Poll

I'll give you two votes. Sorry Elevation is not a choice - I like that song.

Wild Honey
21 (20%)
Peace on Earth
13 (12.4%)
A Man And A Woman
13 (12.4%)
Yahweh
16 (15.2%)
White As Snow
14 (13.3%)
Song For Someone
18 (17.1%)
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
10 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Worst song since 2000? Track you skip the most/don't want to hear live.  (Read 6486 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: Worst song since 2000? Track you skip the most/don't want to hear live.
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2016, 04:52:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

totally agree.  I like both Miracle Drug and WILATW.  Both great tunes. 

At the same time, I can appreciate why people can't stand them.

Now, as for those complaining about rhymes.  Come on folks.  Does it get any better than 'every sweet tooth needs a little hit, every beauty needs an idiot'.... sheer brilliance.  Dang.

:o I can't believe Sly and I agree on something!  ;D

That lyric always cracks me up. It sounds like he's singing about himself (being the idiot....he seems to be pretty self-deprecating). I know some probably take that lyric as just an observation from him (like the use of "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle") but I take it the other way.

I'm another who likes WILATW in particular.  Obviously it's another religious song, but I like both the song and lyric.  It is good if people have taken the song to help them interpret events they've been through.

We can laugh at it, but I bet if any of us had the romance to write a lyric like Miracle Drug we'd be dating someone more beautiful than we are. 

And I even like the line "every beauty needs to go out with an idiot" - what could be a more comforting comment when your partner leaves you for someone else?   Who needs Zen when we have Bono.

WILATW definitely isn't a traditional religious song, in that it criticizes faith. I think that's partly why I like it. Being a believer, I can relate to doubting things and trying hard to understand how so many bad things can happen when God is in charge...so I get the crisis of faith, so to speak.

Funny you bring up the romance of the lyrics. My oldest niece and I were discussing the other day why she dislikes SFS--since she always makes fun of it whenever I listen to it. She likes the music and vocals itself, but thinks Bono's romantic lyrics are totally insincere.  ;D I guess that ruins the whole thing for her?

Anyway, it is definitely true that being good with words can help you to land someone who would otherwise be out of your league.

Lyrically I think WILATW is great and features some interesting insights from Bono. The music isn't anything special but the lyrics easily make up for it.

I think lyrically it's a little simple in most parts, but I love the honesty of the underlying message. So, totally agree with you.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »

Now, as for those complaining about rhymes.  Come on folks.  Does it get any better than 'every sweet tooth needs a little hit, every beauty needs an idiot'.... sheer brilliance.  Dang.

That lyric always cracks me up. It sounds like he's singing about himself (being the idiot....he seems to be pretty self-deprecating). I know some probably take that lyric as just an observation from him (like the use of "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle") but I take it the other way.

I'm another who likes WILATW in particular.  Obviously it's another religious song, but I like both the song and lyric.  It is good if people have taken the song to help them interpret events they've been through.

We can laugh at it, but I bet if any of us had the romance to write a lyric like Miracle Drug we'd be dating someone more beautiful than we are. 

And I even like the line "every beauty needs to go out with an idiot" - what could be a more comforting comment when your partner leaves you for someone else?   Who needs Zen when we have Bono.

WILATW definitely isn't a traditional religious song, in that it criticizes faith. I think that's partly why I like it. Being a believer, I can relate to doubting things and trying hard to understand how so many bad things can happen when God is in charge...so I get the crisis of faith, so to speak.

Funny you bring up the romance of the lyrics. My oldest niece and I were discussing the other day why she dislikes SFS--since she always makes fun of it whenever I listen to it. She likes the music and vocals itself, but thinks Bono's romantic lyrics are totally insincere.  ;D I guess that ruins the whole thing for her?

Anyway, it is definitely true that being good with words can help you to land someone who would otherwise be out of your league.

Lyrically I think WILATW is great and features some interesting insights from Bono. The music isn't anything special but the lyrics easily make up for it.

I think lyrically it's a little simple in most parts, but I love the honesty of the underlying message. So, totally agree with you.

Yes, WILATW is a troubled religious song, but not as dark and hopeless as a song like Wake Up Dead Man.  The resignation of the songs on Pop becomes a restless attempt to punch against his frustrations on WILATW, and I like that.  Protest is more compelling that giving up?

I think Bono is sincere on SFS I think the lyrics on SOI are good because hes writing about something he really relates to and inspires him the formative experiences he had when he was young.  Your niece seems a bit too cynical about the song, but Bono does rub up a lot of people the wrong way, so fair play to her.  I do like the song and that line at the end Im a long way from your hill of Calvary. 

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2016, 05:28:18 PM »
Would you say that Bono sings more emotively to Jesus than to Ali?  He often doesn't seem to quite pull off the romantic lyric. His romantic lyrics often contain a note of wry irony..."With or Without You", "Sweetest Thing", et. al.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2016, 05:34:25 PM »
Would you say that Bono sings more emotively to Jesus than to Ali?  He often doesn't seem to quite pull off the romantic lyric. His romantic lyrics often contain a note of wry irony..."With or Without You", "Sweetest Thing", et. al.

I'm not sure I consider WOWY a romantic song.  I think you may be onto something though - he could well sing more emotively in his religious songs.  That said he's pretty emotive on AB which isn't a particularly religious album - his vocal on Acrobat is passionate.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »

Yes, WILATW is a troubled religious song, but not as dark and hopeless as a song like Wake Up Dead Man.  The resignation of the songs on Pop becomes a restless attempt to punch against his frustrations on WILATW, and I like that.  Protest is more compelling that giving up?

I think Bono is sincere on SFS I think the lyrics on SOI are good because hes writing about something he really relates to and inspires him the formative experiences he had when he was young.  Your niece seems a bit too cynical about the song, but Bono does rub up a lot of people the wrong way, so fair play to her.  I do like the song and that line at the end Im a long way from your hill of Calvary.

Totally with you on WILATW vs. the Pop stuff.

Lol, I agree with you, she is pretty cynical, being a teenager and all. What's funny is she claims that lyrics don't matter as much to her (lyrics have a big influence on whether or not I like a song) but yet she hates some songs just because of their lyrics. Particularly U2 songs.  ::) Her favorite band is GnR, though, so I'm able to hit her back with some criticism of their songs, haha.

I also like that lyric at the end. I know some people tire of Bono's "clever" lyrics/comparisons between things, but I like quite a few of them. I enjoy it when things are expressed in less of a straight forward way.

This is a super interesting thought. It seems like in his romantic lyrics, he's either being witty, ironic, or self-deprecating. Can't really pull off the uber-sappy, romantic lyric that perhaps other rock lyricists can. Which honestly, I think that's a good thing.

I mean, even AMAAW isn't a straight up love song, but rather one declaring fidelity to a person (or at least it's interpreted that way).

Regarding what songs have more emotion, that depends on your definition. The religious songs tend to be more serious lyrically, while the "love" songs tend to be less serious and contain a bit of humor. So from that perspective, yeah, he's definitely more emotive with the religious songs.

Although, hasn't it been said (maybe by Bono himself?) that really all of their songs could be interpreted as being about God? They'll all pretty open to interpretation, save for AMAAW.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »
Funny how some songs lyrics can save a song even if the music isn't that great just like a real guitar heavy rocking music can save a song even if the lyrics aren't up to par. 

The best U2 songs are, of course, when both the lyrics and music (including vocal melody/delivery) are great.

The worst U2 songs are, of course, when they both don't and are on this poll (since 2000).

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2016, 06:33:01 PM »

Totally with you on WILATW vs. the Pop stuff.

Lol, I agree with you, she is pretty cynical, being a teenager and all. What's funny is she claims that lyrics don't matter as much to her (lyrics have a big influence on whether or not I like a song) but yet she hates some songs just because of their lyrics. Particularly U2 songs.  ::) Her favorite band is GnR, though, so I'm able to hit her back with some criticism of their songs, haha.

I also like that lyric at the end. I know some people tire of Bono's "clever" lyrics/comparisons between things, but I like quite a few of them. I enjoy it when things are expressed in less of a straight forward way.

This is a super interesting thought. It seems like in his romantic lyrics, he's either being witty, ironic, or self-deprecating. Can't really pull off the uber-sappy, romantic lyric that perhaps other rock lyricists can. Which honestly, I think that's a good thing.

I mean, even AMAAW isn't a straight up love song, but rather one declaring fidelity to a person (or at least it's interpreted that way).

Regarding what songs have more emotion, that depends on your definition. The religious songs tend to be more serious lyrically, while the "love" songs tend to be less serious and contain a bit of humor. So from that perspective, yeah, he's definitely more emotive with the religious songs.

Although, hasn't it been said (maybe by Bono himself?) that really all of their songs could be interpreted as being about God? They'll all pretty open to interpretation, save for AMAAW.

You know, I was like your niece when I was a teenager lyrics didnt matter to me either, it was all about sound.  Even now in my old age I kind of have to force myself to pay attention to the lyrics of songs as Im not as intelligent and connected to the layers in songs as my fellow listeners  :)

If it cheers her up, you can tell your niece I bought tickets for GnR today Im not going myself but my friend is and insisted I got presale tickets for her.  Apparently I am to be rewarded with chocolates.

Although I dont pay that much attention to lyrics when forced to by more intelligent friends I have been able to notice that pretty much all Bonos lyrics are religious in one way or another.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2016, 10:52:23 PM »

Tiger, we're going to get along fine,  just fine  8) 8) 8)

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2016, 08:39:12 AM »
I became a U2 fan around the time of ATYLCB, so there's loads of nostalgia for that record.  Wild Honey, while not a great song, is just a fun throwaway number for me.  It's catchy and I just remember digging it as a young teenager, so there's that.  It was also used in Vanilla Sky, which for some reason, stood out to me.  Peace On Earth never did much for me and it's just endlessly corny, bits of it I like, but overall, it's lazy to me.

For me, the thing about U2 is they can write extremely catchy melodies, but the lyrics are not always a home run.  So, A Man and a Woman, despite the Sting-ness of it, is catchy.  It's just a dull arrangement, and the production of it like nearly all of HTDAAB is uninspired and polished.   The live version (only one I think) of Bono and Edge at the Clinton Foundation performance in 2011 was actually kinda tolerable.  It seemed to work better stripped down. 

The other tracks, yeah, don't really care for Yahweh, it's just cringe to the max.  White As Snow has something going for it, I do like the bridge a lot and I like the more experimental elements of NLOTH, a decent album, which could've been bolder and better.

Song for Someone is blah.  I don't care for it and It bores me, as do the first four tracks on SOI (albeit I kinda enjoy California).  The Miracle, however, is just...yikes.  TIWYCRMN is really catchy, it's not my favorite track on SOI, but I dig it.  I like the back half of SOI, so that's a song I can generally get behind and I think live it could be quite an upbeat number.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:42:45 AM by DK46 »

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2016, 01:33:58 PM »
Boots.  Also Vertigo.

To me, it's like they had some modicum of popular appeal with Elevation in 2000, then four years later decided to double down on it with Vertigo.  But Vertigo was a like a crappier version of it.  Then, they decided to take it to the point of absurdity in 2009 with Boots.  It's all part of the same line of thought to me - kind of blaring whorling techrock...same beat, etc...nothing really dynamically or thematically interesting about it.  It was good the first time (Elevation), but it wore on me pretty quickly.

Honestly, during the 3-5 year downtimes between albums I start to sour on their music a little bit.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:39:08 PM by aviastar »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2016, 11:58:19 PM »
You know, I was like your niece when I was a teenager lyrics didnt matter to me either, it was all about sound.  Even now in my old age I kind of have to force myself to pay attention to the lyrics of songs as Im not as intelligent and connected to the layers in songs as my fellow listeners  :)

If it cheers her up, you can tell your niece I bought tickets for GnR today Im not going myself but my friend is and insisted I got presale tickets for her.  Apparently I am to be rewarded with chocolates.

Although I dont pay that much attention to lyrics when forced to by more intelligent friends I have been able to notice that pretty much all Bonos lyrics are religious in one way or another.

I was too--only started paying attention to the lyrics once I got interested in playing music/songwriting. Even then, half the time I manage to mess up/mishear the lyrics. It was pretty jarring playing U2 on Rock Band and realizing I had misheard some of the lyrics to songs that I thought I knew inside and out!

That is awesome, haha--hope those chocolates are delicious! My niece is actually bummed because GnR came to Detroit earlier this year (she went and had the time of her life) and she was hoping to see her favorite band again, for the second time in less than a year. Alas, she suffered the same fate: I thought I'd get to see U2 twice in one year (went to the 2009 Soldier Field show, had tickets for the 2010 show in East Lansing) but Bono ended up injured so that was postponed a year. I want to somehow swing it and take her to the Hershey GnR show, but given the cost of that and other concerts coming up, it's probably not gonna be doable.

Yeah, Bono definitely seems to write a lot of spiritual stuff. I think it's pretty neat and a nice departure from many rock lyrics (which are often about love, sex, or something along those lines).

I feel so important now!  ;D Nah but seriously, good to see that we see eye to eye on something.  :)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2016, 03:13:32 AM »

I was too--only started paying attention to the lyrics once I got interested in playing music/songwriting. Even then, half the time I manage to mess up/mishear the lyrics. It was pretty jarring playing U2 on Rock Band and realizing I had misheard some of the lyrics to songs that I thought I knew inside and out!

That is awesome, haha--hope those chocolates are delicious! My niece is actually bummed because GnR came to Detroit earlier this year (she went and had the time of her life) and she was hoping to see her favorite band again, for the second time in less than a year. Alas, she suffered the same fate: I thought I'd get to see U2 twice in one year (went to the 2009 Soldier Field show, had tickets for the 2010 show in East Lansing) but Bono ended up injured so that was postponed a year. I want to somehow swing it and take her to the Hershey GnR show, but given the cost of that and other concerts coming up, it's probably not gonna be doable.

Yeah, Bono definitely seems to write a lot of spiritual stuff. I think it's pretty neat and a nice departure from many rock lyrics (which are often about love, sex, or something along those lines).

When I was a teenager I misheard all of Bonos lyrics, but I blame him for singing so badly at the time hes all over the place at Red Rocks, and its no wonder they had to use another concert to make up the bulk of the UABRS release.

The GnR show tickets are the best part of 100 each, and Im not going to pay that to stand in a field seeing a band I was never a fan of.  To be honest, all the talk of chocolates and eternal gratitude have gone amiss since she found out I had actually got the tickets - if I don't get the chocolates soon I'm going to sell the tickets to someone else  :P

I feel so important now!  ;D Nah but seriously, good to see that we see eye to eye on something.  :)
[/quote]

Nice to see everyone getting along in the forum  :)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2016, 03:28:55 PM »

When I was a teenager I misheard all of Bonos lyrics, but I blame him for singing so badly at the time hes all over the place at Red Rocks, and its no wonder they had to use another concert to make up the bulk of the UABRS release.

The GnR show tickets are the best part of 100 each, and Im not going to pay that to stand in a field seeing a band I was never a fan of.  To be honest, all the talk of chocolates and eternal gratitude have gone amiss since she found out I had actually got the tickets - if I don't get the chocolates soon I'm going to sell the tickets to someone else  :P

Yeah! It kinda amazes me how many of the lyrics I actually don't hear correctly, even today. And this is after growing up listening to Pearl Jam. You'd think if I could understand their lyrics, I'd understand U2's.

Totally get what you mean, for bands I'm not a huge fan of, there's a limit to how much I'll spend to take in a concert. If I were you, I'd tell her to make with the chocolate or no Axl.  ;D

Until the next thread where we completely disagree.  ;)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »

Yeah! It kinda amazes me how many of the lyrics I actually don't hear correctly, even today. And this is after growing up listening to Pearl Jam. You'd think if I could understand their lyrics, I'd understand U2's.

Totally get what you mean, for bands I'm not a huge fan of, there's a limit to how much I'll spend to take in a concert. If I were you, I'd tell her to make with the chocolate or no Axl.  ;D

I actually remember buying lyrics sheets for the early albums back in the early 80s. I won't embarrass myself by quoting some of the things I thought Bono was singing before I had been enlightened by those lyric sheets. 

Given the huge demand for the GnR tickets either she gets me the chocs soon or they're going to someone more appreciative!

Until the next thread where we completely disagree.  ;)
[/quote]

I'm sure the rapprochement will be long lasting :)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »
What would you say is U2's most straight-up romantic song?  "All I Want is You"?