Author Topic: How to Score Great Concert Tickets?  (Read 4877 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
How to Score Great Concert Tickets?
« on: December 30, 2016, 08:02:55 AM »
So my brother always seems to be in the front rail at Bruce Springsteen shows, high-fiving Bruce and passing him around when he used to crowdsurf.  I've never had super great tickets to the many shows I've seen U2.  Having said that, what do you think are the best ways to score great tickets?  General admission?  (My hubby probably has limited patience for five hour waits).  Do you think joining the fan group again is advisable?  I usually get my tickets from off vendor sites and have had decent but not superb seats for under $200.  I'd appreciate your thoughts regarding how to best see the show.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
Re: How to Score Great Concert Tickets?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 09:16:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So my brother always seems to be in the front rail at Bruce Springsteen shows, high-fiving Bruce and passing him around when he used to crowdsurf.  I've never had super great tickets to the many shows I've seen U2.  Having said that, what do you think are the best ways to score great tickets?  General admission?  (My hubby probably has limited patience for five hour waits).  Do you think joining the fan group again is advisable?  I usually get my tickets from off vendor sites and have had decent but not superb seats for under $200.  I'd appreciate your thoughts regarding how to best see the show.

General Admission tickets tend to be the best as they're usually cheaper than the seats, and they get you much closer to the action on stage.  Sitting down to watch a concert in a seat is rather restrictive too.  In an arena you don't need to queue for hours to get a decent view but in a stadium you can be quite far back if you turn up at stage time, particularly if there is segregation of the audience. 

I don't think U2 are as popular as they were and you should be able to get GA tickets without fan club membership, but I could be mistaken.  It will depend on how big the venues are they are playing (arena or stadium tour) and how many nights they are doing in a particular town.  Was pretty easy getting GA tickets for London but they did play 6 nights.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 09:47:10 AM »
I agree with il_capo. GA tickets are usually very affordable and if you get there early enough you shouldn't have too much trouble being near the stage. My wife and I bought GA tickets to see Switchfoot back in September and we were only about seven yards from the stage. If you don't mind standing and being a bit crowded they're the best way to see a show.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 04:40:56 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts, El Capo and Thunder.  I think I will try GA this time around.  What time do you usually arrive for an 8 p.m. show?  It would be great if U2 had a very long walkway again, but hard to say if it's going to be a stadium tour.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 08:17:58 PM »
In arenas you can be 20people deep in GA and still be closer than the front row in a stadium.

Arrive at whatever time you feel comfortable with. The earlier you arrive, the greater chance of getting close. There is no rule.

But I've certainly been to shows where I have arrived at 4pm day of and ended up standing behind people who had slept out for 3 days...

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 04:38:20 AM »
But in the GA, don't you have to stand up BEFORE the show...like, for a long time? I got pretty good arena seats, and was able to sit down until the show started.

Another question, in the GA areas, isn't it kind of, um, crowded? Oh, what am I trying to say? um, do you get pushed around a lot? I'm not real good with that crowded, people all over me stuff.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 08:13:35 AM »
We did do GA at a Bruce concert and lost our ten dollar beers because of pushing and shoving concert goers.  My hubby was quite upset but got over it once the concert started.  If you don't like crowds and shoving you might not enjoy GA.  We waited forever for Bruce on that occasion, which is what has scared me off of GA I think.  But maybe I'll try it again since someone said you can arrive at 4.  Not a bad wait I guess.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 09:25:45 AM »
I just feel like I'm  gaurntee a good ticket at the regular price with my u2.com membership so it's always been worth it to me.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 06:52:52 PM »
But in the GA, don't you have to stand up BEFORE the show...like, for a long time? I got pretty good arena seats, and was able to sit down until the show started.

Another question, in the GA areas, isn't it kind of, um, crowded? Oh, what am I trying to say? um, do you get pushed around a lot? I'm not real good with that crowded, people all over me stuff.

HNY riffraff  :)

You can sit down on the floor in GA until the band come on stage.  Lots of people do it.  I won't deny it's not as comfortable as being in a seat but you can't really engage the action of a show in a seat - you're more like a spectator rather than an engaged, moving, crowd member.  Plus you pay about half the cost of a seated ticket.

As long as you're not in the first few rows there is little pushing at U2 shows these days.  At the last U2 show I went to, the first few rows of the crowd was pushy during Gloria (song 2) and then calmed down.   From what I've seen of American shows on videos the audiences seem well-behaved, and non-pushy - maybe some Americans who've been in GA at U2 stadium shows this decade can enlighten us.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 01:41:58 AM »
For one of the London i+e shows we walked in at 7.20pm and got 3 rows back from the E stage.
Also for one show we lined up from 8am and got rail on the E stage, and my mate rocked up at 5pm and was literally right behind me.

Waffles

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 02:28:05 AM »
In arenas you can be 20people deep in GA and still be closer than the front row in a stadium.

Arrive at whatever time you feel comfortable with. The earlier you arrive, the greater chance of getting close. There is no rule.

But I've certainly been to shows where I have arrived at 4pm day of and ended up standing behind people who had slept out for 3 days...

This all the way. This tour is so different. Literally got in line 5 PM. Ended up 2 people behind those front row who camped out two days before. If u really need a rail, arrive a few hours before (like 1 PM). If you don't mind being behind a person whos at the rail, get to the venue around 5-6. You decide if wasting half your day to be in front of one person is worth it, lol.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 04:55:18 AM »
soooooo, maybe I really need to think about doing the GA? scary...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 05:48:21 AM »

HNY riffraff  :)

You can sit down on the floor in GA until the band come on stage.  Lots of people do it.  I won't deny it's not as comfortable as being in a seat but you can't really engage the action of a show in a seat - you're more like a spectator rather than an engaged, moving, crowd member.  Plus you pay about half the cost of a seated ticket.

As long as you're not in the first few rows there is little pushing at U2 shows these days.  At the last U2 show I went to, the first few rows of the crowd was pushy during Gloria (song 2) and then calmed down.   From what I've seen of American shows on videos the audiences seem well-behaved, and non-pushy - maybe some Americans who've been in GA at U2 stadium shows this decade can enlighten us.
I would say that the US crowds I was a part of on 360 weren't pushy at all, in fact inside the claw at both Vegas and Rose Bowl there was room.

Similar vibe at Australian stadium gigs.

Saw 2 Paris i+e shows,once from seats, once from rail. Much pushier I would say but to me that's part of it. Standing close beats sitting far away for me, it has been debated many times.

As for how to get tickets... Assuming no skullduggery, know the site, know the direct URL, and don't faff about at on sale time.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 06:51:12 AM »
unless you like the 'free gift' it is my view that the membership thing of the website is a waste of time/ a rip off...

i have never had a membership and have always scored the tickets i want and plenty of spares to any shows i have wanted to see...

as demand is no doubt getting lower now, then in my view it will be even easier to get tickets.

on the last tour here in london you could buy standing tickets on the day of the gig....and there were tickets available for months ahead.

ticket drops are en vogue these days...so keeping an eye on the sites is a good idea if you miss initial sale...but generally if you are on the ball at sale times you are very unlikely to miss out.

i think people panic a little too much about getting tickets to shows - it isn't as hard as some make out...

there is actually an argument to say let the initial scramble pass when they go on sale and casually drop on during that day and you'll get what you want....

what tends to happen is people put tickets in baskets and there are loads of people online and not all of them actually buy people are shopping together as it were and its a case of whoever gets to checkout in a group first so then the others log out as they know they are then ok because their friend has got them etc etc...

the tickets appear to be 'sold out' but actually once all the panic and group shoppers go away there are tickets left....
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 06:53:02 AM by an tha »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 07:32:18 AM »
Is that what the "resale" tickets are?