Poll

With the new announcement today, which would you rather see ?

JT anniversary, I'd love to hear as much of the album as possible
6 (9.8%)
SOE live, I like to hear new material
16 (26.2%)
both if finances, time and travel distance allow it !
37 (60.7%)
none. I already saw the IE tour and JT anniversary doesn't interest me
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: JT anniversary show or SOE tour  (Read 2517 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
Re: JT anniversary show or SOE tour
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 10:06:25 AM »
I'm sitting the JT anniversary shows out. Not even thinking about trying to get tix. Saw them on that tour (the 1st stadium show on that tour), so bring me the new stuff!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 10:08:19 AM by imaginary friend »

Waffles

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 10:32:35 AM »
This is the beginning of u2 cashing out and becoming a greatest hits act.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2016, 10:33:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
JT tour will get the casual fans like my Mam and Dad back in the stadiums ... it'd do very well ... there's still an army of U2 fans who went off them in the 90's when they went "Weird" my parents love everything up to Rattle and Hum. I work with lots of people who say the same. U2 got my folks interested again when they released Beautiful Day.  When I told them about maybe a JT tour they seemed VERY interested in seeing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they hadn't gone weird in the 90s, I'm not sure I'd be as much of a fan of their music.  ;D

But yeah, you are right, for casual U2 fans, the stuff from the 80s and early-mid 00s is very loved. I still don't know that these casual fans would be OK with a strict TJT tour (and none of their hits) but who knows, I could be wrong. I know my parents like more of a greatest hits set.

I'm sitting the JT anniversary shows out. Not even thinking about trying to get tix. Saw them on that tour (the 1st stadium show on that tour), so bring me the new stuff!

OK, super envious that you got to see them on the original tour. Seriously.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 10:51:11 AM »
But yeah, you are right, for casual U2 fans, the stuff from the 80s and early-mid 00s is very loved. I still don't know that these casual fans would be OK with a strict TJT tour (and none of their hits) but who knows, I could be wrong. I know my parents like more of a greatest hits set.

I took my folks to see U2 in Rome on the Vertigo tour ... They were disappointed that they didn't get more of Unforgettable Fire ... My Mum was sad that they didn't play Party Girl.

I know loads of people they're age (early 50's) who don't care at all about Achtung Baby but know every word of every song from Under A Blood Red Sky, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, and Rattle and Hum. Pretty much any track from those albums are greatest hits for a lot of casual fans.

So many people say to me that they can't stand U2 but love UF or JT.

A well publicised JT tour could see U2 accepted again and repair some damage done by the iTunes release

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 11:16:21 AM »
   I saw "The Joshua Tree" concert in Pontiac in the late '80s and it was incredible.  But, given the choice, I would rather see a new tour with a mix of hits rather than a re-hash of the old era.  I'm sure there are many fans who would prefer to see their '80's style show, though.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2016, 11:28:36 AM »
   I saw "The Joshua Tree" concert in Pontiac in the late '80s and it was incredible.  But, given the choice, I would rather see a new tour with a mix of hits rather than a re-hash of the old era.  I'm sure there are many fans who would prefer to see their '80's style show, though.

I was in there with you. This video was shot by someone in the press box. Drop down from where this camera was to the lower bowl and go a dozen rows closer to the field, and you would've been in my seat.     You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline two hearts

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 01:56:38 PM »
Desperate attempt to get fans back on board.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2016, 02:26:23 PM »
While it'd be cool to hear/see them play Exit, Red Hill Mining Town, and possibly One Tree Hill and In God's Country, I'd prefer a 20 year celebration of POP with them playing that album in its entirety.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 02:40:10 PM »
The announcement can mean anything really. But it's exciting to hear that we will hear more in weeks.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2016, 03:04:16 PM »
That's cool, Friend.  I always remember April 30, 1987 as the date of my first U2 concert.  (I had seen them at the "Conspiracy of Hope" in Chicago, but I don't count that...).  I had my tickets well in advance and waited ever so impatiently for that date to arrive.  They did not disappoint and even exceeded my expectations.  Remember the opening chords of "Streets"?  Such great times!

Offline rantnnravin

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2016, 03:04:44 PM »
JT tour will get the casual fans like my Mam and Dad back in the stadiums ... it'd do very well ... there's still an army of U2 fans who went off them in the 90's when they went "Weird" my parents love everything up to Rattle and Hum. I work with lots of people who say the same. U2 got my folks interested again when they released Beautiful Day.  When I told them about maybe a JT tour they seemed VERY interested in seeing that.

If they hadn't gone weird in the 90s, I'm not sure I'd be as much of a fan of their music.  ;D

OK, super envious that you got to see them on the original tour. Seriously.

It's interesting that you consider U2 fans from the 80's to be "casual fans"? My first U2 concert was @ Radio City Music Hall in 1984. I was too young to go see them when they played Malibu Beach Club on Long Island in 1981- so I sat by listening on the radio while WLIR simulcast it live. Each subsequent tour, I was on the floor for as many concerts as they played in NYC area. The Joshua Tree Tour shows being some of my best memories of my teenage years. (Those were the days of pre-internet fan-networking and comaraderie - anyone remember Selma and Firework?) True, with the ZooTV tour and the release of PoP, I became disenamoured and stopped listening to them until they came back to their senses with the release of HTDaAB.

Personally, I would love to see them play the full album along with a handful of other favorites - much like RUSH with their Time Machine Tour. As it is, RUSH are 10 years older and still played 3hr shows on their last swing. There's no reason they can't do a few shows in each of a limited number of cities.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2016, 03:12:10 PM »
I'm proud to say I never let go of my U2 fandom and always found something to like on their albums.  Were "Pop" and "Zooropa" challenging?  Yes, but the fans who dropped out in that period missed out on some great music. 

Offline rantnnravin

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2016, 03:22:07 PM »
I'm proud to say I never let go of my U2 fandom and always found something to like on their albums.  Were "Pop" and "Zooropa" challenging?  Yes, but the fans who dropped out in that period missed out on some great music.

Nope - I'm too much of a music fan and too honest to settle for anything less than their best. Never stopped being a fan, but wasn't going to waste my time or money on garbage like Bono's "MacPhisto" phase. To each his own.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »
As i never seen JT i would be happy for that then again im also happy for a mix so either way im happy
Not worried about Stadiums or Arenas would love to do
San Siro
Zurich
Oslo
Vienna

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »

Nope - I'm too much of a music fan and too honest to settle for anything less than their best. Never stopped being a fan, but wasn't going to waste my time or money on garbage like Bono's "MacPhisto" phase. To each his own.

...and yet you did.   :P