Author Topic: Why assume "Very special shows" are a tour/concerts?  (Read 2931 times)

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Why assume "Very special shows" are a tour/concerts?
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2017, 02:17:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 celebrated Achtung Baby's anniversary year in 2011.  That basically meant continuing to play One, Mysterious Ways and Until the End of The World at their concerts and adding in half-assed rethinks of The Fly and Even Better Than The Real Thing.

half assed versions of The Fly and Even Better?

Wow, I think that's very harsh. Those two particular tracks sounded great on the final leg of 360, a real highlight

i guess i missed the Fly but i didn't mind the slight changes to EBTTRT.

I much prefer the 360 version of Even Better to the I+E version, 100%

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2017, 03:30:36 PM »
I suspect U2 will do a handful of shows where they play TJT live.  They may be smaller gigs, festivals, or one off shows outside of a planned SOE tour. If they go that route, the shows could be as simple as only TJT.  Otherwise, I wouldn't expect them to play b-sides really.  They might do Sweetest Thing, but I'm not sure they'd bring out more.  It's more likely they'd play hits from across their career that fit in with TJT.

As for albums being played; Pink Floyd's Pulse album put DSOTM towards the end of the show (2nd set, before an encore).  I also saw Roger Waters do a concert where he played all of DSOTM in a 2nd set, but a much longer show than the Pink Floyd Pulse album.  Interestingly, at that particular show (which was for DSOTM), he also played all of WYWH (not in order) and Animals.  I was excited by the latter (not that I don't like WYWH).

Doesn't look like small shows. JT show at the Rose Bowl in May is already rumoured. That place holds close to 100,000 people.

Rumours are just that.  I actually would guess it to be an SOE show there, but you could be right.  Or perhaps (more cynically) it was originally intent on being SOE but the album delay is making them change their mind to a JT show. I guess we'll see what happens.

As for size, as you saw I was just guessing at possibilities.  Until the rumor becomes more, I'd still guess anything can happen.  They've done the Rose Bowl before.  It really isn't the greatest concert venue because of its size and shape.  Most seats are far away and GA is just GA (that doesn't change much by venue).  I've been there a few times and would rather not see them there or any huge stadium like that.

We'll find out in a few days, but I disagree with part of your post and agree with another. The album isn't finished, the natives are getting restless, and they are going to do a short run of what amounts to a 'greatest hits' show to celebrate TJT and come back in the fall and 2018 to promote SOE in arenas.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2017, 06:52:26 PM »
At the end of the day this could wind up being another hook, line, sucker approach to get fans to buy tickets for something where the band says one thing, people's expectations are another and what we really wind up with is something that elicits mixed reactions & recriminations. I know that sounds cynical but it seems like we've been down this road before.

I'm curious what other examples you're thinking of here, and how this might compare?  I guess I would expect we'll have confirmation if shows will be JT 30th anniversary/playing JT in its entirety or SOE before the tickets were to go on sale.

Th most recent example is the hype that lead up to the Innocence + Experience Tour. The promotion was the band wanted to play 2 different set lists over 2 nights per city or multiples of 2; the A setlist vs the B setlist. Of course as we now know, they put the kibosh on that when they realized at the last minute they hadn't really thought out the logistics of properly informing the public which tickets the public would need to buy for the preferred concert setlist. To be fair I'll wait for the press conference, but I think the point of this thread was that it may be unrealistic to have over hyped expectations b/c things can always change at the last minute.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
At the end of the day this could wind up being another hook, line, sucker approach to get fans to buy tickets for something where the band says one thing, people's expectations are another and what we really wind up with is something that elicits mixed reactions & recriminations. I know that sounds cynical but it seems like we've been down this road before.

I'm curious what other examples you're thinking of here, and how this might compare?  I guess I would expect we'll have confirmation if shows will be JT 30th anniversary/playing JT in its entirety or SOE before the tickets were to go on sale.

Th most recent example is the hype that lead up to the Innocence + Experience Tour. The promotion was the band wanted to play 2 different set lists over 2 nights per city or multiples of 2; the A setlist vs the B setlist. Of course as we now know, they put the kibosh on that when they realized at the last minute they hadn't really thought out the logistics of properly informing the public which tickets the public would need to buy for the preferred concert setlist. To be fair I'll wait for the press conference, but I think the point of this thread was that it may be unrealistic to have over hyped expectations b/c things can always change at the last minute.

I figured the I+E Tour was the example being thought of, which yeah, they sort of dug their own hole in even talking about it before the tour had been thought out, but I still feel like fans (particularly on this forum) make the mistake of holding every utterance they make as gospel, when their history shows a band that often bites off more than they can chew, and makes grand statements based on what's in their heads at the moment, and which often doesn't happen, or not the way they originally thought.  (I'm still waiting on that Sega Genesis game, or the Zooropa triple-cast concert broadcast...)  I think a full-album JT tour is a reasonable thing to expect they might do in light of their announcement, but as always, waiting until the definitive word from a press conference--or even until they actually DO something--is key.