Author Topic: Thanks but no Thanks  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Thanks but no Thanks
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 12:17:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Playing the 'entire' album changes my view of going. I want to see Bono sing Red Hill Mining Town! I'm in for a show or two in the Pacific Northwest!

Sing it or talk through it? Or maybe have big sing along karaoke style.

olimar

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »
I agree a lot with the above. One of the things that stuck out for me on From The Sky Down is how......not good Wild Horses and So Cruel sounded when the 20?? version of the band was playing them. The darkness and mystique of the originals, and what the 1991 version of U2 probably would have brought to them in a live setting, was lost on this current complacent and comfortable makeup of U2.

I feel the same will happen for those wanting to hear the darkness of Exit that was seen on R&H, or the 'screaming at the top of his lungs' that Bono brought to the recorded version of RHMT. I have zero doubt they will drop the key so far down it will not resemble the original, or play a quaint, quiet acoustic version of it.

Either way, I'm more interested in today's version of the band revisiting the spirit of the band that made Joshua Tree, not the actual songs. Put out an album without worrying about the relevance of it. Put out an odd sounding single in the midst of this EDM and pop music culture, like you did when With or Without You was released in the midst of hair metal and Color Me Badd-type groups in charge of the Top 40. 

I read a quote from Bono the other day, written after he had his bike accident. He was saying how it gave him the rare opportunity to be able to write at the point when youre usually at your creative best, but then you go on a tour (and it seems like recording an album and touring at the same time are probably a bit much now).
It strikes me that U2 have no problem playing live or putting on very good live shows, so if they have just about got to the finish line on SOE, then use that creative streak to continue to work in the studio. That way, maybe their next album after SOE wont be 5 years away. After all, they seem likely to roll off this tour and straight into another one next year.

If they really feel strongly that the Political Climate in the US completes some kind of circle with The Joshua Tree and they are somehow compelled to play it, then just integrate it into the the next tour. Thats pretty much only 6 tracks they need to find a gap for and they can play the whole thing.

Nothing about this feels much like a U2 decision and it goes against the grain of much of what they have been about, even recently. And I dont think they can do justice to a 30 year old album, or that they need to.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 02:29:34 PM »
a lot of discussion about the setlists and hearing songs that have never or rarely been played.  that is I suppose interesting but tbh while I like TJT record, at this point I am not sure I need or want to hear the 2017 version of U2 playing these songs.  Some of them?  Sure.  I am just skeptical as to how they will sound and not sure they can pull them off.  This is a band who could not even figure out how to play California or Volcano or Troubles for goodness sake.  Even EBW was an acoustic sleeper.  I'm trying to envision getting excited to hear IGC or TRYW or MOTD or Exit in a huge stadium, and I am not liking what I am seeing.

spot on Sly
Good point.  Highlighting the Joshua Tree brings attention to the fact that U2 are no longer the young men that recorded and toured behind that album.  Just like they were older in 2011 during the 360 Tour when they highlighted the anniversary of AB.  The lowers my enthusiasm a little.

I'm reading about hopes of hearing Acrobat, A Sort of Homecoming, Wire, ETC. There is one obvious reason why U2 do not play these songs and never will. They simply cannot deliver them properly anymore. Especially Bono's voice. And hearing the 2017 version of some of the tunes is not something I want to hear for that reason. I've mentioned that the SOI tour was a letdown for me because of drippy versions of EBW or the audience singing 3/4 of One, or the lackluster delivery of Streets, or crap delivery of WOWY, or "sleeper" acoustic versions of many great songs. And now to put all that in stadiums!!? No thanks. Doesn't tickle my fancy.  New record in arenas may be a different story.

exactly