Author Topic: I heard a rumor...  (Read 9023 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: I heard a rumor...
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »
I think people are getting a bit carried away with the scale of this JT 'tour'...My guess is it will be a smallish number of shows in biggish venues in strategic locations (so as to maximise the gate receipts)

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 02:09:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think people are getting a bit carried away with the scale of this JT 'tour'...My guess is it will be a smallish number of shows in biggish venues in strategic locations (so as to maximise the gate receipts)

Do you think there's a chance they will do London?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 02:59:26 PM »

Do you think there's a chance they will do London?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it isn't just an american thing then i would say a night at either wembley or the olympic stadium or maybe the emirates stadium as they have lower capacities would be a certainty...

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 03:42:48 PM »
I think they really have to do Sun Devil Stadium. I mean, they REALLY HAVE to!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 04:34:33 PM »

Yes, something like this would work well. Play 5-8 US shows celebrating the album in all the main cities, play a few in Europe. Do that in the spring, release the new album in the spring/early summer, then tour it in the fall of 2017. Very doable and very special which fits in with what Bono said in the video. Best of both worlds for the fans and Live Nation alike. Shouldn't be too taxing on the band either if done properly.

Some people seem convinced that the TJT tour will be the only U2 tour in 2017, which makes no sense because they have a new album to promote and a world-wide multiple leg TJT anniversary tour would not work for all of the reasons stated.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »
I think they really have to do Sun Devil Stadium. I mean, they REALLY HAVE to!

This "tour" should really only be 3 stadiums: Sun Devil Stadium, Feyenoord in Rotterdam, and Dublin's Croke Park.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »

Yes, something like this would work well. Play 5-8 US shows celebrating the album in all the main cities, play a few in Europe. Do that in the spring, release the new album in the spring/early summer, then tour it in the fall of 2017. Very doable and very special which fits in with what Bono said in the video. Best of both worlds for the fans and Live Nation alike. Shouldn't be too taxing on the band either if done properly.

Some people seem convinced that the TJT tour will be the only U2 tour in 2017, which makes no sense because they have a new album to promote and a world-wide multiple leg TJT anniversary tour would not work for all of the reasons stated.

So they're going to build a new stage set and rehearse the entire Joshua Tree in order to play just a few shows?

They wouldn't be able to recoup their costs never mind turn a profit.

And they're going to confuse would be concert-goers with two completely separate tours in the space of one year?

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 05:19:36 PM »

So they're going to build a new stage set and rehearse the entire Joshua Tree in order to play just a few shows?

They wouldn't be able to recoup their costs never mind turn a profit.

And they're going to confuse would be concert-goers with two completely separate tours in the space of one year?

They still have TJT stage (someone else said it was used for I&E?). Why not reuse it? Or use the Vertigo stage since they reused that at Dreamfest. They've shown that they're willing to reuse stage setups.

In the video, they mention that 2017 will be a busy year, SoE is coming out, and they're planning some special shows to commemorate 30 years of TJT. The key here is the usage of special. No where was it mentioned that they'd do a full TJT tour, just that they'd do some special shows. It seems more logical to do a few shows to celebrate for the die hards and then a full regular greatest hits/new album tour for everyone (die hards and casuals alike).

A short 5-10 date TJT celebration is not anywhere in the ball park of a full, multiple leg tour. I also would say that they're better off doing arenas for the next tour and heck, even arenas or smaller venues for any TJT special shows. They can still make big bucks doing this without risking playing to half empty stadiums.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 05:24:18 PM »
I think if we look at it realistically the only reason for a JT celebration is $. A JT anniversary mini-tour is the best way to get the band into stadiums this year. If I was them this is how I'd shape then next 18 months.

JT stadium tour
N. America: March - May 2017
Europe: June - July 2017

SOE release Sept 2017

SOE arena tour
Australia/Japan: October 2017
South America (stadiums): November 2017
N. America: Feb - May 2018
Europe: June - July 2018

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »
If I were their business adviser/wealth guru I'd advise they do a stadium tour with a brand new stage show and play/promote the new album (whatever it's going to be called) and plunder about 5/6 songs from the Joshua Tree every night.  After European and North American dates they can take the show to South America, South Africa, the Far East, Australia and New Zealand in 2018.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
If I were their business adviser/wealth guru I'd advise....

If I were their artistic manager I'd advise them that touring an album from 30 years ago is pretty much the definition of a heritage act.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »
If I were their business adviser/wealth guru I'd advise....

If I were their artistic manager I'd advise them that touring an album from 30 years ago is pretty much the definition of a heritage act.

"Yeah, I think we're going to terminate your contract."

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2017, 07:38:55 PM »
If you've been a U2 fan for more than 20 years, you're a heritage fan. ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:32:52 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline dreadpirateroberts

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2017, 10:37:04 PM »
Washington D.C. better be one of those locations.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2017, 01:18:33 AM »
Washington D.C. better be one of those locations.
Or else?