Poll

Should Track 1 from The Joshua Tree be the opening number on the upcoming shows.

Yes
27 (46.6%)
No
31 (53.4%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Joshua Tree Tour Shows Opener  (Read 1693 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Joshua Tree Tour Shows Opener
« on: January 09, 2017, 08:26:54 AM »
So - u2 are playing shows under the JT banner....simple question - should the shows in your view open up with the opening song from TJT, Where The Streets Have No Name?

Yes or No - and why!!

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: Joshua Tree Tour Shows Opener
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »
Yes, play it in order, start to finish. And THEN, play Streets again as a closer!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
Yes, yes a million times yes.

Streets has been "saved" for the end of the main set for what seems like eons by now.  And it's arguably THE definitive album opener in their catalog.  You know that moment in the R&H film where the screen glows red, and those synths come in, and the whole place goes electric?  That's the FIRST SONG of the concert that was being filmed.  Imagine that.  The lights go down, you're already going bonkers, and then those synths come in, and the screen lights up all red, for the extended version of that intro.

They do that, it will be one of the greatest concert experiences any one of us have had.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
I think they should start at Mothers and work towards Streets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think they should start at Mothers and work towards Streets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a sort of best song to worst song thing....i like it!

Offline truthsfate

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 08:39:14 AM »
Most definitely yes and IMHO it should start in the classic way. Long synth intro with RED backdrop.

So very excited for this!!!

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
I would suggest they do what The Tragically Hip did on their Fully Completely Anniversary Tour a few years ago. That album similarly opens with one of their biggest hits. They did five songs not from that album first, then did the album front to back, and then closed with another chunk of five songs from other albums.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »
What I think will happen (somewhat based on Edge's interview), is that TJT will be the 2nd set.  Whenever we hear Streets, we know the next 10 songs. 

It would be a bit anti-climatic to start with TJT in the first 11 songs then play whatever during the 2nd half.

I'm curious as to whether TJT will the be last 11 songs of the show or will be sandwiched in between 2 other groups of songs.  The 87 JTT ended with 40.  I'm pretty confident that TJT will not be the first 11 songs of the show.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:41:43 AM »
Yes, yes a million times yes.

Streets has been "saved" for the end of the main set for what seems like eons by now.  And it's arguably THE definitive album opener in their catalog.  You know that moment in the R&H film where the screen glows red, and those synths come in, and the whole place goes electric?  That's the FIRST SONG of the concert that was being filmed.  Imagine that.  The lights go down, you're already going bonkers, and then those synths come in, and the screen lights up all red, for the extended version of that intro.

They do that, it will be one of the greatest concert experiences any one of us have had.

This. I love having Streets later in the set but this would be very fitting as an opener on this tour (and what a killer opening it is!)

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 08:43:09 AM »
Personally I wouldn't like to see it, I'd rather them vary up the set and not play it in album order, they could even start with Mothers or even Exit, still think that would work to be honest

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 08:47:55 AM »
I think they'll segue something into the opening of Streets.  What about Please?  You know like "Please America, please get up off your knees, please vote for our friends, please."

Stand By Me would be a nice low key opener for a stadium show and is a nod to the past.  Personally I think they should open with Hawkmoon 269.

"40" must be the closer for the evening, surely?

I can also see Party Girl in the encore.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 09:03:06 AM »
I'd love to see the album be the first thing played in proper order, though if they save it for the second set I'd be fine with that too.

I think they'll segue something into the opening of Streets.  What about Please?  You know like "Please America, please get up off your knees, please vote for our friends, please."

Stand By Me would be a nice low key opener for a stadium show and is a nod to the past.  Personally I think they should open with Hawkmoon 269.

Maybe they'll change it to Hawkmoon 232, in honor of how many electoral votes Hillary got. ;)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 09:11:16 AM »
I'd love to see the album be the first thing played in proper order, though if they save it for the second set I'd be fine with that too.

Maybe they'll change it to Hawkmoon 232, in honor of how many electoral votes Hillary got. ;)

"She needs your love."

U2_One

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 09:38:33 AM »
Not sure. Might say no because it's still a big moment in the show when the right song leads into it, but might say yes because more recent tours haven't had that IMO. Could be a great opener (again), but could see why they might not go in that direction a bit more at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:49:48 AM by U2_One »

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »
Not sure. Might say no because it's still a big moment in the show when the right song leads into it, but might say yes because more recent tours haven't had that IMO.

I felt something was missing from the lead-in to Streets at my show in 2015.  It definitely wasn't a goosebump moment for me like it was at my Elevation show.  I think it was spoiled by Bono going on about welcoming more refugees in.