Author Topic: Atu2 rose bowl official ad with lumineers  (Read 8608 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Atu2 rose bowl official ad with lumineers
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2017, 07:46:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Okay, I'm pretty sure there'll be a poll up soon asking if an anniversary tour is a good idea. I'm picking it will be 70/30 against... but aside all of that, it looks more likely than not that the Depeche Mode info is correct that SOE will be released in 9 months and not the 2 as we thought prior to Christmas. Jick is already salivating over this news, because he knows they're almost guaranteed to "go back to the studio" as a result of this tour... which means an album maybe in 2018.

If they don't put the album out in 2017, then they have just made huge fools of themselves by announcing that it would be out in 2017 so publicly. And at that point, no one will trust anything they say about a new album coming out until it actually is on the shelves.

Ding ding ding ding ding!!! For those of you putting stock in everything the band says, do NOT trust anything they say about SOE until you see it on the shelves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would agree with this for the most part, but have they ever come out with an official video announcement like this and not delivered? I get that they've been interviewed numerous times in the past and have mentioned an album coming out that year (that ultimately doesn't) but I can't think of a single instance where they publicly announced it like this and didn't release it.

Literally, that video announcement combined with what Chris Evans said is the only thing that makes me optimistic SoE will come out in 2017. Like I said, if they don't deliver after so publicly announcing this, then they are making even bigger fools of themselves than before.

That's cool. And by all means, be optimistic for the new album release. It certainly seems at least possible, and that it's their intention to do so. But if it doesn't happen, they aren't making fools of themselves. Of you, or us, maybe. But we are a tiny fraction of their fans who might actually remember what they said. Few else will, and they aren't beholden to us anyway. Any number of things could delay things further. Be optimistic, but enjoy what's happening in the here and now, and don't hang your hopes on what may happen in the future.

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »
I enjoyed the black eyed peas and muse. Lenny kravitz was meh. Florence and the machine is decent but basically a modern fleetwood mac
Waffles, you seriously enjoyed BEP over Lenny? I saw BEP at the 360 in Vancouver and saw Lenny at the 360 in Seattle. Thought Lenny was way better. ( Music being subjective and all :) )

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2017, 07:55:58 PM »
I'm really excited about U2 pushing back a finished album for 9 months (and likely more once they "get on fire" again) so that they can tour a 30 year old album. But then I realised, I don't live in the States, so I'm not going to get to be able to see them play Streets, I Still Haven't Found, With Or Without You, Bullet, Running to Stand Still... again, much like all the other times I've heard them play these on previous tours.

If they didn't have a finished album, I'd be okay with this... I hope the pretty strong rumour that the album is at least 9 months away is wrong.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2017, 07:57:31 PM »
Okay, I'm pretty sure there'll be a poll up soon asking if an anniversary tour is a good idea. I'm picking it will be 70/30 against... but aside all of that, it looks more likely than not that the Depeche Mode info is correct that SOE will be released in 9 months and not the 2 as we thought prior to Christmas. Jick is already salivating over this news, because he knows they're almost guaranteed to "go back to the studio" as a result of this tour... which means an album maybe in 2018.

If they don't put the album out in 2017, then they have just made huge fools of themselves by announcing that it would be out in 2017 so publicly. And at that point, no one will trust anything they say about a new album coming out until it actually is on the shelves.

Ding ding ding ding ding!!! For those of you putting stock in everything the band says, do NOT trust anything they say about SOE until you see it on the shelves.

I would agree with this for the most part, but have they ever come out with an official video announcement like this and not delivered? I get that they've been interviewed numerous times in the past and have mentioned an album coming out that year (that ultimately doesn't) but I can't think of a single instance where they publicly announced it like this and didn't release it.

Literally, that video announcement combined with what Chris Evans said is the only thing that makes me optimistic SoE will come out in 2017. Like I said, if they don't deliver after so publicly announcing this, then they are making even bigger fools of themselves than before.

That's cool. And by all means, be optimistic for the new album release. It certainly seems at least possible, and that it's their intention to do so. But if it doesn't happen, they aren't making fools of themselves. Of you, or us, maybe. But we are a tiny fraction of their fans who might actually remember what they said. Few else will, and they aren't beholden to us anyway. Any number of things could delay things further. Be optimistic, but enjoy what's happening in the here and now, and don't hang your hopes on what may happen in the future.

Yeah, it's why I said before I'm not even excited for a new album, I'm more excited to see them live. I'm fully anticipating the album to be decent, but in no way superior to what they did before the 00s. Still I can see where fans are expecting a new album given what they said, and I'd hate to see the band let them down that way. True, things happen, but this is something they've been doing for years to a lesser degree (teasing an album, mentioning a potential release, then not delivering) and it gets old at a certain point. I can't think of any other band who have repeatedly strung fans along in that way.

This is a video they recorded that they had full control over, so it's not like Bono opened his mouth without thinking like he would in an interview. So for them to throw 2017 out there as the release date for SoE and then not put it out, that'd be a bit frustrating.

Waffles

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2017, 08:12:42 PM »
I'm looking at the promo pic, and I'm realizing this JT tour has actually been planned for awhile (during the IE Tour) possibly. Things to note: Bonos hair color. He stopped dying it in December 2015. But it certainly looks blonde in the pic.
So, why would the band randomly do a JT photo shoot in 2015 without any intention? The only conclusion is they've been planning this for over a year. Maybe live nation isn't forcing them. Maybe the plan was SOE and finish IE in 2016 then do this little stadium thing in 2017. It certainly seems that way now

Waffles

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2017, 08:14:44 PM »
I enjoyed the black eyed peas and muse. Lenny kravitz was meh. Florence and the machine is decent but basically a modern fleetwood mac
Waffles, you seriously enjoyed BEP over Lenny? I saw BEP at the 360 in Vancouver and saw Lenny at the 360 in Seattle. Thought Lenny was way better. ( Music being subjective and all :) )

In all honesty yes. He was just weird and I'm not a fan of his songs. But in all fairness the rose bowl performance the BEP did was a little special. They brought out slash and did a little Guns N' Roses. Everyone went wild

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2017, 08:18:17 PM »

Yeah, it's why I said before I'm not even excited for a new album, I'm more excited to see them live. I'm fully anticipating the album to be decent, but in no way superior to what they did before the 00s. Still I can see where fans are expecting a new album given what they said, and I'd hate to see the band let them down that way. True, things happen, but this is something they've been doing for years to a lesser degree (teasing an album, mentioning a potential release, then not delivering) and it gets old at a certain point. I can't think of any other band who have repeatedly strung fans along in that way.

This is a video they recorded that they had full control over, so it's not like Bono opened his mouth without thinking like he would in an interview. So for them to throw 2017 out there as the release date for SoE and then not put it out, that'd be a bit frustrating.

I can agree with frustrating. I'm very used to it be now, and can only advise other fans not to pin their hopes on them. I'm reminded of interviews Bono did during Zoo TV, that rock stars will let you down. They will. They have. Enjoy what you get from them, as much as you can. But don't hang on them to deliver when they say they will, or the type of art you want from them. That's making a fool of one's self.

Waffles

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »

I can agree with frustrating. I'm very used to it be now, and can only advise other fans not to pin their hopes on them. I'm reminded of interviews Bono did during Zoo TV, that rock stars will let you down. They will. They have. Enjoy what you get from them, as much as you can. But don't hang on them to deliver when they say they will, or the type of art you want from them. That's making a fool of one's self.

That's interesting, I thought SOI was the best since POP. Especially Cedarwood road to the troubles. Pure genius in those tunes

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Atu2 rose bowl official ad with lumineers
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2017, 08:21:38 PM »

That's interesting, I thought SOI was the best since POP. Especially Cedarwood road to the troubles. Pure genius in those tunes

I'd probably agree.

Now, NLOTH....that was about as bad as Spinal Tap's "Shark Sandwich".

Waffles

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2017, 08:25:58 PM »
I'm looking at the promo pic, and I'm realizing this JT tour has actually been planned for awhile (during the IE Tour) possibly. Things to note: Bonos hair color. He stopped dying it in December 2015. But it certainly looks blonde in the pic.
So, why would the band randomly do a JT photo shoot in 2015 without any intention? The only conclusion is they've been planning this for over a year. Maybe live nation isn't forcing them. Maybe the plan was SOE and finish IE in 2016 then do this little stadium thing in 2017. It certainly seems that way now

Any thoughts on this?

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2017, 08:30:40 PM »

The photo could've been taken for any reason related to JT's 30th. Didn't have to be for a tour.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2017, 08:33:42 PM »

Any thoughts on this?

I thought his hair looked reddish in this pic? Closer to what it looks like now than it did when he was blonde, anyway.

So I think the photo is newer than 2015. Probably shot late last year (2016).

Regarding SoI being the best since Pop, that's down to your musical preferences I suppose. I'd rank it on the same level or slightly below ATYCLB and HTDAAB (yes, these two were weaker albums than their 90s output, but they were pretty good pop rock albums). Absolutely, SoI is 100% better than NLOTH. In all honesty, NLOTH and October are the two U2 albums I really don't want to listen to in their entirety. I've got some favorites off of each that I'll listen to from time to time, but never the whole album.

EDIT: Just looked again, that hair is definitely not blonde, more brownish red than anything. I'm a brunette and my hair does the same thing in sunlight (looks lighter than it really is).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:35:15 PM by tigerfan41 »

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2017, 08:36:57 PM »
The photo could've been taken for any reason related to JT's 30th. Didn't have to be for a tour.

And to add to this, don't forget the *fact* that the Rose Bowl show(s) were just approved in December, barely 5 months before they're to happen: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Also, a friend who works in the hospitality industry says U2 just booked its accommodations a couple weeks ago at one of their usual hotels used when on tour.

These are not the moves of a tour that's been in the works for a long time.

Lastly, if the photo was taken at Hargen Beach as many have been saying, remember that Bono announced during one of the Amsterdam shows that the photo shoot with Corbijn was for the SOE cover: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Waffles

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2017, 08:45:35 PM »

And to add to this, don't forget the *fact* that the Rose Bowl show(s) were just approved in December, barely 5 months before they're to happen: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Also, a friend who works in the hospitality industry says U2 just booked its accommodations a couple weeks ago at one of their usual hotels used when on tour.

These are not the moves of a tour that's been in the works for a long time.

Lastly, if the photo was taken at Hargen Beach as many have been saying, remember that Bono announced during one of the Amsterdam shows that the photo shoot with Corbijn was for the SOE cover: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Interesting, ill look out for Bono at Chateau Marmont, his usual place of stay

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »
How many Lumineers fans are gonna pay tickets probably north of $100 to see them play for 45 minutes or so? Not to many. The success of this tour will be based on how many casual U2 fans come back to see JT nostalgia.

You'd be surprised at how many do this for bands that don't come to their town very often. If they're your favorite band and you're desperate to see them live, you'll pay $100 for even a 45 minute setlist.

I just did a quick google search. Lumineers are currently touring North America and tickets are in the $40 range. Pretty unlikely their fans will drop over $100 to see an abbreviated set while they can pay half that and see a full set.

These shows may attract some Lumineers fans, but it will be minimal.

Most likely yes, was just saying this can and does happen. I even did it once for a band I liked (granted, those tickets were only around $30) and then left after their set was done because I could not stand the headliner.

I don't know the Lumineers, will have to check them out. 

But really let's think about this for a moment.  U2 had Kanye West and The Black Eyed Peas open for them in the past.  Can it really get worse than these 2 disasters?  The answer is no.  No, it cannot get much worse than that.

Kanye was/is actually a really good rap artist--not a fan of his music, but I've heard he puts on a great live show when he's not going crazy on stage. He's also very highly regarded in the rap world and is considered one of the best. The last time I even remotely liked a BEP song was "Where Is The Love", so I'm not going to defend them.

yes but rap is not music, so...

You can't be serious....?
Oh, this has got to be good!