Author Topic: Will SOE be delayed till Fall of 2017?  (Read 4880 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Will SOE be delayed till Fall of 2017?
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2017, 05:14:30 PM »
seeing them without all the bells and whistles is actually more attractive to me now...see if they can still be a great rock n roll band...

they will never top zooropa and popmart for bells and whistles so lets see the other extreme stripped down and basic...

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2017, 05:15:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm still trying out figure out how they're going to cover their costs playing just a few dates on the Joshua Tree 2.0 tour.

Judging by the ticket prices on the last tour i think i have an idea how...

The production costs for a stadium tour are considerable.  I think it was said they had to play about 44 shows on 360 just to break even.

Yes...but 360 had a monstrosity of a stage that would have cost a fortune to make and assemble...in fact didn't they have to have a couple of them to get load ins done for shows quickly enough...

Taking a very stripped down set up around a small mumber of places probably pretty spaced out timewise and charging a fortune for tickets will see them make their money easily enough.

That is if they do indeed go down the road of playing a few stadium shows - at the mo we just don't know, but as always the speculation is fun...

Completely on point. Reuse one of the old stages, keep it minimal, they can make tons of money with even a limited number of stadium shows. It doesn't have to be as expensive as 360.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »
I'm still trying out figure out how they're going to cover their costs playing just a few dates on the Joshua Tree 2.0 tour.

The production costs for a stadium tour are considerable.  I think it was said they had to play about 44 shows on 360 just to break even.

Yes...but 360 had a monstrosity of a stage that would have cost a fortune to make and assemble...in fact didn't they have to have a couple of them to get load ins done for shows quickly enough...

Taking a very stripped down set up around a small mumber of places probably pretty spaced out timewise and charging a fortune for tickets will see them make their money easily enough.

That is if they do indeed go down the road of playing a few stadium shows - at the mo we just don't know, but as always the speculation is fun...

Still very expensive production costs and if people pay exorbitant ticket prices to see a show in a stadium there's going to be a lot of unhappy punters when all they see is a bog standard stage at the other end of a stadium.  North Americans especially are going to want more fancy gimmickry than Bono's spotlight during Bullet the Blue Sky while attacking the USA's drone strikes.

People go see Springsteen and Pearl Jam in stadiums and they have no stage show at all. Of course that would mean Bono having to up his game a bit to put on a show where it's just the music that does the talking.

If U2 did a whole two hour show in the same manner as the first four songs on the last tour on a bog standard stage in stadiums people would be bored rigid.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2017, 05:18:53 PM »

Completely on point. Reuse one of the old stages, keep it minimal, they can make tons of money with even a limited number of stadium shows. It doesn't have to be as expensive as 360.

So a kind of DIY stage with Adam up some ladders painting the stage with a roller?

And why are they keeping all these old stages?  The storage costs must be astronomical.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2017, 07:09:57 PM »

So a kind of DIY stage with Adam up some ladders painting the stage with a roller?

And why are they keeping all these old stages?  The storage costs must be astronomical.

A storage building out in the middle of no where. I've read other bands keep staging and props, etc.. in a warehouse. Iron Maiden does.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2017, 09:18:04 PM »
1) Absurd ticket prices.
2) Reusing the TJT tour stage.
3) Most likely only touring in the SW United States and (maybe) Dublin.
4) Draw from older fans and the possibility of hearing songs that haven't otherwise been played since the TJT tour.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2017, 09:37:51 PM »

A storage building out in the middle of no where. I've read other bands keep staging and props, etc.. in a warehouse. Iron Maiden does.

Yeah, they're definitely not the first band (or last) to store their old stages for potential reuse. Seems like a good idea/better for the environment to repurpose rather than build something new each time.

1) Absurd ticket prices.
2) Reusing the TJT tour stage.
3) Most likely only touring in the SW United States and (maybe) Dublin.
4) Draw from older fans and the possibility of hearing songs that haven't otherwise been played since the TJT tour.

Depends on your definition of absurd ticket prices. Guns recently charged between $80-$350 for tickets to their show. The Rolling Stones charged quite a bit on the tour in 2015, too. Paul McCartney charges well over $100. Ditto for the Who. Roger Waters charges quite a bit, too. So U2 charging $100-$200 per ticket would hardly be absurd. It would make me long for the 360 days of GA being $60-70, however.

I agree about the rest of it, though I do expect at least one or two east coast dates. Definitely Dublin and probably one other European date.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »
If we remind ourselves of the original SOI/SOE tour concept, the band spoke of two completely different shows over two nights in each city they were to visit. That could work again if the JT tour was to happen. Maybe SOI/SOE continues the arena tour with an additional night in a stadium for JT album.
It's all pie in the sky of course, and I doubt people would pay through the nose to hear ONLY JT songs.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:36:29 PM by Blueyedboy »

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2017, 10:33:58 PM »
It's all pie in the sky of course

I think someone's finally hit the nail on the head. 

Offline Zoomerang77

• Stateless
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2017, 02:02:53 AM »
seeing them without all the bells and whistles is actually more attractive to me now...see if they can still be a great rock n roll band...

they will never top zooropa and popmart for bells and whistles so lets see the other extreme stripped down and basic...

Like the Elevation Tour...?

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2017, 03:16:31 AM »

There's no way U2 would strip the staging back to how it was on the original JT tour. As someone has already pointed out, the audience would be bored senseless as expectations are so different now. Even when they claimed their elevation tour was 'back to basics' it wasn't really as there was plenty going on visually.

My guess is they will simply integrate the JT into a show for the new album.

Of course I could be wrong and they might just have a backdrop and nothing else. That being the case we'd see if U2 can really cut it now. If I was a betting man I'd put my money on them not doing this though.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2017, 03:20:08 AM »

Like the Elevation Tour...?

I thought SOI tour was pretty stripped down ... yeah there was a big screen ... Elevation tour was super stripped down especially after Popmart, Thinking about it Vertigo was also pretty stripped.

Zoo, Popmart, and 360 were excessive productions.

Anyway the problem with playing a handful of JT shows then heading out on a SOE tour is that you confuse the wider audience.

For example over the last few months I bought tickets for Bob Dylan, Iron Maiden, Guns n Roses, and Neil Young. Especially with Dylan and Young the first thing I did was  to look on Setlist.com before booking a ticket to find out what they were playing in the US. I then bought my Dad a ticket for Neil Young because he was doing hits. For Dylan I opted to go to Amsterdam by myself because he's doing more recent songs. People do their research now especially when paying 100 a ticket.

Also if the media (Rolling Stone, Q, Nme etc...) start reviewing the JT shows then people will naturally think that is the tour. To switch to SOE would be insane.

In the music industry its fatal to confuse your audience. See Popmart.

A JT/SOE tour is the only logical approach. Tour a hit album whilst promoting a new record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline judas1

• Babyface
  • Just had Bono sign this in NY 3/3 album release
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2017, 12:00:59 PM »
I would think that they will announce the album sometime when the come back to the Americas, because I think the will be doing indoor tour for the next album, and I'm sure they would want to get tickets sales out after the Christmas.  Bands today need all the publicity to get sales, and this tour has brought a lot of the old fans back, and that's why they have been closing with the new song, to get everyone amped up.  It could go like this, announcement in November, album out for the holiday sales, tour announcement, start tour in spring in the U.S, go to Europe for summer, ( they could do some outdoor shows, i.e. Dublin) head back to the states, and finish it the following year in Australia, Asia.  I think this is a pretty go guestimate, although with new management, they could do something off the grid.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »
Imagine the album being out on Black Friday on a special deal for 1 day very cut price download or physical sales.  Then up to full price the next day and on toward the holiday season.  That would be interesting and very commercial. 
Don't think any other band/artist have tried this one specifically? 
Follow the Apple download debacle....(RHMT was available specifically for Record Store Day).

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
Imagine the album being out on Black Friday on a special deal for 1 day very cut price download or physical sales.  Then up to full price the next day and on toward the holiday season.  That would be interesting and very commercial. 
Don't think any other band/artist have tried this one specifically? 
Follow the Apple download debacle....(RHMT was available specifically for Record Store Day).

IMO, if the album is coming this year, it will be released Black Friday. If we get into fourth quarter (October 1) and there has been no announcement, it will be Spring 2018 at the earliest.

Personally, my gut is telling me:

Album announced after the conclusion of TJT.
Album is released Black Friday.
Tour dates are announced at the end of the year.
Tickets go on sale at the beginning of January.

The tour mirrors the I+E stage but with minor revisions. This is an exhaustive tour, hitting every continent except Antarctica, lol, and sadly, we don't see the guys for a long, long time.