Poll

If the band only play stadiums on a future tour will you go to see them?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Will You Do Stadiums On The Next Tour?  (Read 2166 times)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
Re: Will You Do Stadiums On The Next Tour?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I bet U2 were better in an arena than in a stadium on the Joshua Tree and Zoo TV tours.  Nothing much has changed in that respect.

TJT was definitely so - because they refused to use any sort of video screens arguing the point was to bring the audience together purely through the music.  So you either got crushed and covered in urine thrown in plastic bottles by uncouth men who didn't want to go to the toilet to lose their place, if you wanted to get close to what was happening on stage; or alternatively you kept to the seats from where you could only see ant-sized figures on the stage.  Was not fun going home on the tube with my mates who had chosen the first option...

Zoo TV they focused much more on visuals, and there was a catwalk into the heart of the audience, and I actually preferred the outdoor shows I saw on that tour.  The pitches were segregated so no-one got too crushed, and you could move between main stage and B-stage, seeing the concert from different positions.  Great gigs.

However, I am not sure there is a single artist who is better seen in a stadium. 

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 04:06:44 PM »
Zoo TV they focused much more on visuals, and there was a catwalk into the heart of the audience, and I actually preferred the outdoor shows I saw on that tour.  The pitches were segregated so no-one got too crushed, and you could move between main stage and B-stage, seeing the concert from different positions.  Great gigs.

With all due respect, I think I prefer Spacejunk69's stories about the Zoo TV tour to yours. 

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »

With all due respect, I think I prefer Spacejunk69's stories about the Zoo TV tour to yours.

Do post a link to Spacejunk's posts

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 05:41:37 PM »
The only way they'll do another stadium tour is if they co-headline with another big artist (Springsteen, maybe?). I can't see them pulling off another 360 tour in today's musical landscape. Few artists today can.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 05:55:05 PM »
The only way they'll do another stadium tour is if they co-headline with another big artist (Springsteen, maybe?). I can't see them pulling off another 360 tour in today's musical landscape. Few artists today can.

I think they're still big enough to solo-headline a stadium tour in Europe, but don't know about other areas like North America.  I think ticket prices is also a determinant of how easy or difficult it is for them to sell-out stadiums - I am not sure there are 100,000s of people in cities able to afford to pay 100 to sit in a stadium to see them.g

And I enjoyed 360 when I was in the circle near the stage - from there you couldn't see the big monstrous edifice beaming video images above your head, and instead it was more of a traditional rock show with the band playing some of your favourite songs right there in front of you.  The audience around me all seemed thrilled, and I certainly didn't stand there and think "my, how they've declined since 1993".

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 05:56:27 PM »
?

Based on what Adam said at the U240 event, very unlikely. They want to do a continuation of 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The same staging but incorporating songs from the new album that will be called Songs of Experience?

Check out that link to Adams interview, they want the same staging and ideas that the 2015 tour had, arenas with the big screen.

Personally I think the Experience side of things would fit nicely into stadiums, then again it depends on what new material is on the album next year.

I think U2 could pull off another stadium tour, there's a big part of me that would love to see them do stadiums again next year, that means I'll be able to attend Wembley Stadium for the first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 06:37:21 PM »

I think they're still big enough to solo-headline a stadium tour in Europe, but don't know about other areas like North America.  I think ticket prices is also a determinant of how easy or difficult it is for them to sell-out stadiums - I am not sure there are 100,000s of people in cities able to afford to pay 100 to sit in a stadium to see them.g

And I enjoyed 360 when I was in the circle near the stage - from there you couldn't see the big monstrous edifice beaming video images above your head, and instead it was more of a traditional rock show with the band playing some of your favourite songs right there in front of you.  The audience around me all seemed thrilled, and I certainly didn't stand there and think "my, how they've declined since 1993".

Yeah, I know nothing of Europe's market. I'm sure the band might still be pretty big over there. I know a rock band I like can only play small venues here (like 2000 or less) but is able to sell out stadiums over in Europe. It's pretty crazy.

I have no knowledge of Zoo TV, either, beyond watching a few recordings. I can say I had nothing but a positive experience at the two 360 shows I attended. I was in the stands for the first one and liked how I could see what was going on without having to squint and look at the ants on stage. I was in the first/second row of the outer circle at the second one and liked having a good view of the concert the entire time as well as being able to see the screens. Didn't hurt that it seemed like the band came out on the catwalk pretty frequently, so it felt like being first/second row at a traditional concert.

The 360 setup worked pretty well in stadiums. I'm not sure how well the I&E setup would work in a stadium, though.

Ticket prices would probably need to be $80 or less to sell out a stadium. I don't see U2 doing this in the US, but Europe is definitely possible.

Waffles

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 09:41:55 PM »
Next tour? Yes. The continuation of this tour? Well, they already said they're doing arenas so this question is irrelevant

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2016, 02:15:07 AM »
No.

u2 as a stadium act are well past their sell by date and they can't do themselves justice in such large places anymore.

There is such thing as a stadium act?  Who in your opinion is a decent stadium act?

There are lots of artists who have been playing stadiums on recent tours...i haven't seen any stadium shows myself so I can't suggest who is doing it well.

I did see u2 in 2009 and they put on some awful stadium shows, I wouldn't want to see them play a stadium again based on those shows - maybe they could prove me wrong but i doubt they would be better nearly 10 years down the line.

They are still (based on what I saw last year) a decent enough act in an arena although they would for me benefit from a bit less trickery and a bit more straight up rock n roll......as well as losing the bloated staging...in an arena there is no need to hide behind so much fluff
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:16:39 AM by an tha »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2016, 12:50:54 PM »
No.

u2 as a stadium act are well past their sell by date and they can't do themselves justice in such large places anymore.

There is such thing as a stadium act?  Who in your opinion is a decent stadium act?

There are lots of artists who have been playing stadiums on recent tours...i haven't seen any stadium shows myself so I can't suggest who is doing it well.

I did see u2 in 2009 and they put on some awful stadium shows, I wouldn't want to see them play a stadium again based on those shows - maybe they could prove me wrong but i doubt they would be better nearly 10 years down the line.

They are still (based on what I saw last year) a decent enough act in an arena although they would for me benefit from a bit less trickery and a bit more straight up rock n roll......as well as losing the bloated staging...in an arena there is no need to hide behind so much fluff

U2 are the only band Ive seen in a stadium and truly enjoyed.  MSP were awful at the stadium shows I went to.  I note the Stone Roses have become a stadium band since reforming were they any good in Manchester?

We have very different opinions of the U2 360 shows at Wembley.  The first night I arrived late and was in a cheap seat at the back, and there wasnt much atmosphere up where I was no-one seemed to recognise songs like Ultraviolet.  Second night in the circle was great, one of the best U2 shows Ive been to I like Breathe as an opener, and it was good to hear songs such as TUF, Bad and Ultraviolet played.  So maybe its pretty vital where you are seated/standing as to how much you enjoy a show.  That said Tiger enjoyed 360 from the stands so perhaps not everyone is as fussy as me.

You were gushing about the SOI shows last year, even buying extra tickets to see additional shows - now you're having a grump about the stage?  Must be that time of year  :P

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 01:28:50 PM »
No.

U2 are the only band Ive seen in a stadium and truly enjoyed.  MSP were awful at the stadium shows I went to.  I note the Stone Roses have become a stadium band since reforming were they any good in Manchester?

We have very different opinions of the U2 360 shows at Wembley.  The first night I arrived late and was in a cheap seat at the back, and there wasnt much atmosphere up where I was no-one seemed to recognise songs like Ultraviolet.  Second night in the circle was great, one of the best U2 shows Ive been to I like Breathe as an opener, and it was good to hear songs such as TUF, Bad and Ultraviolet played.  So maybe its pretty vital where you are seated/standing as to how much you enjoy a show.  That said Tiger enjoyed 360 from the stands so perhaps not everyone is as fussy as me.

You were gushing about the SOI shows last year, even buying extra tickets to see additional shows - now you're having a grump about the stage?  Must be that time of year  :P

i and e shows were good don't get me wrong but i didn't like the staging and the shows were in my view overproduced...but u2 performed well and aside from bono being so bloody shrill sounding at times they sounded good - even the old warhorses sounded better and re-energised.....whisper it but even Hellevation went up from a 0 out of 10 to a 2 out of ten!

the roses are hard to judge as obviously brown is a lousy singer, but as a band they are tight and don't rely on production tricks and backing tracks etc. like u2......it is a much more feral atmosphere at their shows and a communal singalong which makes it feel 'better' than it really is - they are very different propositions though....

as for 360 i hated it and i saw shows at croke park, wembley and the millennium....awful shows, awful set up.

Waffles

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2016, 03:07:40 PM »
You missed out. The tour was totally different in 2011

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »

well here was the opening night setlist from dublin night one..

Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots, Ode To Joy (snippet)
Magnificent
Here Comes The Sun (snippet), Beautiful Day, Blackbird (snippet)
Elevation
Desire
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
The Auld Triangle
One
Until The End Of The World (video), Break On Through (snippet)
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Reverend Black Grape (snippet), I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix), Reverend Black Grape (snippet)
Sunday Bloody Sunday, Rock The Casbah (snippet)
Pride
MLK
Walk On, You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)
Where The Streets Have No Name, All You Need Is Love (snippet)
Bad, 40 (snippet), Fool To Cry (snippet), 40 (snippet)
Encore
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
With Or Without You
Moment Of Surrender

I had to wait an hour for a song i even liked!

here is the set from the last show in 2011..

Even Better Than The Real Thing
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Until The End Of The World, Anthem (snippet)
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, The Ballad Of Springhill (snippet)
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Beautiful Day, Space Oddity (snippet)
Elevation
Pride
Miss Sarajevo
Zooropa
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo, It's Only Rock And Roll (But I Like It) (snippet)
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix), Discotheque (snippet), Life During Wartime (snippet), Psycho Killer (snippet)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Scarlet
Walk On
Encore
One
Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen) (snippet), Where The Streets Have No Name
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
With Or Without You, Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)
Moment Of Surrender
Out Of Control
40 (video)

I think i would have enjoyed the 11 set more - that said they played a similar set to that at glasto and was very flat...

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 03:42:54 PM »

Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Elevation
Desire
The Auld Triangle
One
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Reverend Black Grape (snippet), I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix), Reverend Black Grape (snippet)
Pride
MLK
Encore
With Or Without You
Moment Of Surrender

The Fly
Mysterious Ways
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
Elevation
Pride
Miss Sarajevo
Zooropa
City Of Blinding Lights
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix), Discotheque (snippet), Life During Wartime (snippet), Psycho Killer (snippet)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Scarlet
Walk On
Encore
One
Moment Of Surrender
Out Of Control
40 (video)

I think i would have enjoyed the 11 set more - that said they played a similar set to that at glasto and was very flat...

Are you gonna moan about post-Pop U2 all through the season of goodwill?  :P  The setlist wasn't a secret - why did you buy tickets to go to gigs in 3 different cities when you knew you were going to be disappointed?

The 2011 shows arguably had a better setlist, and I reckon I probably would've loved the opening AB salvo.  On the other hand I am glad I saw an 09 show when they were still trying to get the NLOTH material across   I really liked that they started with Breathe and played Unknown Caller.

They themselves were very disappointed with their Glasto performance - I think the jetlag and the very wet conditions didn't help them.  I'd like to see them try the festival again as I think it takes them out of their comfort zone and that they could do a better job next time round.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 03:51:25 PM »

Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Elevation
Desire
The Auld Triangle
One
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Pride
MLK
Encore
With Or Without You
Moment Of Surrender

The Fly
Mysterious Ways
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
Elevation
Pride
Miss Sarajevo
Zooropa
City Of Blinding Lights
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Scarlet
Walk On
Encore
One
Moment Of Surrender
Out Of Control
40 (video)

Are you gonna moan about post-Pop U2 all through the season of goodwill?  :P  The setlist wasn't a secret - why did you buy tickets to go to gigs in 3 different cities when you knew you were going to be disappointed?

The 2011 shows arguably had a better setlist, and I reckon I probably would've loved the opening AB salvo.  On the other hand I am glad I saw an 09 show when they were still trying to get the NLOTH material across   I really liked that they started with Breathe and played Unknown Caller.

They themselves were very disappointed with their Glasto performance - I think the jetlag and the very wet conditions didn't help them.  I'd like to see them try the festival again as I think it takes them out of their comfort zone and that they could do a better job next time round.

you have to stop flirting with me....the pm's are getting out of hand too!

i bought dublin and cardiff blind so to speak and ended up going to wembley with a mate from work who had a spare and asked me.

it wasn't just the setlists on 360 it was the limp performances and the monstrosity that was the claw that dwarfed the band and killed any intimacy...

as for festivals i would be surprised if they went that route again....once bitten and all that.

one good thing about the 360 gigs though was the fantastic glasvegas.