Author Topic: Atu2 rose bowl official ad with lumineers  (Read 8606 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Atu2 rose bowl official ad with lumineers
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2017, 04:24:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pretty sure everybody's heard this song, it's quite the ear worm:

o that song. yea i don't like that type of music. why does he has his guitar hoisted up to his collarbone?

Offline Crafty

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2017, 04:36:30 PM »
Long term fan of the lads. Their music and tours have always excited me but I must say I think this is a rubbish idea. We won't get and deeper cuts- it's a stadium tour so it will be greatest hits to please the masses. They've been playing JT songs for 30 years so there nothing new in this. A heritage tour from a band that said thy would never do this - disappointing and the end of innovation and creativity. What a sad,sad way to go.

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »
How many Lumineers fans are gonna pay tickets probably north of $100 to see them play for 45 minutes or so? Not to many. The success of this tour will be based on how many casual U2 fans come back to see JT nostalgia.

You'd be surprised at how many do this for bands that don't come to their town very often. If they're your favorite band and you're desperate to see them live, you'll pay $100 for even a 45 minute setlist.

I just did a quick google search. Lumineers are currently touring North America and tickets are in the $40 range. Pretty unlikely their fans will drop over $100 to see an abbreviated set while they can pay half that and see a full set.

These shows may attract some Lumineers fans, but it will be minimal.

Most likely yes, was just saying this can and does happen. I even did it once for a band I liked (granted, those tickets were only around $30) and then left after their set was done because I could not stand the headliner.

I don't know the Lumineers, will have to check them out. 

But really let's think about this for a moment.  U2 had Kanye West and The Black Eyed Peas open for them in the past.  Can it really get worse than these 2 disasters?  The answer is no.  No, it cannot get much worse than that.

Kanye was/is actually a really good rap artist--not a fan of his music, but I've heard he puts on a great live show when he's not going crazy on stage. He's also very highly regarded in the rap world and is considered one of the best. The last time I even remotely liked a BEP song was "Where Is The Love", so I'm not going to defend them.

yes but rap is not music, so...

You can't be serious....?

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2017, 05:12:18 PM »
that 'hey ho' was used in an e-on (energy supplier) ad here

It's been used in commercials in N. America as well. Just found out from reading this form it's the Lumineers that sing it. Will definitely be at the bar while they are playing.

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2017, 05:47:47 PM »
at least there is support for this...less live music for your money is never a good thing - was disappointing to see u2 go down that road last time.

on subject of support i have found down the years u2 crowds to be among the most negative towards support bands - always wondered why....seen lots of examples down years of u2 crowds staying sat down on floor, not applauding, showing no interest etc...

seen it at other bands shows too but u2 shows definitely among the worst for it..
The one U2 show I've been to with an opener was with Interpol on 360. I wasn't interested because they either didn't get a soundcheck or decided to make their drums the only thing audible.

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »
Okay, I'm pretty sure there'll be a poll up soon asking if an anniversary tour is a good idea. I'm picking it will be 70/30 against... but aside all of that, it looks more likely than not that the Depeche Mode info is correct that SOE will be released in 9 months and not the 2 as we thought prior to Christmas. Jick is already salivating over this news, because he knows they're almost guaranteed to "go back to the studio" as a result of this tour... which means an album maybe in 2018.

My only hope is that they fire out the album in March and have thrown out the idea of a I&E Part Two tour... I'd be okay with a Joshua Tree and SOE album toured together. Thematically they probobly would go together very well.

The Joshua Tree made me a U2 fan, it would be very ironic if the Joshua Tree made me walk away from them.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2017, 06:10:04 PM »
Okay, I'm pretty sure there'll be a poll up soon asking if an anniversary tour is a good idea. I'm picking it will be 70/30 against... but aside all of that, it looks more likely than not that the Depeche Mode info is correct that SOE will be released in 9 months and not the 2 as we thought prior to Christmas. Jick is already salivating over this news, because he knows they're almost guaranteed to "go back to the studio" as a result of this tour... which means an album maybe in 2018.

If they don't put the album out in 2017, then they have just made huge fools of themselves by announcing that it would be out in 2017 so publicly. And at that point, no one will trust anything they say about a new album coming out until it actually is on the shelves.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »

My only hope is that they fire out the album in March and have thrown out the idea of a I&E Part Two tour... I'd be okay with a Joshua Tree and SOE album toured together. Thematically they probobly would go together very well.

The Joshua Tree made me a U2 fan, it would be very ironic if the Joshua Tree made me walk away from them.

Just curious what you mean by "Depeche Mode info"?

Why on earth would the band touring Joshua Tree make you walk away from them? Seems absurd to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2017, 06:45:51 PM »

If they don't put the album out in 2017, then they have just made huge fools of themselves by announcing that it would be out in 2017 so publicly. And at that point, no one will trust anything they say about a new album coming out until it actually is on the shelves.

Ding ding ding ding ding!!! For those of you putting stock in everything the band says, do NOT trust anything they say about SOE until you see it on the shelves.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2017, 06:51:52 PM »

Most of us already feel that way. It doesn't take long to learn that you have to take everything they say in regards to future plans very lightly.

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »
Pretty sure everybody's heard this song, it's quite the ear worm:

o that song. yea i don't like that type of music. why does he has his guitar hoisted up to his collarbone?

lol.  The name of the band made no connection with me until I clicked on the link for that song.  Yeah, it is just "ok" stuff.  They wont be a horrible support act, everything will be new to me other than that song in the video.  I mean, yeah, I wish we had Pearl Jam or something like that! :)

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2017, 07:14:40 PM »
Long term fan of the lads. Their music and tours have always excited me but I must say I think this is a rubbish idea. We won't get and deeper cuts- it's a stadium tour so it will be greatest hits to please the masses. They've been playing JT songs for 30 years so there nothing new in this. A heritage tour from a band that said thy would never do this - disappointing and the end of innovation and creativity. What a sad,sad way to go.

Nailed it.

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2017, 07:19:20 PM »

Just curious what you mean by "Depeche Mode info"?

Why on earth would the band touring Joshua Tree make you walk away from them? Seems absurd to me.

The "Depeche Mode" info is a legimate U2 player saying that the album would be released in the Autumn... which is October... prior to that, the belief was that it would be Spring.

So we have an album that is finished (fact) and it might not even be around for nine months (strong conjecture) and in between there's a tour of an album that's 30 years old. So this is all just rumour until tomorrow I suppose, but I'm sure I heard someone say once that if you glorify the past the future dries up.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2017, 07:31:48 PM »

Ding ding ding ding ding!!! For those of you putting stock in everything the band says, do NOT trust anything they say about SOE until you see it on the shelves.

I would agree with this for the most part, but have they ever come out with an official video announcement like this and not delivered? I get that they've been interviewed numerous times in the past and have mentioned an album coming out that year (that ultimately doesn't) but I can't think of a single instance where they publicly announced it like this and didn't release it.

Literally, that video announcement combined with what Chris Evans said is the only thing that makes me optimistic SoE will come out in 2017. Like I said, if they don't deliver after so publicly announcing this, then they are making even bigger fools of themselves than before.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2017, 07:33:07 PM »
Exactly. Sadly I feel little for my favourite band of all time now. It wasn't meant to go like this. After two or so years since their last album, the promises of moving forward and a rapid follow up etc etc. and it appears to be going on the back burner for this? SoE may come out later in the year, or not.
Yes, two years isn't long between albums for U2, in fact it's pretty quick. But as usual, they talk about being in rich songwriting form, edge on fire blah blah. Then they lose their cohunas and go with a nostalgia tour instead.
They are well settled in their comfort zone and aren't going to be budged out of it. I wonder sometimes what Larry is thinking. He didn't like experimental sounds like a passengers but also said a couple of poor albums and they're done. It doesn't seem to matter now.
I also wonder what War era U2 would have thought if they could have seen themselves 30 years in the future hanging out with celebrities and rich and famous.

Well, on the bright side, they're still alive and doing their thing. I'm sure Bowie or Prince fans would give a limb or two just to here them play an older album of theirs live again. To me, that's an actual sad thing.

A Joshua Tree Tour could mean Exit, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, and One Tree Hill get played regularly for the first time in nearly 30 years.  If they intend to fully replicate the '87 experience, that means cuts like A Sort of Homecoming, Gloria, and Two Hearts Beat As One will make a comeback too.  I don't mind a little summer nostalgia trip before getting to the new stuff come the fall.

For a band that played 7-9 new songs on their last tour, I'm not quite sure why there's speculation on being a "heritage" act now, honestly. First they don't play enough songs, then when there's the idea that they'll probably be playing a whole album (and all those songs finally seeing the light of day for the first time), then it's still a problem. Darned if you do, darned if you don't, I guess.

I can see both sides of this, but I'm okay with it. Bruce Springsteen got similar criticism for touring The River album, but I listened to lots of his concerts over periscope last summer and they were always a good time. Don't like it, don't go.

Yep.