Author Topic: Why assume "Very special shows" are a tour/concerts?  (Read 2932 times)

Offline benpoke

• Refugee
Re: Why assume "Very special shows" are a tour/concerts?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 08:16:45 AM »
U2 celebrated Achtung Baby's anniversary year in 2011.  That basically meant continuing to play One, Mysterious Ways and Until the End of The World at their concerts and adding in half-assed rethinks of The Fly and Even Better Than The Real Thing.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 08:22:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
^ Springsteen and McCartney have done shows with dozens of songs. If they can do it at their age, most likely U2 could as well.

Nope. Bono's got one of the hardest gigs - if not the hardest - gig in rock. No soloists or extended instrumental passages (apart from Streets and Bad) to take the pressure off of his voice.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 08:33:14 AM »
1. Pixies opened with B-sides, then the album.

2. Brian Wilson did 19 songs then the full Pet Sounds album, then 7 more songs.

3. Weezer did 2 night shows the first being the Blue album night and the second being Pinkerton, they opened by playing hits in reverse-chronological order then the 2nd sets were the full albums.

you never know how they're going to do it.
IF they do the whole album, i'd rather they save it for the 2nd half.

Ah... thanks for clarifying! I haven't caught too many of these types of shows in person, but from what I've seen and read otherwise, it always seemed like they opened with the album straight-up.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 08:52:04 AM »
1. If they do JT in full, I'd bet they do it as the 2nd half. Though I'd be thrilled to see them start with Streets, red backdrop and extended intro and all. But they'll probably want to save it.

I've never seen a band not play the full album right at the beginning, so I wouldn't necessarily expect it here either. Plus, as you hinted, starting the show with Streets could be something.

At the end of the day this could wind up being another hook, line, sucker approach to get fans to buy tickets for something where the band says one thing, people's expectations are another and what we really wind up with is something that elicits mixed reactions & recriminations. I know that sounds cynical but it seems like we've been down this road before.

In other words, the usual reaction on message boards no matter what they do?

Springsteen has done full album shows in the middle of sets before, but on his most recent run with The River, he did start with an outtake and then play the album in full to start the show.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2017, 08:53:39 AM »
^ Springsteen and McCartney have done shows with dozens of songs. If they can do it at their age, most likely U2 could as well.

Bono's voice has never been able to go past two hours, even in his 20s. It isn't a lack of passion or a desire to perform a good show; it is simply his own limitations. He was basically speaking songs by the end of shows in I+E. All an artist can do is give you their best, and he always has. Bruce and Macca are freaks. Don't judge everyone else by that standard.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2017, 09:28:08 AM »
"Very special shows" might also mean U2 are open for playing corporate events where the expectation of landing business-to-business deals is the draw for the attendees and the gig is merely the backdrop, making the whole thing "very special". Add in a festival appearance or two, and it's still not a tour yet but just concerts.

Anything is possible at this point. I don't expect a stadium tour, though.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »
"Very special shows" might also mean U2 are open for playing corporate events where the expectation of landing business-to-business deals is the draw for the attendees and the gig is merely the backdrop, making the whole thing "very special". Add in a festival appearance or two, and it's still not a tour yet but just concerts.

Anything is possible at this point. I don't expect a stadium tour, though.

You sooner expect U2's announcement to meant they're going to play corporate events, and not a stadium tour for JT's 30th anniversary?  Ok.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2017, 12:30:47 PM »
I suspect U2 will do a handful of shows where they play TJT live.  They may be smaller gigs, festivals, or one off shows outside of a planned SOE tour. If they go that route, the shows could be as simple as only TJT.  Otherwise, I wouldn't expect them to play b-sides really.  They might do Sweetest Thing, but I'm not sure they'd bring out more.  It's more likely they'd play hits from across their career that fit in with TJT.

As for albums being played; Pink Floyd's Pulse album put DSOTM towards the end of the show (2nd set, before an encore).  I also saw Roger Waters do a concert where he played all of DSOTM in a 2nd set, but a much longer show than the Pink Floyd Pulse album.  Interestingly, at that particular show (which was for DSOTM), he also played all of WYWH (not in order) and Animals.  I was excited by the latter (not that I don't like WYWH).

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2017, 12:46:11 PM »
I suspect U2 will do a handful of shows where they play TJT live.  They may be smaller gigs, festivals, or one off shows outside of a planned SOE tour. If they go that route, the shows could be as simple as only TJT.  Otherwise, I wouldn't expect them to play b-sides really.  They might do Sweetest Thing, but I'm not sure they'd bring out more.  It's more likely they'd play hits from across their career that fit in with TJT.

As for albums being played; Pink Floyd's Pulse album put DSOTM towards the end of the show (2nd set, before an encore).  I also saw Roger Waters do a concert where he played all of DSOTM in a 2nd set, but a much longer show than the Pink Floyd Pulse album.  Interestingly, at that particular show (which was for DSOTM), he also played all of WYWH (not in order) and Animals.  I was excited by the latter (not that I don't like WYWH).

Doesn't look like small shows. JT show at the Rose Bowl in May is already rumoured. That place holds close to 100,000 people.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »

Doesn't look like small shows. JT show at the Rose Bowl in May is already rumoured. That place holds close to 100,000 people.

Rumours are just that.  I actually would guess it to be an SOE show there, but you could be right.  Or perhaps (more cynically) it was originally intent on being SOE but the album delay is making them change their mind to a JT show. I guess we'll see what happens.

As for size, as you saw I was just guessing at possibilities.  Until the rumor becomes more, I'd still guess anything can happen.  They've done the Rose Bowl before.  It really isn't the greatest concert venue because of its size and shape.  Most seats are far away and GA is just GA (that doesn't change much by venue).  I've been there a few times and would rather not see them there or any huge stadium like that.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2017, 01:30:43 PM »

Wait, he did three entire albums' worth of material at a single show?

I managed to see the Australian Pink Floyd do WYWH.  I always felt that album got short shrift by Gilmour and Waters, who always cut Shine On short, and never ever play part IX.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2017, 01:38:48 PM »

Wait, he did three entire albums' worth of material at a single show?

I managed to see the Australian Pink Floyd do WYWH.  I always felt that album got short shrift by Gilmour and Waters, who always cut Shine On short, and never ever play part IX.

i was about to say i saw him do The Wall in 2010. given the length of the album he ONLY did that album, no encore of other hits etc.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »

Nope. Bono's got one of the hardest gigs - if not the hardest - gig in rock. No soloists or extended instrumental passages (apart from Streets and Bad) to take the pressure off of his voice.

not really....just singing is much, much easier than singing and playing an instrument at the same time...pretty much any front man who plays as well has a 'harder' job than bono.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2017, 02:14:30 PM »
U2 celebrated Achtung Baby's anniversary year in 2011.  That basically meant continuing to play One, Mysterious Ways and Until the End of The World at their concerts and adding in half-assed rethinks of The Fly and Even Better Than The Real Thing.

half assed versions of The Fly and Even Better?

Wow, I think that's very harsh. Those two particular tracks sounded great on the final leg of 360, a real highlight

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2017, 02:15:39 PM »

half assed versions of The Fly and Even Better?

Wow, I think that's very harsh. Those two particular tracks sounded great on the final leg of 360, a real highlight

i guess i missed the Fly but i didn't mind the slight changes to EBTTRT.