Author Topic: I heard a rumor...  (Read 8995 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: I heard a rumor...
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 07:39:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just hope that if they only play a few stadiums for JT, they spread it around the country so all of us don't have to travel too far.  Atlanta or anywhere in Florida please.

They might do it in time frame and city location as the original 1987 run.

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 07:47:21 PM »
If true, could imply that SOE isn't planned for release until after the TJT shows.
I don't have a great memory of any JT stage. Wasn't it pretty minimal?

It was quite minimalist.  The band entered from underneath a very non nondescript stage.  For some shows they used a Joshua tree backdrop (perhaps only for stadium shows).  I saw them in a 9,000 seat arena on that tour so the staging was relatively small and there was no backdrop.  Personally I think a low key stage could really challenge them as performers and would be a welcomed change of pace to the theatrical and bombastic elements that have existed on the last few tours.

Apparently, the stage used on the I&E tour is the old Joshua Tree stage minus the backdrop. I remember seeing that in an interview or reading it at the beginning of the tour.

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 08:19:20 PM »
Pencil me in for predicting the band talk themselves out of this idea.

I don't doubt the validity of this rumor at all, but if they pull this they come across as a bit of retro act, which I can't imagine Larry in particular would be very happy about.

I can see them doing a special appearance on TV, maybe one show where it is just The Joshua Tree, but touring to different stadiums with the JT stage while they look and sound 30 years older? I don't buy it.

Why not just make the "Innocence" portion of the upcoming I&E tour an hour of The Joshua Tree?

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 09:15:14 PM »
Pencil me in for predicting the band talk themselves out of this idea.

I don't doubt the validity of this rumor at all, but if they pull this they come across as a bit of retro act, which I can't imagine Larry in particular would be very happy about.

I can see them doing a special appearance on TV, maybe one show where it is just The Joshua Tree, but touring to different stadiums with the JT stage while they look and sound 30 years older? I don't buy it.

Why not just make the "Innocence" portion of the upcoming I&E tour an hour of The Joshua Tree?

I really do see this as the most realistic outcome, similar to what they did with the first half of 360 shows in 2011 where they made half of the set very AB heavy.

They could more than likely open up with the first half of the set very JT heavy even playing some of the tracks that they haven't played from that record in years. Then bringing the new material into the set in the second half.

Similar to what Springsteen did last year which a few people have already mentioned. I have a feeling that the 'Introduction to Songs of Experience' on the JT deluxe could be something to look out for.

Regarding the album i could definitely still see it being released before the tour commences I hope it's not released after the tour though.

All I hope is that they don't just play in America. Come to Europe please!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PookaMacP

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 01:51:52 AM »
Just a guess, but to me it would make marketing sense to use a Joshua Tree celebration to re-ignite popular interest in the band - particularly among older generations who may have 'forgotten' about U2. Then. After a few weeks/months they should be able to ride that wave of publicity with a new single or two, before bringing out a new album.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 02:49:59 AM »
If true, could imply that SOE isn't planned for release until after the TJT shows.

That's my fear... I don't want a Joshua-tour :'( Just a show could be enough.
Just a guess, but to me it would make marketing sense to use a Joshua Tree celebration to re-ignite popular interest in the band - particularly among older generations who may have 'forgotten' about U2. Then. After a few weeks/months they should be able to ride that wave of publicity with a new single or two, before bringing out a new album.

Release Songs of Experience & lead single and make tour announcements voor IE-tour & Joshua shows in January. Doing Joshua shows around April, release other singles, and start IE-tour in May. This could also work out well

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 08:52:49 AM »

It is pretty clear to me that livenation/the band have copped on that a '30th anniversary' fuss for  u2's biggest selling and most well known album is a good way of reviving interest in the flagging u2 'brand'....

There will be a very large number of people who liked TJT who would struggle to name too many u2 albums after that or at best who would have a cursory knowledge of a few songs since who will go 'oh yeah TJT I liked that...i'll go and see that'

There will also be a large market of people who are in the 'u2 were great in the 80's but have done nothing much I like since' camp who will again come out for a nostalgia kick.

Pushing this anniversary is a pretty sure fire way of tapping into the nostalgia sells market and putting bums on seats as well as maybe helping sell any new music that is coming....so using the nostalgia thing as bait for new stuff.

It would be in my view Livenation pushing this as they look to maximise their return on the deal with u2 that they struck which they paid a lot of money for and they are going to push to draw every penny they can....the happy accident of u2 having new stuff to push in a year that coincides with an anniversary of the record of theirs that was loved by a demographic who are now probably the one with the most disposable income is just to good a money making opportunity to turn down.....and u2 will have been pretty much told 'get out their and sell' to that demographic...with the double whammy of nostalgia/new music and hopefully winning some extra sales for their new stuff from a demographic who had forgotten about them and who probably wouldn't have paid the new music any attention without the nostalgia push.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 08:56:54 AM by an tha »

Offline dontwantwhatideserve

• Stateless
  • moaning periodically...
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 09:38:47 AM »
I was thinking about this yesterday. I agree with your point, but from a band benefit, this is a more organic/traditional (non-Apple) way to relaunch their "comeback". SOI was a fairly solid album, but the concept didn't fascinate anyone beyond fans...and the narrative wasn't a complex puzzle. I feel/hope that SOE is destined to be bold and interesting, because they need to catch attention...and can't keep retweaking their formula. They have to come out with confidence and use TJT as a tie-in to help people take notice.

Such an unrelated thing, but I see parallels with Nintendo. Launching a bold new system March 17. Their Classic NES helped reconnect with old fans, and now there is a lot of buzz. They could go has-beens to the top dogs...

Trump as president...the timing is good for U2 to speak out like TJT and use bold tech and satire (and confirm how they predicted this)...to tackle the present-day failure of truth. I hope this motivates them to come out strong, and I won't be surprised if SOE stays the name of the tour, but thevalbum name changes (please)...

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »
If the theme is 'experience'- a blanket U2 catch-all term if there was any-I suspect that it will have psuedo-religious undertones.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 09:44:32 AM »
Pink Floyd and Roger Waters built shows around classic albums and did well at the box office.  So nostalgia does put bums on seats.  Whether the Joshua Tree would arouse as much nostalgia as Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall is another matter.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »
Although i personally think it is ridiculously overrated as an album there is no doubt that it is seen as being 'The' u2 album with the masses/casual fans - and is very well regarded...

Those who were 20 when it came out are now 50 and in a general demographics thing probably have the most disposable income so they can lash out 200 a ticket quite nicely to go and relive something from their youth....add on the core u2 support which is loyal anyway and you have a box office smash....easy money really. Nostalgia is huge!

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »
'Very special shows' can mean anything in Bonospeak, but if they do a Joshua Tree 2.0 tour then I can't see them releasing a new album this year even if it has been finished.  Another reissue of the Joshua Tree would be appropriate.

Offline zoo world order

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »
The album has been officially announced as being released this year on U2.com so it would be hard to backtrack from that. I see album released in march followed by  half a dozen or so Joshua tree tribute shows in early spring followed by the full continuation of the I and E tour with the new songs.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2017, 11:29:54 AM »
I can't see U2 touring an album 30 years old when they have a brand new album out.  Talk about glorifying the past.  Their record company would want maximum promotion of the new product.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »
Pink Floyd and Roger Waters built shows around classic albums and did well at the box office.  So nostalgia does put bums on seats.  Whether the Joshua Tree would arouse as much nostalgia as Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall is another matter.

As big of a U2 fan as I am, no way is TJT as highly thought of as The Wall or Dark Side of the Moon. Also, there is the scarcity factor--it's not every day that fans can see these Pink Floyd albums performed live since PF broke up, but U2 have been a band consistently for 40 years. They've never broken up and could very well tour on/off for the next 10-20 years. There's not as much of a pressing need for casual fans to see U2 at this point.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: people are overestimating the draw and appeal of TJT in 2017. Yes, it is a classic album and is considered by many to be THE U2 album, but it is not nearly as beloved as The Wall or Tommy. There is a reason why these album-centric nostalgia tours were so successful: they're very, very highly thought of and were smashes commercially and there's the scarcity factor. U2 have neither, which is why I think a full scale TJT tour is a massive mistake.

Also, U2 are coming off of the 360 tour which was the most successful tour in history. The formula of that tour? Greatest hits with some new songs mixed in to promote the new album at that time. It works. I don't know much about the I&E tour having not attended, but I am sure they were able to get a good number of people in the seats for that one, though obviously on a smaller scale than 360.

Very few bands/artists can pull off a single album nostalgia trip tour. U2 are not one of them.

I can't see U2 touring an album 30 years old when they have a brand new album out.  Talk about glorifying the past.  Their record company would want maximum promotion of the new product.

This exactly. Commercially it is a failure across the board.