Poll

If the band only play stadiums on a future tour will you go to see them?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Will You Do Stadiums On The Next Tour?  (Read 2165 times)

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: Will You Do Stadiums On The Next Tour?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 03:52:55 PM »
To be honest, if not a lot changes from the i.e. show, i don't think i'll go regardless if its a stadium or arena.  Especially if i have to travel.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 03:55:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
To be honest, if not a lot changes from the i.e. show, i don't think i'll go regardless if its a stadium or arena.  Especially if i have to travel.

well i would imagine the first half of the show will change quite a bit as they swap out the soi songs for soe songs....

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 04:26:12 PM »
You missed out. The tour was totally different in 2011

well here was the opening night setlist from dublin night one..

Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots, Ode To Joy (snippet)
Magnificent
Here Comes The Sun (snippet), Beautiful Day, Blackbird (snippet)
Elevation
Desire
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
The Auld Triangle
One
Until The End Of The World (video), Break On Through (snippet)
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Reverend Black Grape (snippet), I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix), Reverend Black Grape (snippet)
Sunday Bloody Sunday, Rock The Casbah (snippet)
Pride
MLK
Walk On, You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)
Where The Streets Have No Name, All You Need Is Love (snippet)
Bad, 40 (snippet), Fool To Cry (snippet), 40 (snippet)
Encore
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
With Or Without You
Moment Of Surrender

I had to wait an hour for a song i even liked!

here is the set from the last show in 2011..

Even Better Than The Real Thing
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Until The End Of The World, Anthem (snippet)
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, The Ballad Of Springhill (snippet)
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Beautiful Day, Space Oddity (snippet)
Elevation
Pride
Miss Sarajevo
Zooropa
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo, It's Only Rock And Roll (But I Like It) (snippet)
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix), Discotheque (snippet), Life During Wartime (snippet), Psycho Killer (snippet)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Scarlet
Walk On
Encore
One
Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen) (snippet), Where The Streets Have No Name
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
With Or Without You, Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)
Moment Of Surrender
Out Of Control
40 (video)

I think i would have enjoyed the 11 set more - that said they played a similar set to that at glasto and was very flat...

Are you gonna moan about post-Pop U2 all through the season of goodwill?  :P  The setlist wasn't a secret - why did you buy tickets to go to gigs in 3 different cities when you knew you were going to be disappointed?

The 2011 shows arguably had a better setlist, and I reckon I probably would've loved the opening AB salvo.  On the other hand I am glad I saw an 09 show when they were still trying to get the NLOTH material across   I really liked that they started with Breathe and played Unknown Caller.

They themselves were very disappointed with their Glasto performance - I think the jetlag and the very wet conditions didn't help them.  I'd like to see them try the festival again as I think it takes them out of their comfort zone and that they could do a better job next time round.

you have to stop flirting with me....the pm's are getting out of hand too!

i bought dublin and cardiff blind so to speak and ended up going to wembley with a mate from work who had a spare and asked me.

it wasn't just the setlists on 360 it was the limp performances and the monstrosity that was the claw that dwarfed the band and killed any intimacy...

as for festivals i would be surprised if they went that route again....once bitten and all that.

one good thing about the 360 gigs though was the fantastic glasvegas.

The PMs will stop once you desist from getting my posts deleted by the mods  :P

With the exception of Glastonbury, I am not sure U2 have played a proper festival since 1985, unless we count Live 8.  It is certainly a greater challenge trying to rouse an audience that has not come exclusively to see you.  Most bands play their hits in that situation, so it doesn't generally please the dedicated fan.  In fact, didn't I read somewhere that U2 devised the crowd-pleasing AB opening to the 2011 360 shows when planning what to play at Glastonbury? 

Given it went badly I would like to see them have another shot at it, and hopefully next time round it'll be dry or Bono will have non-slips shoes on.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 04:27:04 PM »
Bono will have non-slips shoes on.

and, what fun would that be?

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 07:23:27 PM »
I bet U2 were better in an arena than in a stadium on the Joshua Tree and Zoo TV tours. 

They weren't. Pay up.

Offline TheRealThing

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2016, 08:05:18 PM »
I doubt highly of hitting stadiums on the next tour (can I safely call it the next leg of I+E?) because if they are doing a continuation of 2015, they couldn't do the same show. That stage set up wouldn't fly in a stadium. If they were to do stadiums, they would have to pull a Vertigo and do an entirely different stage. Either way, I'd see them. I love arena and stadium shows (though I have never seen U2 in either.)

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2016, 07:14:35 PM »
I honestly don't care what kind of venue I see them in, I just want to see them.

However, given that I have no clue where I will be (yes, it looks like I'm going to be moving again) I don't even know if that will happen.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2016, 05:37:17 AM »
Well my first U2 show was in 2009 (Zagreb, with Simona the MW dancer making it on U2.com) and I liked it. Though it's the last time I went GA. Tall guy in front of me, and hours of uncomfortable waiting in the heat. Give me seats anytime.

I've yet to see IE aka U2 in arenas so I'm excited for that. I know lots of people say they're better in arenas but from what I can tell on the bootlegs, I think U2 is the kind of band that works well in both small and big venues.

All that said, I will definitely want to see them on the future tours whether or not they play stadiums. Who knows how much we've left  in terms of live U2 shows ?

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 10:33:50 PM »
Bono is too old to play a stadium show like he could in the past. Not a complaint, that's expected of an aging singer, actually. I've actually never seen a U2 show myself, but having watched stadium shows from ZOO TV and comparing it to the Rose Bowl in 2000-whatever... it's no contest.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2016, 07:06:37 PM »
If Bono can bring out his effortless, lower range in this upcoming tour and take away around 60% of his higher register if 2015, I truly believe this could be their best tour yet. It's all on Bono to deliver in 2017, the band were sounding incredible in 2015 I just wanted Bono to not sing so high like he did for the majority of the tour in 15'

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2016, 08:09:08 PM »
I would think there would be a lot less pressure on everyone if they chose instead to do arenas.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2016, 08:41:32 PM »
Bono is too old to play a stadium show like he could in the past. Not a complaint, that's expected of an aging singer, actually. I've actually never seen a U2 show myself, but having watched stadium shows from ZOO TV and comparing it to the Rose Bowl in 2000-whatever... it's no contest.

Yeah....you can't really judge their live show from recordings, you have to actually be there. I know I thought I knew how they were live from watching shows before I saw them live. It was completely different experiencing it in person, though. Also a Zoo TV to 360 comparison is apples to oranges--Zoo TV was a completely different beast where theatrics were essential.

I've been to dozens of concerts in arenas/stadiums and have seen many artists/bands. Even 2011 Bono who was recovering from the serious back injury put on a killer show in a stadium setting. It wasn't nearly as interactive or over the top as Zoo, but compared to any other concert out there today, it was very entertaining.

All that said, I do not want them to do stadiums the next tour. Arenas would be better, imo, especially for those who want to do GA. There's nothing quite like a GA arena crowd.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2016, 11:23:43 AM »
How about the stadium in Cork?

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2016, 11:28:40 AM »

They could fit over 100,000 in the Curragh.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2016, 11:45:17 AM »

that place is closed for remodeling.