Author Topic: Philly vs DC venues  (Read 1047 times)

Offline mill4023

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Philly vs DC venues
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:41:49 AM »
I live in Charlotte, NC, so it looks like my wife and I will be traveling again for this tour.  We went to New York for the I+E tour.
Looks like this time we will be headed up to either Philly or DC.
Any thoughts on which venue is better for a U2 show?
Lincoln Financial Field in Philly or FedEx Field in DC?
We won't be doing GA as my wife can't stand for a whole show.

Offline peggy2ten

• Stateless
Re: Philly vs DC venues
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 08:33:57 AM »
I've been to both and may try both again this time (coming from Georgia!).  Look at the seating charts on the TM site.  For DC, it looks like all of the behind the stage is blocked.  And, there are club seats between the floor and lower level seats.  In Philly, there is a decent hotel within walking distance of the stadium.  I haven't lived in DC for awhile, but don't recall any hotels close to FEDEX, but there is a metro.  It might be easier to get good seats for Philly since they're also playing in NY and lots of people like us - from the south - will be going to DC.  I've done RedZone before and that 's good if you don't want to stand all the time preshow.  May do that again if the tickets aren't too expensive.  I did GA for 360 at FEDEX - a complete mob scene.  Sorry if this doesn't help much - you may want to factor in distance and cost of hotels and see what works out better for you.  I have friends in DC area and family not far from Philly, so not doing hotels.

Offline spiriva21

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 08:39:58 AM »
I can only speak for Philly Venue, Lincoln Financial Field.  Stadium is great, not too big.  Always a great tailgate scene in the parking lots!!  The stadium is a few miles south of the city so not too many hotels near the venue within walking distance.  It's more a sports complex than anything else.  Xfinity Live is a place to go before and after the concert in the sports complex near the stadium to eat and drink, inside and outside seating available with a boardwalk theme.  There is a Marriott Courtyard in the Naval Yard which is a newer hotel and very close but not sure I would walk back from the concert without a group of people.  Center City is a better place to stay in my opinion unless you want directly next to the venue.  I've seen U2 all over North America and Philly shows are always solid but I prefer Boston concert venue.  However, my wife did meet Bruce 5 minutes before he joined U2 on stage in 2005 at Wells Fargo Center.  Hope this helps, It's going to be a great summer!!

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:47:38 AM »
I've heard that the stadium in D.C. (technically Landover, MD) is a bit of a hassle (I've never actually been), but Lincoln Financial is a great stadium with hotels around. It's also fairly easy to leave the lot following the show.

Offline mill4023

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 03:07:33 PM »
Thanks. Looks like the Sunday date of the Philly show will probably work better for me anyway.
I've been traveling to the Philly area almost every week for work for the last year. So if our customer wants me onsite that week, I'll be able to fly in a couple days early and just stay and work that week, so I won't have to pay for my own plane ticket. :)
And even if I fly home after the show, I'll be coming home Monday and only have to take 1 vacation day. Works better than DC on a Tuesday.

Offline ThatCrazyBeat

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »
Philly.  Go to Philly.  Better views, more intimate (for a stadium).  Less traffic.  Hotels nearby.  More involved crowds.