Author Topic: Edge says SOE FINISHED  (Read 5896 times)

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Edge says SOE FINISHED
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2017, 12:59:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They really need to ditch the Trump bashing for this tour, I remember the majority of the forum predicted correctly a Anti Trump protest for Bullet during the DreamForce show. That was borderline cringe, however if they were to continue that into this tour, given what has happened and that America have voted unanimously for a Trump Presidency, it would be embarrassing if you ask me. It's time to move on and fuel the middle of that song live with another event or past experience they can call upon

Um... No sir.  America has not voted unanimously for a Trump Presidency.  He lost the popular vote by over 2million and had a very low electoral college margin of victory.  So going by the data U2 would be well served to continue to bash the GOP/trump.

He had over 300 Electoral votes when there were suggesting he wouldn't even break 200, End of story

I think it's time for people generally to stop the bitterness and accept the result. People want change and it can be extremely hard to accept that, especially in Trumps case

Maybe U2 will be positive about the changes that people have voted for.

Post of the year!

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2017, 01:00:14 PM »
So SOE is finished... but not released until September/October after they've toured and had a chance to relook at the songs... i pity the fool who actually genuinely believes SOE will be out later this year.

What really gets me is that less than two weeks ago they put out a video where they explicitly said SOE was finished... but now they're saying it's not really finished and will be revisiting it later this year to make sure it fits the mood of the times. I would suggest that if they've really written an album about experiences, then it would still fit the times. If they want to retool the songs to specifically reference the times, this album will be out of date real quick. Really what's happened is they're second guessing themselves again because Jay-Z or Jimmy Iovine has been allowed a listen.

Can you point me to the time stamp in the Xmas video where they said SOE is finished?  You can't because they never said that.  They said that it will be out in 2017, but they never said the words "SOE is FINISHED" in that video or anything like it.  All they said was that it is going to be a big 2017, they have SOE coming out and very special shows for the Joshua Tree.  Never did they say it was finished in the Xmas video.

I think at this stage, a certain Chris Evans has a lot to answer for!

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2017, 01:00:51 PM »
They really need to ditch the Trump bashing for this tour, I remember the majority of the forum predicted correctly a Anti Trump protest for Bullet during the DreamForce show. That was borderline cringe, however if they were to continue that into this tour, given what has happened and that America have voted unanimously for a Trump Presidency, it would be embarrassing if you ask me. It's time to move on and fuel the middle of that song live with another event or past experience they can call upon

Um... No sir.  America has not voted unanimously for a Trump Presidency.  He lost the popular vote by over 2million and had a very low electoral college margin of victory.  So going by the data U2 would be well served to continue to bash the GOP/trump.

He had over 300 Electoral votes when there were suggesting he wouldn't even break 200, End of story

I think it's time for people generally to stop the bitterness and accept the result. People want change and it can be extremely hard to accept that, especially in Trumps case

I don't think most are questioning the results, because that is over with.  What is worth questioning is going to be policies and the rhetoric that Trumps spews.   I do not see a problem for a band, especially U2 to point certain things. Trump through his endless tweets has come across as racists and a person that seems to want to divide, I see no issue U2 taking aim at those kind of things.   I think the Dreamforce performance and what they did was pretty accurate, Trump was calling for deportation and other such things and U2 used that in a smart way.  Yeah, they can get carried away with it at times, but honestly, It does not bother me.  If I disagree with a stance Bono has, I just don't agree with it and move on.  I have no issues with them injecting some political stuff into the shows, nothing wrong with it really.  I may agree or disagree, but they are the performers and they have the right to say something if they choose,  I don't have to agree with it, but it is something U2 has always done.

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »
u2 should just release SOE and then record a new album that looks out at the world. if they're reworking it to deal with the what's happened then the concept of SOI/SOE is as meaningless as it seemed to be.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2017, 01:19:22 PM »
They're taking a huge risk here by tying this decision (tour JT, delay SOE) to the Donald Trump election. If - by May - Trump is already looking like a buffoonish failure, putins lapdog, amateur, etc., they will look prophetic and relevant for this. But if Trump surprises people and gains in popularity by May, economy starts picking up, opinions change - they will be stuck with a stadium tour that makes a hollow message.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2017, 01:31:58 PM »
So SOE is finished... but not released until September/October after they've toured and had a chance to relook at the songs... i pity the fool who actually genuinely believes SOE will be out later this year.

What really gets me is that less than two weeks ago they put out a video where they explicitly said SOE was finished... but now they're saying it's not really finished and will be revisiting it later this year to make sure it fits the mood of the times. I would suggest that if they've really written an album about experiences, then it would still fit the times. If they want to retool the songs to specifically reference the times, this album will be out of date real quick. Really what's happened is they're second guessing themselves again because Jay-Z or Jimmy Iovine has been allowed a listen.

Can you point me to the time stamp in the Xmas video where they said SOE is finished?  You can't because they never said that.  They said that it will be out in 2017, but they never said the words "SOE is FINISHED" in that video or anything like it.  All they said was that it is going to be a big 2017, they have SOE coming out and very special shows for the Joshua Tree.  Never did they say it was finished in the Xmas video.

He said the album was finished. At the time, he was right--it was finished up until U2 decided to possibly change it given the state of the US right now. So Evans was correct, nothing to answer for.

They're taking a huge risk here by tying this decision (tour JT, delay SOE) to the Donald Trump election. If - by May - Trump is already looking like a buffoonish failure, putins lapdog, amateur, etc., they will look prophetic and relevant for this. But if Trump surprises people and gains in popularity by May, economy starts picking up, opinions change - they will be stuck with a stadium tour that makes a hollow message.

He already looks like all of those things and he hasn't even taken office yet. Believe me, I had some hope that things would be different in the first few days after the election, but when he showed his true colors in deeming everyone against him "professional protesters," that's when I lost hope that he'd be anything but what we already anticipated.

Besides all of that, yes, TJT is a political album, but they can certainly play it live without tying it into the Trump presidency and it'd still be a solid show. The album is strong enough without resorting to that.

I don't think most are questioning the results, because that is over with.  What is worth questioning is going to be policies and the rhetoric that Trumps spews.   I do not see a problem for a band, especially U2 to point certain things. Trump through his endless tweets has come across as racists and a person that seems to want to divide, I see no issue U2 taking aim at those kind of things.   I think the Dreamforce performance and what they did was pretty accurate, Trump was calling for deportation and other such things and U2 used that in a smart way.  Yeah, they can get carried away with it at times, but honestly, It does not bother me.  If I disagree with a stance Bono has, I just don't agree with it and move on.  I have no issues with them injecting some political stuff into the shows, nothing wrong with it really.  I may agree or disagree, but they are the performers and they have the right to say something if they choose,  I don't have to agree with it, but it is something U2 has always done.

Stateless is right, people who are complaining about U2's stance seem to forget that they have pretty much always been a political band and spent the 80s criticizing Reagan, the 90s criticizing Bush and Clinton, and the 00s also criticizing the war. All of a sudden, people are offended because they're criticizing a guy who embodies so much of what is wrong with the US right now? If it bothers you that much, don't go to the shows and find an artist who is more to your political leanings. Don't expect the artist to bow to your political beliefs.

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2017, 01:46:27 PM »
Crisis of confidence with their new album? Well what the f*** do you expect when you hire the likes of Ryan Tedder to preside over it? Perhaps if they hired one artistically credible producer and focused on that, then perhaps they would be able to make something interesting again. Rather than hire Tedder or Will I Am for pop sh**e fodder.

FFS....

That said, I'm all for The Joshua Tree tour, hopefully they can reframe it for the modern age and shove it up Trumps ar*e (and all those deluded idiot U2/Trump fans who inexplicably can't understand why U2 despise the guy - obviously know nothing about U2 and what they stand for).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:48:06 PM by MattD »

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Edge says SOE FINISHED
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2017, 02:04:07 PM »

He said the album was finished. At the time, he was right--it was finished up until U2 decided to possibly change it given the state of the US right now. So Evans was correct, nothing to answer for.

He already looks like all of those things and he hasn't even taken office yet. Believe me, I had some hope that things would be different in the first few days after the election, but when he showed his true colors in deeming everyone against him "professional protesters," that's when I lost hope that he'd be anything but what we already anticipated.

Besides all of that, yes, TJT is a political album, but they can certainly play it live without tying it into the Trump presidency and it'd still be a solid show. The album is strong enough without resorting to that.

Stateless is right, people who are complaining about U2's stance seem to forget that they have pretty much always been a political band and spent the 80s criticizing Reagan, the 90s criticizing Bush and Clinton, and the 00s also criticizing the war. All of a sudden, people are offended because they're criticizing a guy who embodies so much of what is wrong with the US right now? If it bothers you that much, don't go to the shows and find an artist who is more to your political leanings. Don't expect the artist to bow to your political beliefs.
You're right, but the problem is that they are no longer in their twenties with few bucks in their pockets.
People don't like to be preached to by 60 years old millionaires rockstars.
Many find them grating, 'cause they think they can't be aware of the struggles of common people from the golden cage they live in.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:06:26 PM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2017, 02:08:13 PM »
so wealthy men in their 50s aren't allowed to express political views? that seems a bit arbitrary and illogical

if you don't like what they have to say that's fine but to tell them that they should shut up because of their age and wealth is absurd

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »
Many find them grating, 'cause they think they can't be aware of the struggles of common people from the golden cage they live in.

I don't think they're even aware of what their customers want.  Like they don't seem aware that 97.3% of their fanbase want them to play ACROBAT!

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »

I don't think they're even aware of what their customers want.  Like they don't seem aware that 97.3% of their fanbase want them to play ACROBAT!
Even the interviewer pointed it out to Edge haha

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2017, 02:20:54 PM »

What did the Edge say?  Drowning Man, who's that by?

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Edge says SOE FINISHED
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »
so wealthy men in their 50s aren't allowed to express political views? that seems a bit arbitrary and illogical

if you don't like what they have to say that's fine but to tell them that they should shut up because of their age and wealth is absurd
It is indeed, but just look at how many people slag Bono on twitter or fb every time he talks about politics, saying he's just an old rich hypocrite
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:24:06 PM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2017, 02:25:32 PM »

What did the Edge say?  Drowning Man, who's that by?
The usual things that he says when he's asked: "we'll take it in consideration"

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2017, 02:27:34 PM »

well apparently if you're old in the UK then you'e to blame for leaving the EU.  Because you know, the people who actually know of life both with and without the EU shouldn't have an opinion.