Author Topic: Atu2 rose bowl official ad with lumineers  (Read 8411 times)

Offline two hearts

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Atu2 rose bowl official ad with lumineers
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2017, 01:52:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A Joshua Tree Tour could mean Exit, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, and One Tree Hill get played regularly for the first time in nearly 30 years.  If they intend to fully replicate the '87 experience, that means cuts like A Sort of Homecoming, Gloria, and Two Hearts Beat As One will make a comeback too.  I don't mind a little summer nostalgia trip before getting to the new stuff come the fall.
I truly love them songs you mentioned,  not sure the band can do them justice now.  Plus can bono sing like he did back then anymore.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »
that 'hey ho' was used in an e-on (energy supplier) ad here

Waffles

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2017, 02:12:35 PM »
But the Lumineers will draw in a young crowd who only know U2's hits.  Then, after the concert, these younger kids will dig into their catalog and become U2 fans, thus an ingenious way to reach another generation.  Seems like a solid idea to me.

i don't really think support acts draw anyone in....more a case of people going to see the main act hopefully (from support acts point of view) dig into the support bands work.....it is about giving the support act exposure not the other way around /trying to win fans of the support band to the main act.

A majority of 17 year old are not going to shell out $100 for a 6 song set. Remember a lot of kids hate u2 because of the apple incident. Twenty one pilots would've been a much better choice
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:14:21 PM by Waffles »

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »
at least there is support for this...less live music for your money is never a good thing - was disappointing to see u2 go down that road last time.

on subject of support i have found down the years u2 crowds to be among the most negative towards support bands - always wondered why....seen lots of examples down years of u2 crowds staying sat down on floor, not applauding, showing no interest etc...

seen it at other bands shows too but u2 shows definitely among the worst for it..

I guess I got lucky in that the 2009 show had Snow Patrol (and they've got some pretty decent music) and the 2011 show had Florence (really good singer). Not at all excited for the Lumineers and hoping they have someone else for the other tour dates.

i saw the wonderful glasvegas at croke park in 2009 and they blew u2 away...
Are they still together?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2017, 02:53:55 PM »
How many Lumineers fans are gonna pay tickets probably north of $100 to see them play for 45 minutes or so? Not to many. The success of this tour will be based on how many casual U2 fans come back to see JT nostalgia.

You'd be surprised at how many do this for bands that don't come to their town very often. If they're your favorite band and you're desperate to see them live, you'll pay $100 for even a 45 minute setlist.

I just did a quick google search. Lumineers are currently touring North America and tickets are in the $40 range. Pretty unlikely their fans will drop over $100 to see an abbreviated set while they can pay half that and see a full set.

These shows may attract some Lumineers fans, but it will be minimal.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
at least there is support for this...less live music for your money is never a good thing - was disappointing to see u2 go down that road last time.

on subject of support i have found down the years u2 crowds to be among the most negative towards support bands - always wondered why....seen lots of examples down years of u2 crowds staying sat down on floor, not applauding, showing no interest etc...

seen it at other bands shows too but u2 shows definitely among the worst for it..

I guess I got lucky in that the 2009 show had Snow Patrol (and they've got some pretty decent music) and the 2011 show had Florence (really good singer). Not at all excited for the Lumineers and hoping they have someone else for the other tour dates.

i saw the wonderful glasvegas at croke park in 2009 and they blew u2 away...
Are they still together?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

yes.....been a few gigs recently and there was talk of a new record...

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2017, 03:18:02 PM »
I don't know the Lumineers, will have to check them out. 

But really let's think about this for a moment.  U2 had Kanye West and The Black Eyed Peas open for them in the past.  Can it really get worse than these 2 disasters?  The answer is no.  No, it cannot get much worse than that.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »

But really let's think about this for a moment.  U2 had Kanye West and The Black Eyed Peas open for them in the past.  Can it really get worse than these 2 disasters?  The answer is no.  No, it cannot get much worse than that.

Kelis's milkshake sent all the boys to the bar!

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2017, 03:29:51 PM »

8)

To be fair to the BEP, when they opened at the Rose Bowl, they did an epic version of Sweet Child O' Mine and had Slash come out to open it.  It was epic.  I think that performance got a bigger audience response than U2 that night.

But they still suck as much as almost any 'band' in recorded human history. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2017, 03:46:11 PM »

8)

To be fair to the BEP, when they opened at the Rose Bowl, they did an epic version of Sweet Child O' Mine and had Slash come out to open it.  It was epic.  I think that performance got a bigger audience response than U2 that night.

But they still suck as much as almost any 'band' in recorded human history.

i am not hugely familiar with them - the fella with the daft name was resposnsible in some part for crazy tonight...so based on just that i don't think i like him!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2017, 03:54:23 PM »
How many Lumineers fans are gonna pay tickets probably north of $100 to see them play for 45 minutes or so? Not to many. The success of this tour will be based on how many casual U2 fans come back to see JT nostalgia.

You'd be surprised at how many do this for bands that don't come to their town very often. If they're your favorite band and you're desperate to see them live, you'll pay $100 for even a 45 minute setlist.

I just did a quick google search. Lumineers are currently touring North America and tickets are in the $40 range. Pretty unlikely their fans will drop over $100 to see an abbreviated set while they can pay half that and see a full set.

Most likely yes, was just saying this can and does happen. I even did it once for a band I liked (granted, those tickets were only around $30) and then left after their set was done because I could not stand the headliner.

Kanye was/is actually a really good rap artist--not a fan of his music, but I've heard he puts on a great live show when he's not going crazy on stage. He's also very highly regarded in the rap world and is considered one of the best. The last time I even remotely liked a BEP song was "Where Is The Love", so I'm not going to defend them.

The Lumineers are pretty bland alt pop. "Ho Hey" was ok the first 50 times I heard it, but then when it got used/played all the time, I developed an immense dislike for it. At this point, I'd rather they picked the Imagine Dragons (and I don't even like them, either). Or even Mumford (as is rumored for some of these dates).

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2017, 03:56:58 PM »

Most likely yes, was just saying this can and does happen. I even did it once for a band I liked (granted, those tickets were only around $30) and then left after their set was done because I could not stand the headliner.

Kanye was/is actually a really good rap artist--not a fan of his music, but I've heard he puts on a great live show when he's not going crazy on stage. He's also very highly regarded in the rap world and is considered one of the best. The last time I even remotely liked a BEP song was "Where Is The Love", so I'm not going to defend them.

yes but rap is not music, so...

Offline Dono

• Refugee
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
Croke Park for July according to RTE. 11 O'Clock, tick tock.....in UK anyway!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2017, 04:19:36 PM »

yes but rap is not music, so...

Try telling that to the millions of people who listen to rap.  ;) I don't care for it, but I'd rather listen to it than new country.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »
I'm not particularly bothered either way for Mumfords or Lumineers but I don't understand the hate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk