Author Topic: Edge says SOE FINISHED  (Read 5885 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Edge says SOE FINISHED
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 03:33:05 AM »
this is funny...

a very revealing insight into just how much second guessing goes on in u2 minds....

Are you going to play the album in sequence at the shows?
I believe we will, and I say "believe we will" because that is certainly the working assumption right now. The show might not necessarily start with Track One, Side One, "Where the Streets Have No Name," because we feel like maybe we need to build up to that moment, so we're still in the middle of figuring out exactly how the running order will go, so yes. We will be playing the album in sequence.

Is it just me or is that a quite unreal answer?

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 03:40:03 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
About the interview, it's important this is said:

Still, I'm sure the word "nostalgia" is going to get tossed around in connection to this tour. How do you feel about that?
Well, as I said, I think what's important for us is that it's not really about nostalgia. There's an element of nostalgia that we can't avoid, but it's not motivated by a desire to look backwards. It's almost like this album has come full circle and we're back there again. It's kind of got a relevance again that we're certainly aware of.

This sounds very unconvincing....if he had just said 'hey we love the record and we wanna celebrate its 30th anniversary and play those songs that a lot of people love' i would have said fair enough......babbling on about the record being relevant is to me anyway the sound of a man who isn't really telling it like it is and seems to be trying to convince himself.

I mean which songs on TJT are relevant about 2016 and 2017 that weren't relevant beforehand?

It's a thirtieth anniversary classic album stadium-playing nostalgia cash grab, pure and simple.

The Edge sounds like a politician sent out to defend the indefensible.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 03:57:14 AM »
this is funny...

a very revealing insight into just how much second guessing goes on in u2 minds....

Are you going to play the album in sequence at the shows?
I believe we will, and I say "believe we will" because that is certainly the working assumption right now. The show might not necessarily start with Track One, Side One, "Where the Streets Have No Name," because we feel like maybe we need to build up to that moment, so we're still in the middle of figuring out exactly how the running order will go, so yes. We will be playing the album in sequence.

Is it just me or is that a quite unreal answer?

Nah. I'm betting the deal with Live Nation stipulates they play the full album, probably "in order". I wondered if that might mean they would insert songs between the JT ones, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So now they have to decide if they're going to start with it, do it as a second half, or somewhere in the middle. Which is likely what they're working out now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 04:01:11 AM »
Bruce Springsteen has performed whole classic albums in sequence in the middle of a set, so that is what I reckon U2 will do themselves unless they have an intermission like PF had on the Division Bell tour and perform it immediately after the intermission.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 04:04:29 AM »
Bruce Springsteen has performed whole classic albums in sequence in the middle of a set, so that is what I reckon U2 will do themselves unless they have an intermission like PF had on the Division Bell tour and perform it immediately after the intermission.

Yeah, the intermission for I+E was the first time they did that, so I wonder if they'll use that device for this tour and do it as the second half, followed by encores. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline paisley1985

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 04:09:15 AM »
So if i understand right.....no New single?from SOE........no reworked single from JT 30th anniversary. ..no New JT reissue with bonus material?...i'M disapointed!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 04:26:06 AM by paisley1985 »

Offline patjoller

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 04:10:09 AM »
do we need more evidence that this band is like the rolling stones and is only capable of doing greatest hits/JT tour and record once in a while an album full of middle of the road songs just to have an excuse to tour and play the greatest hits again ?
I think it's pretty obvious this time, and stop trying to justify that JT tour with the state of the world that made this album relevant. It's your best selling album and you can't fill stadiums based only on your new MOR, radio friendly albums anymore.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Edge says SOE FINISHED
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 04:45:32 AM »
They're tinkering!! :D :D
I can't say I'm surprised.
I knew that Trump victory would lead them to second guessing everything they've done at this point (as laughable as it is).
And we all know what happens when they do...

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 04:53:21 AM »
I don't have a problem with a Joshua Tree tour. Promoting old music is not a bad thing, it's a fair thing that should be done more, and not be seen as a coward move.

But I am disappointed with the SOE news. It certainly won't be released in 2017, they have no faith in the album and won't do enough effort to have it this year, even more now that they have all this Josha Tree thing to worry about.

Jick was right.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 04:57:27 AM »
SoI was released in late 2014 so expect the next album to be released four years after that, which would be in 2018.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:06:06 AM by John Galt »

Offline patjoller

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 05:02:55 AM »
there's no problem doing an anniversary tour for a landmark album... but saying they're doing so because the world is in a bad place and connects with the songs that are 30 years old is B.S.. Don't say anything... there's no need to justify such a move, tons of artists are doing it. But doing that show instead of the continuation of another tour, and still trying to work on an album announced 2 years ago is laughable, and they probably forgot what larry said after the release of innocence.. spending 4 years working on album is something they don't want to do anymore.... guess what ? they did it again

Offline gujuju

• Babyface
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 06:42:11 AM »
Highly disappointing day.   I am not excited for the JT tour, I was excited for SOE.  It's not coming at year end- no way they have time to finish it after.     2018 at the earliest if ever.   And everyone who was excited for greatness needs to re-think it.   Let's face it- if it were great it would be out by now.    At this point if they make something as good as NLOTH we would be lucky

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 06:59:46 AM »
So basically, Trump delayed the release of SOE.   Unbelievable.  Am I really to believe that all of this came together since November 8?

Offline DPardue

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 07:09:33 AM »

Still, I'm sure the word "nostalgia" is going to get tossed around in connection to this tour. How do you feel about that?
Well, as I said, I think what's important for us is that it's not really about nostalgia. There's an element of nostalgia that we can't avoid, but it's not motivated by a desire to look backwards. It's almost like this album has come full circle and we're back there again. It's kind of got a relevance again that we're certainly aware of.

This sounds very unconvincing....if he had just said 'hey we love the record and we wanna celebrate its 30th anniversary and play those songs that a lot of people love' i would have said fair enough......babbling on about the record being relevant is to me anyway the sound of a man who isn't really telling it like it is and seems to be trying to convince himself.

I remember a great band once sang that you glorify the past when the future dries up.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 07:13:05 AM »

I remember a great band once sang that you glorify the past when the future dries up.

Ah the arrogance of youth!