Author Topic: Edge says SOE FINISHED  (Read 5904 times)

Waffles

Edge says SOE FINISHED
« on: January 09, 2017, 02:36:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Finished in 2016. But they want to relook at it because of trump and the changing world...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:39:17 AM by Waffles »

Offline RABIDLAMB

• Babyface
Re: Edge says SOE FINISHED
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 02:40:51 AM »
Adam Clayton just finished a long ranging interview on Irish (RTE) Radio 1. Said that 14 to 16 songs were done but they may use the experience of the Joshua Tree revisit to tweek some of them. Said they just weren't quite there yet. Said album will follow at the end of the year but some of the tracks may end up being played live on the tour. I'll put up a link once it becomes available.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 02:44:13 AM »
I'm afraid the delay is too bad. I really liked the idea of a thrillogy, but in this way they're gonna be 90 when the third is released and they can tour with it.

Waffles

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 02:45:22 AM »
I'm worried for IE tour

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 02:46:49 AM »
from the interview with Edge:

...when we came off the last tour, the Innocence and Experience indoor tour, we headed straight into finishing the second album of that set, Songs of Experience, which we were pretty much complete with after a couple of weeks of the final touches leading up to the end of the year. And then the election [happened] and suddenly the world changed. We just went, "Hold on a second we've got to give ourselves a moment to think about this record and about how it relates to what's going on in the world." That's because it was written mostly, I mean, 80 percent of it was started before 2016, but most of it was written in the early part of 2016, and now, as I think you'd agree, the world is a different place.

Will the next record be Songs of Experience or is it possible it will be something else entirely?

No, I think it's Songs of Experience. When I say it's almost done, we definitely want to take this opportunity to think about it, make sure it's really what we want to put out given the changes that have occurred in the world. And maybe a little will change, but we absolutely wanted to take that chance just to reconsider everything. And who knows? We may even write a couple of new songs because that's the very position we're in. We've given ourselves a little bit of breathing space for creativity.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:50:36 AM by ecadad »

Offline playingtricksagain

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 02:47:23 AM »
"Trump Is Bad (feat. Hillary Clinton)" will be the hottest single come 2018.

Offline drjako

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 02:52:06 AM »
"We've given ourselves a little bit of breathing space for creativity."

Lol! You kill me, Edge.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 02:55:44 AM »
Why's the world a different place in the space of a year, The Edge?

Offline JFW

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 03:03:59 AM »
About the interview, it's important this is said:

Still, I'm sure the word "nostalgia" is going to get tossed around in connection to this tour. How do you feel about that?
Well, as I said, I think what's important for us is that it's not really about nostalgia. There's an element of nostalgia that we can't avoid, but it's not motivated by a desire to look backwards. It's almost like this album has come full circle and we're back there again. It's kind of got a relevance again that we're certainly aware of.

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 03:05:35 AM »
It's kind of got a relevance again that we're certainly aware of.

Someone told Bono that TJT is relevant now, and Bono can never say no to relevance...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:12:40 AM by ecadad »

Offline JFW

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 03:09:09 AM »

Someone told Bono that TJT is relevant now, and Bono can never so no to relevance...

Yeah, but it's important to say that it's not all about nostagia (It's one of the words I hate the most). Maybe he just says it so it looks like U2 don't want it, but in the mean time they've done it for the nost*****.

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 03:10:13 AM »

Someone told Bono that TJT is relevant now, and Bono can never so no to relevance...

Ah damn.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 03:12:52 AM »

Still, I'm sure the word "nostalgia" is going to get tossed around in connection to this tour. How do you feel about that?
Well, as I said, I think what's important for us is that it's not really about nostalgia. There's an element of nostalgia that we can't avoid, but it's not motivated by a desire to look backwards. It's almost like this album has come full circle and we're back there again. It's kind of got a relevance again that we're certainly aware of.

And people call Bono a bullsh***er!

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 03:16:28 AM »
Time to ring Steve Lillywhite + an army of 5,000 producers you've never even heard of to make it relevant.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 03:28:38 AM »

This sounds very unconvincing....if he had just said 'hey we love the record and we wanna celebrate its 30th anniversary and play those songs that a lot of people love' i would have said fair enough......babbling on about the record being relevant is to me anyway the sound of a man who isn't really telling it like it is and seems to be trying to convince himself.