty snow

And then it gets even worse:

And the water, it was icy
As it washed over me
And the moon shone above me

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »

Wow.

To be fair he did it on Pop as well.

I actually like Peace on Earth - we can laugh at the simple rhymes because we're too mature and sophisticated for them, but the lyric of the song is more interesting to me than SBS.  I'd say of the 3 most obvious songs about the troubles (the 3rd being Please) SBS is lyrically the worst. 

As for worst songs I'd have voted Stand Up Comedy if it had been an option.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 11:44:09 AM »

Wow.

Gents, please see below.  This is from a song that gets a lot of praise around here... why I am not sure... the lyrics are just as bad if not worse that POE...

Where I came from there were no hills at all
The land was flat, the highway straight and wide
My brother and I would drive for hours
Like we had years instead of days
Our faces as pale as the dirty snow

And then it gets even worse:

And the water, it was icy
As it washed over me
And the moon shone above me

Sorry, I didn't catch that. I was busy sleeping the night and shooting out the stars....

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 12:08:47 PM »
Lol, I'd like to see those who are criticizing the lyrics of certain songs write better lyrics than Bono.  ;D

Seriously, when you've written lyrics for 20+ years, it gets a little hard to not repeat ideas. And if you have a certain writing style, it gets a little hard to write differently. Not gonna say these songs are lyrical masterpieces, but they're far better than a lot of songs released in the last 15-20 years.

And I think if the lyrics are weak, it's probably better to focus on the rest of the song. How are the vocals? The guitar? The bass? The drums? Lyrics aren't the only thing that determines a great song. For instance, lots of people LOVE "Yellow" by Coldplay, yet the lyrics for that song are really atrocious.