Author Topic: Why assume "Very special shows" are a tour/concerts?  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Zoomerang77

• Stateless
Why assume "Very special shows" are a tour/concerts?
« on: January 03, 2017, 02:13:11 AM »
Just mulling over the mention of "very special shows" by Bono in the Christmas video message in reference to marking the 30th anniversary of JT.  The overwhelming presumption across numerous threads on this forum is that these will be concerts or even a full-blown tour with the band playing through the whole JT album (WTF for in 2017, but I digress...). Could this be something else entirely, e.g. some kind of televised/streamed event, etc.? Any thoughts?

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Why assume "Very special shows" are a tour/concerts?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:22:20 AM »
I think because U2 always like to maximise every opportunity ... U2 can't do a handful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 04:11:32 AM »
The band wanted attention, and now they have our (the fans) attention.
Yeah.......this could be so many scenario's.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 05:47:28 AM »
If they are not going to play JT in full it is not worth it.  Hell, they already played half the album minus RTSS on the I&E tour.  It's time to hear side 2.  That's what I really want to hear.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 06:50:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If they are not going to play JT in full it is not worth it.  Hell, they already played half the album minus RTSS on the I&E tour.  It's time to hear side 2.  That's what I really want to hear.

did they really? i honestly hadn't heard this. they played Exit and IGC? i thought it was just the usual first 4 songs.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 06:55:57 AM »

did they really? i honestly hadn't heard this. they played Exit and IGC? i thought it was just the usual first 4 songs.

That's what he said: the band played the entire 1st half, with the exception of RTST.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 07:19:14 AM »
Just mulling over the mention of "very special shows" by Bono in the Christmas video message in reference to marking the 30th anniversary of JT.  The overwhelming presumption across numerous threads on this forum is that these will be concerts or even a full-blown tour with the band playing through the whole JT album (WTF for in 2017, but I digress...). Could this be something else entirely, e.g. some kind of televised/streamed event, etc.? Any thoughts?

How else would you define "shows", other than "concerts"? 

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »

How else would you define "shows", other than "concerts"?

This. The one thing I agree with Zoom on is that the assumption of a full TJT tour is a bit much at this point. The band gave no such indication in the video.

Pretty sure they were intentionally vague, too, so as to keep the fans guessing and talking until the actual announcement.

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 09:46:46 AM »
Ideal scenario:

They play one show and perform every song they wrote for the Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum including Silver & Gold and Womanfish.  It's broadcast live online and audio is offered as a free download.

Imagine!

Streets
Looking For
WOWY
Bullet
RTST
Red Hill
Trip
In God's Country
One Tree Hill
Exit
Mothers
(Beatuiful Ghost over the PA)
Womanfish
Luminous Times
Walk to the Water
Spanish Eyes
Deep In The Heart
Sweetest Thing
Race Against Time
Silver and Gold
Wave of Sorrow
Desert of Out Love
Rise Up
(Drunk Chicken over PA)
Van Dieman's Land
Desire
Hawkmoon
Watchtower
Angel of Harlem
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes to Town
Heartland
God Part 2
All I Want Is You
Dancing Barefoot
Halleluhah Here She Comes
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
Unchained Melody
Everlasting Love
She's A Mystery to Me
Jesus Christ

41 songs! Never gonna happen!  But man oh man if it did...I wouldn't care if it was for love or money...

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 10:07:03 AM »
^ Springsteen and McCartney have done shows with dozens of songs. If they can do it at their age, most likely U2 could as well.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »
Ideal scenario:

They play one show and perform every song they wrote for the Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum including Silver & Gold and Womanfish.  It's broadcast live online and audio is offered as a free download.

Imagine!

Streets
Looking For
WOWY
Bullet
RTST
Red Hill
Trip
In God's Country
One Tree Hill
Exit
Mothers
(Beatuiful Ghost over the PA)
Womanfish
Luminous Times
Walk to the Water
Spanish Eyes
Deep In The Heart
Sweetest Thing
Race Against Time
Silver and Gold
Wave of Sorrow
Desert of Out Love
Rise Up
(Drunk Chicken over PA)
Van Dieman's Land
Desire
Hawkmoon
Watchtower
Angel of Harlem
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes to Town
Heartland
God Part 2
All I Want Is You
Dancing Barefoot
Halleluhah Here She Comes
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
Unchained Melody
Everlasting Love
She's A Mystery to Me
Jesus Christ

41 songs! Never gonna happen!  But man oh man if it did...I wouldn't care if it was for love or money...
Great set list, love it.....love it......if only........

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 11:07:27 AM »
bono has lobbed a little grenade into the room hasn't he!

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »
Who knows what it will be, but in my opinion the only reason they are even doing anything in regards to the JT is for the $. With SOE on the horizon why else would they put any time or effort into anything JT related other than for the $?

So if it is for the $ and they are going to put time and effort into it, then I think it will be for more then a few shows. They could do a quick stadium run through N.America and Europe in the spring, make a ton of $, and then release SOE after the mini-tour. JT is an easy way for U2/Live Nation to get some stadium dates before the SOE tour later in the year.

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 12:44:15 PM »
Who knows what it will be, but in my opinion the only reason they are even doing anything in regards to the JT is for the $. With SOE on the horizon why else would they put any time or effort into anything JT related other than for the $?

So if it is for the $ and they are going to put time and effort into it, then I think it will be for more then a few shows. They could do a quick stadium run through N.America and Europe in the spring, make a ton of $, and then release SOE after the mini-tour. JT is an easy way for U2/Live Nation to get some stadium dates before the SOE tour later in the year.
Not so sure about that,they had 2 of the biggest tour's in history off the back of very average album's in POP and No Line ,maybe they want to shake things up a bit and try something different by celebrating it and then going into SOE. A lot of the money made from touring goes towards  the production and the massive crew,technicians,engineers  they take on the road ,they barely broke even on Zoo Tv and made a loss with Popmart the costs were so high.visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 Check out this book if you get a chance gives a real insight as to how U2s touring world operates.

Offline Zoomerang77

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »
bono has lobbed a little grenade into the room hasn't he!

Indeed!