Poll

I'll give you two votes. Sorry Elevation is not a choice - I like that song.

Wild Honey
21 (20%)
Peace on Earth
13 (12.4%)
A Man And A Woman
13 (12.4%)
Yahweh
16 (15.2%)
White As Snow
14 (13.3%)
Song For Someone
18 (17.1%)
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
10 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Worst song since 2000? Track you skip the most/don't want to hear live.  (Read 6487 times)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
Re: Worst song since 2000? Track you skip the most/don't want to hear live.
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2016, 08:50:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
    I actually really like "Stand Up Comedy".  And, having had three children, I do sort of get the lyric about freedom "smelling like the top of a newborn baby's head".
     I think An Tha's right, though; "When I Look At the World" was a low point.

Maybe it's corny to admit it, but I really like that lyric about freedom. No kids here, so I can't use that as an excuse to like it.  ;) I think it's because I really like lyrics that "cleverly" express a thought.

I actually like SUC as well. I mean, it's not their finest work, but lyrically it's a fun track.

Gonna have to disagree with WILATW. The album came out roughly a year before 9/11. I remember hearing that track probably a year or two post-9/11 and thinking how apt it seemed to be considering the current climate of the world. Particularly:

"I'm in the waiting room
Can't see for the smoke
I think of you and your holy book
While the rest of us choke"

Considering what happened with 9/11 and who was behind it (and why they did it), those lyrics pretty perfectly describe the event. To me, the song describes all of the messed up things that happen in the world and are "justified" by religion...but that the person singing the song just can't understand how it can be justified or how to believe in God when so many awful things are happening (what kind of god would allow people to die in such horrific ways?).

What's funny (or sad) is that the song is still applicable 16 years later. We're still dealing with senseless killings in the name of god. Even the strongest of faith are still struggling to understand how any god could allow so many awful things to happen in this world.

I will agree that lyrically, the song isn't extremely strong, but the meaning is conveyed pretty well.

totally agree.  I like both Miracle Drug and WILATW.  Both great tunes. 

At the same time, I can appreciate why people can't stand them.

Now, as for those complaining about rhymes.  Come on folks.  Does it get any better than 'every sweet tooth needs a little hit, every beauty needs an idiot'.... sheer brilliance.  Dang.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2016, 01:54:33 AM »
Lol, I'd like to see those who are criticizing the lyrics of certain songs write better lyrics than Bono.  ;D

Seriously, when you've written lyrics for 20+ years, it gets a little hard to not repeat ideas. And if you have a certain writing style, it gets a little hard to write differently. Not gonna say these songs are lyrical masterpieces, but they're far better than a lot of songs released in the last 15-20 years.

And I think if the lyrics are weak, it's probably better to focus on the rest of the song. How are the vocals? The guitar? The bass? The drums? Lyrics aren't the only thing that determines a great song. For instance, lots of people LOVE "Yellow" by Coldplay, yet the lyrics for that song are really atrocious.

Yes but herein lies the problem. You can get away with bad lyrics if the tune is epic. I don't care much for Coldplay but Yellow has a fine melody and a rousing chorus. Run by Snowpatrol is another example. Many of boons latter day lyrics are awful but then so are the melodies/music meaning the songs don't stand a chance.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2016, 02:16:42 AM »
WILATW might be better if it wasn't set to such plodding music.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2016, 02:55:44 AM »
    I actually really like "Stand Up Comedy".  And, having had three children, I do sort of get the lyric about freedom "smelling like the top of a newborn baby's head".

Maybe it's corny to admit it, but I really like that lyric about freedom. No kids here, so I can't use that as an excuse to like it.  ;) I think it's because I really like lyrics that "cleverly" express a thought.

I actually like SUC as well. I mean, it's not their finest work, but lyrically it's a fun track.

Gonna have to disagree with WILATW. The album came out roughly a year before 9/11. I remember hearing that track probably a year or two post-9/11 and thinking how apt it seemed to be considering the current climate of the world. Particularly:

"I'm in the waiting room
Can't see for the smoke

Considering what happened with 9/11 and who was behind it (and why they did it), those lyrics pretty perfectly describe the event. To me, the song describes all of the messed up things that happen in the world and are "justified" by religion...but that the person singing the song just can't understand how it can be justified or how to believe in God when so many awful things are happening (what kind of god would allow people to die in such horrific ways?).

What's funny (or sad) is that the song is still applicable 16 years later. We're still dealing with senseless killings in the name of god. Even the strongest of faith are still struggling to understand how any god could allow so many awful things to happen in this world.

I will agree that lyrically, the song isn't extremely strong, but the meaning is conveyed pretty well.

Now, as for those complaining about rhymes.  Come on folks.  Does it get any better than 'every sweet tooth needs a little hit, every beauty needs an idiot'.... sheer brilliance.  Dang.

ah that is a whole new can if worms...'bono does self deprecating lyrics'....hey bono, please don't it's sh**e when you do really sh**e

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2016, 03:29:02 AM »
lyrics of course aren't the be all and end all...

this is one of my favourite songs...no awards for lyrics of the year here i think it is fair to say....delivery of lyrics is probably more important.

Kim is more primal for me than Polly - but that's partly thanks to the songs she got to sing in the Pixies - Gigantic, and her vocals on songs like I Bleed.  Polly looks fantastic in the "Gouge" documentary where she waxes lyrical about the Pixies.

The two greatest women in music for me....hard to separate them in terms of who is greater in my book.

In fact as u2 have slid so far post Pop both are probably pretty much slugging it out right at the top of the best of all time list for me.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2016, 04:10:58 AM »
Since I rarely play HTDAAB anymore, the song that I skip the most comes from one of the other albums.
There is only one song from other albums mentioned in the poll which I do skip and that one is called "Peace On Earth".

However, I always skip "Breathe", too.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2016, 04:22:28 AM »

"I'm in the waiting room
Can't see for the smoke

I'm another who likes WILATW in particular.  Obviously it's another religious song, but I like both the song and lyric.  It is good if people have taken the song to help them interpret events they've been through.

We can laugh at it, but I bet if any of us had the romance to write a lyric like Miracle Drug we'd be dating someone more beautiful than we are. 

And I even like the line "every beauty needs to go out with an idiot" - what could be a more comforting comment when your partner leaves you for someone else?   Who needs Zen when we have Bono.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2016, 04:28:17 AM »

this is one of my favourite songs...no awards for lyrics of the year here i think it is fair to say....delivery of lyrics is probably more important.

Kim is more primal for me than Polly - but that's partly thanks to the songs she got to sing in the Pixies - Gigantic, and her vocals on songs like I Bleed.  Polly looks fantastic in the "Gouge" documentary where she waxes lyrical about the Pixies.

The two greatest women in music for me....hard to separate them in terms of who is greater in my book.

In fact as u2 have slid so far post Pop both are probably pretty much slugging it out right at the top of the best of all time list for me.

I like them both but I kind of went off the Breeders after a while.  I recall listening to Pod one time and finding it rather vacuous compared to the Pixies albums.  I saw the Breeders live a few times but I don't go anymore.  I think Polly is a more accomplished songwriter and artist.  She's done such a great amount of diverse and inventive music this past 25 years - every album is a radical break from the previous one - so like you I am a very big admirer.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2016, 06:56:29 AM »
White as Snow for me. There's not one bad track on ATYCLB i find myself never skipping any tracks from that record

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2016, 07:01:35 AM »

I like them both but I kind of went off the Breeders after a while.  I recall listening to Pod one time and finding it rather vacuous compared to the Pixies albums.  I saw the Breeders live a few times but I don't go anymore.  I think Polly is a more accomplished songwriter and artist.  She's done such a great amount of diverse and inventive music this past 25 years - every album is a radical break from the previous one - so like you I am a very big admirer.

No question Polly is the more diverse and inventive....there are few musicians who can hold a candle to her in that respect.

Kim is more narrow in her works scope but for me she is the best at what she does, the standard bearer at what she does....often imitated never bettered.

They are very different animals but both to me wondrous ones.

Did you ever listen to The Amps - Pacer..  an often overlooked or maligned Kim side project from the 90's.....i listened to it today for the first time in years and remembered how much i loved it originally...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:03:48 AM by an tha »

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2016, 08:30:08 AM »
Lyrically I think WILATW is great and features some interesting insights from Bono. The music isn't anything special but the lyrics easily make up for it.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2016, 08:35:26 AM »
I used to think ATYCLB was a barren wilderness beyond Walk On - which is why I think they frontloaded the album - but these days I'm a bit more charitable.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2016, 08:45:37 AM »
I happen to like all the songs listed....so im not playing...so there  :P

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2016, 08:48:37 AM »

No question Polly is the more diverse and inventive....there are few musicians who can hold a candle to her in that respect.

Kim is more narrow in her works scope but for me she is the best at what she does, the standard bearer at what she does....often imitated never bettered.

They are very different animals but both to me wondrous ones.

Did you ever listen to The Amps - Pacer..  an often overlooked or maligned Kim side project from the 90's.....i listened to it today for the first time in years and remembered how much i loved it originally...

I just about remember the Amps - was a long time ago!  Do you know Kim's vocal contribution to Ultra Vivid Scene?  If not here's an Xmas present for you: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Certificate 18 for violence at the 3 minute mark.

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2016, 09:38:05 AM »
none of the options rank among their worst!

these are my five least favorite

vertigo
window in the skies
love and peace or else
original of the species
stand up comedy

all of htdaab is bad though and a worst of the 80s or 90s is 1000x better than that overly polished sh**