Author Topic: Why assume "Very special shows" are a tour/concerts?  (Read 2935 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: Why assume "Very special shows" are a tour/concerts?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Who knows what it will be, but in my opinion the only reason they are even doing anything in regards to the JT is for the $. With SOE on the horizon why else would they put any time or effort into anything JT related other than for the $?

So if it is for the $ and they are going to put time and effort into it, then I think it will be for more then a few shows. They could do a quick stadium run through N.America and Europe in the spring, make a ton of $, and then release SOE after the mini-tour. JT is an easy way for U2/Live Nation to get some stadium dates before the SOE tour later in the year.
Not so sure about that,they had 2 of the biggest tour's in history off the back of very average album's in POP and No Line ,maybe they want to shake things up a bit and try something different by celebrating it and then going into SOE. A lot of the money made from touring goes towards  the production and the massive crew,technicians,engineers  they take on the road ,they barely broke even on Zoo Tv and made a loss with Popmart the costs were so high.visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 Check out this book if you get a chance gives a real insight as to how U2s touring world operates.

Exactly. People are overestimating the draw/selling power of TJT in today's concert world. Great album, but I can see a tour like 360's (but on a slightly smaller scale) being more successful than any nostalgia trip stadium tour.

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
Many people on this forum will be surprised how wrong they were.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »
it's all nothing more than Bono 'dreaming out loud' as he has said so many times.  Also pretty likely the other 3 asked him as well what the hell he was talking about right after he said it.  'Hey B you might want to check in with us before spouting off more nonsense next time...'

Offline thistrain

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 02:39:03 PM »
Many people on this forum will be surprised how wrong they were.
This. All signs point to a limited run of stadium shows to celebrate the 30th anniversary of JT in the US and Europe. Then an arena tour in the fall when SOE is released.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »
Who knows what it will be, but in my opinion the only reason they are even doing anything in regards to the JT is for the $. With SOE on the horizon why else would they put any time or effort into anything JT related other than for the $?

So if it is for the $ and they are going to put time and effort into it, then I think it will be for more then a few shows. They could do a quick stadium run through N.America and Europe in the spring, make a ton of $, and then release SOE after the mini-tour. JT is an easy way for U2/Live Nation to get some stadium dates before the SOE tour later in the year.
Not so sure about that,they had 2 of the biggest tour's in history off the back of very average album's in POP and No Line ,maybe they want to shake things up a bit and try something different by celebrating it and then going into SOE. A lot of the money made from touring goes towards  the production and the massive crew,technicians,engineers  they take on the road ,they barely broke even on Zoo Tv and made a loss with Popmart the costs were so high.visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 Check out this book if you get a chance gives a real insight as to how U2s touring world operates.

Exactly. People are overestimating the draw/selling power of TJT in today's concert world. Great album, but I can see a tour like 360's (but on a slightly smaller scale) being more successful than any nostalgia trip stadium tour.

Well, if today's rumour is true, it looks like U2 will be using the nostalgia of JT to play the near 100,000 seat Rose Bowl in May. If no Vancouver/Seattle gig me and 3 buddies will be flying down for it. No way we'd be flying there for SOE. JT shows will be huge.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 03:47:59 PM »
A realistic prediction:

1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2.  I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3.  With or Without You
4.  Bullet the Blue Sky
5.  Running to Stand Still
6.  Red Hill Mining Town
7.  In God's Country
8.  Trip Through Your Wires
9.  One Tree Hill
10. Exit
11. Mothers of the Disappeared
(END SET 1)
12. Spanish Eyes
13. The Sweetest Thing
14. Desire
15. Angel of Harlem
16. Bad
17. One
(ENCORE)
18. The Miracle
19. I Will Follow
20. People Get Ready
21. 40

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 04:30:19 PM »
A realistic prediction:

3.  With or Without You
4.  Bullet the Blue Sky
6.  Red Hill Mining Town
7.  In God's Country
9.  One Tree Hill
10. Exit
(END SET 1)
12. Spanish Eyes
13. The Sweetest Thing
14. Desire
15. Angel of Harlem
16. Bad
17. One
(ENCORE)
18. The Miracle
19. I Will Follow
20. People Get Ready
21. 40

Not bad. Two thoughts:

1. If they do JT in full, I'd bet they do it as the 2nd half. Though I'd be thrilled to see them start with Streets, red backdrop and extended intro and all. But they'll probably want to save it.

2. If the do JT in full, I wouldn't expect any b-sides or other rarities. I could be wrong, but doing JT already means them learning 5 songs they've almost never played in 30 years, all of which can be considered deep cuts. I'd bet every other song they play is a hit or warhorse. I'd prefer your version, I just think it's unlikely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 04:35:30 PM »
i've seen 3 bands/artists tour specific albums. The Pixies did Doolittle, bookending all the b-sides, then 2 encores. the other 2 album tours i saw <The Wall and Pet Sounds> aren't really applicable to the "b-sides" debate. i doubt u2 would do the JT b-sides.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »
Set 1

3.  With or Without You
4.  Bullet the Blue Sky
6.  Red Hill Mining Town (piano version)
7.  In God's Country
9.  One Tree Hill
10. Exit

Set 2

12. Beautiful Day
13. Vertigo
14. I Will Follow
15. Until the End of the World
16. New Years Day
17. Bad
18. Mysterious Ways
19. One

Encores

20. Desire
21. Angel of Harlem
22. Pride

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 08:41:15 PM »
At the end of the day this could wind up being another hook, line, sucker approach to get fans to buy tickets for something where the band says one thing, people's expectations are another and what we really wind up with is something that elicits mixed reactions & recriminations. I know that sounds cynical but it seems like we've been down this road before.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Why assume &quot;Very special shows&quot; are a tour/concerts?
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 01:06:51 AM »
I saw Patti Smith play Horses and Kula Shaker play K ... both played the B Sides alongside the album

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
Re: Why assume &quot;Very special shows&quot; are a tour/concerts?
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 04:22:03 AM »
I saw Patti Smith play Horses and Kula Shaker play K ... both played the B Sides alongside the album

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be the coolest thing, love U2's b sides and they deserve
attention.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 06:30:52 AM »
At the end of the day this could wind up being another hook, line, sucker approach to get fans to buy tickets for something where the band says one thing, people's expectations are another and what we really wind up with is something that elicits mixed reactions & recriminations. I know that sounds cynical but it seems like we've been down this road before.

I'm curious what other examples you're thinking of here, and how this might compare?  I guess I would expect we'll have confirmation if shows will be JT 30th anniversary/playing JT in its entirety or SOE before the tickets were to go on sale.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2017, 07:51:56 AM »
1. If they do JT in full, I'd bet they do it as the 2nd half. Though I'd be thrilled to see them start with Streets, red backdrop and extended intro and all. But they'll probably want to save it.

I've never seen a band not play the full album right at the beginning, so I wouldn't necessarily expect it here either. Plus, as you hinted, starting the show with Streets could be something.

In other words, the usual reaction on message boards no matter what they do?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2017, 08:09:18 AM »

I've never seen a band not play the full album right at the beginning, so I wouldn't necessarily expect it here either. Plus, as you hinted, starting the show with Streets could be something.

In other words, the usual reaction on message boards no matter what they do?

1. Pixies opened with B-sides, then the album.

2. Brian Wilson did 19 songs then the full Pet Sounds album, then 7 more songs.

3. Weezer did 2 night shows the first being the Blue album night and the second being Pinkerton, they opened by playing hits in reverse-chronological order then the 2nd sets were the full albums.

you never know how they're going to do it.
IF they do the whole album, i'd rather they save it for the 2nd half.