Author Topic: Joshua Tree turns 30, but hey POP turns 20! (Are U2 ignoring POP?)  (Read 10945 times)

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Joshua Tree turns 30, but hey POP turns 20! (Are U2 ignoring POP?)
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
At the end of the day,  U2 will still be doing a POP and POPMart 20th anniversary tribute.

This upcoming Joshua Tree 2017 Tour will see U2 playing to multiple half-empty stadiums for the first time since Popmart.  What better way to celebrate POP than to recreate the conditions of the POPMart Tour in terms of attendance!

Cheers,

J

Naw, only in Pittsburgh!!!  :)

I don't care if U2 wants to disown Pop.  On March 4th, I am gonna crank up POP and listen to it all day.  Just like I did as a 15 year old kid 20 years ago! 

Offline DisgruntledSherpa

• Babyface
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2017, 11:41:59 AM »
Why should they ?Pop is weak record badly produced and unfinished they don't along with a lot of fan's hold it in high regard.Yes there are 2,3 song's that are good and would be good to hear live again ,but let's be honest it's average at best.

I liked the Pop CD and the tracks on it much better than the re-recorded tracks that they released on Best of 1990-2001.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2017, 08:57:16 AM »
yeah, I could see that happening.  I think U2 might be overestimating the popularity of the Joshua Tree.

I think people of this forum are underestimating to popularity of The Joshua Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And overestimating the popularity of Pop. I think everyone on earth who loves that album and holds it among U2's best work posts here. Often.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »
yeah, I could see that happening.  I think U2 might be overestimating the popularity of the Joshua Tree.

I think people of this forum are underestimating to popularity of The Joshua Tree

And overestimating the popularity of Pop. I think everyone on earth who loves that album and holds it among U2's best work posts here. Often.
;D

Spacejunk69

« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2017, 10:52:27 AM »

Silly statement. The people on this forum probably account for less than 1% of the worldwide U2 fans. I think you will find there are more than 40-45 Pop fans, the ones who vote for it and its songs on here, in the world!

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Joshua Tree turns 30, but hey POP turns 20! (Are U2 ignoring POP?)
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2017, 01:04:53 PM »

Silly statement. The people on this forum probably account for less than 1% of the worldwide U2 fans. I think you will find there are more than 40-45 Pop fans, the ones who vote for it and its songs on here, in the world!

+1

I know a dozen of casual fans/non fans that rate Pop as one of their best

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2017, 01:12:25 PM »
I strongly suspect the vast majority of casual fans don't really care about Pop, or hope that U2 will play something from it at their upcoming Joshua Tree 2.0 tour show.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2017, 01:54:50 PM »
I strongly suspect the vast majority of casual fans don't really care about Pop, or hope that U2 will play something from it at their upcoming Joshua Tree 2.0 tour show.

Have to agree.  Whilst many of us on here are disappointed there aren't some Pop songs in the shows I don't think we'll see the attendees this summer coming out of the stadiums moaning that U2 didn't play Discotheque or Staring at the Sun.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2017, 04:12:21 AM »
Considering the impact TJT had not only on U2 as a band, but music in general, it's a no-brainer it trumps Pop (political innuendo intended).

Besides, Pop led to ATYCLB, the most universally loathed album on these forums, right?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:15:33 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2017, 04:22:57 AM »
Considering the impact TJT had not only on U2 as a band, but music in general, it's a no-brainer it trumps Pop (political innuendo intended).

Besides, Pop led to ATYCLB, the most universally loathed album on these forums, right?

LOL  :)

Well, I actually like ATYCLB very much - it's my favourite post-2000 album.  So I think we should celebrate the fact Pop led to it :)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2017, 05:13:30 AM »

LOL  :)

Well, I actually like ATYCLB very much - it's my favourite post-2000 album.  So I think we should celebrate the fact Pop led to it :)
Celebration! YAY! I love to celebrate...

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2017, 05:16:31 AM »
I find it hilarious the same people bemoaning no celebration of Pop's anniversary are the same ones who complain U2's a heritage act and shouldn't repeat the past.  :P

Can you imagine a Pop anniversary tour this year? That'd go down as well as their performance did at iHeart when half the audience left. I'd love to hear more experimentation a la Pop, but TJT is the bigger anniversary. TJT is a wedding anniversary, Pop turning 20 is the anniversary of the first time they made their bed in the morning.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:18:34 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2017, 05:18:54 AM »
I'd try to go...and if I got to go I sure would NOT leave early!

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2017, 05:23:22 AM »

lol Imagine a bunch of middle aged men dressed in muscle shirts and cyberpunk janitor costumes, stuck in a giant lemon!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:25:54 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2017, 05:31:08 AM »

lol Imagine a bunch of middle aged men dressed in muscle shirts and cyberpunk janitor costumes, stuck in a giant lemon!
Thanks for THAT visual, Cat ! Laughing too hard for this early in the morning!