Poll

Should Track 1 from The Joshua Tree be the opening number on the upcoming shows.

Yes
27 (46.6%)
No
31 (53.4%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Joshua Tree Tour Shows Opener  (Read 1690 times)

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
Re: Joshua Tree Tour Shows Opener
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »
1. A Sort of a Homecoming
2. Surrender
3. Seconds
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday
5. The Refugee
6. Wire
7. Bad
8 - 18 STREETS/JT

19. Desire
20. New Year's Day
21. Please
22. Dancing Barefoot
23. Moment of Surrender
24. 40
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:58:57 AM by The Hair of Martin Gore »

U2_One

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 11:13:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Not sure. Might say no because it's still a big moment in the show when the right song leads into it, but might say yes because more recent tours haven't had that IMO.

I felt something was missing from the lead-in to Streets at my show in 2015.  It definitely wasn't a goosebump moment for me like it was at my Elevation show.  I think it was spoiled by Bono going on about welcoming more refugees in.

Didn't see it live, but Elevation had AIWIY and Bad/40, right? I liked those. I haven't enjoyed recent ones because they've been covers.

Offline padrepio

• Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 01:29:39 PM »
they should play the whole album in order..simple as that

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »
I wish they had not delayed SOE - Since SOE describes this time period, I would have preferred to see this tour mix songs from SOE with JT to tell a story.

However, if SOE is not available to them, Streets is the only logical opener.....

Offline padrepio

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 01:41:22 PM »
Yes, yes a million times yes.

Streets has been "saved" for the end of the main set for what seems like eons by now.  And it's arguably THE definitive album opener in their catalog.  You know that moment in the R&H film where the screen glows red, and those synths come in, and the whole place goes electric?  That's the FIRST SONG of the concert that was being filmed.  Imagine that.  The lights go down, you're already going bonkers, and then those synths come in, and the screen lights up all red, for the extended version of that intro.

They do that, it will be one of the greatest concert experiences any one of us have had.

agree with this

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »
I think they should start at Mothers and work towards Streets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Often, these album shows start with other songs. Everyone's there to see the album performed so a warm up/build up is needed.

I can appreciate this order. Mothers is hard to get up for, but in this way it will be the entry to something wonderful.

I can't imagine the show ending on Mothers.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:49:43 PM by jonnydeaf »

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »

Streets has been "saved" for the end of the main set for what seems like eons by now.  And it's arguably THE definitive album opener in their catalog.  You know that moment in the R&H film where the screen glows red, and those synths come in, and the whole place goes electric?  That's the FIRST SONG of the concert that was being filmed.  Imagine that.  The lights go down, you're already going bonkers, and then those synths come in, and the screen lights up all red, for the extended version of that intro.

They do that, it will be one of the greatest concert experiences any one of us have had.

Keep in mind the fact the shows in Europe will begin during daylight and any benefits of the light show will be lost on the crowd unless it's played later on in the evening.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »

Keep in mind the fact the shows in Europe will begin during daylight and any benefits of the light show will be lost on the crowd unless it's played later on in the evening.

Fair point, but I'm pretty sure the original tour started during daylight, too.  That epic R&H shot was still somewhat daylit, wasn't it?

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »

Fair point, but I'm pretty sure the original tour started during daylight, too.  That epic R&H shot was still somewhat daylit, wasn't it?

I think it will be a serious and decisive consideration for the band when putting together the set-list.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »

I think it will be a serious and decisive consideration for the band when putting together the set-list.

I don't disagree.  Just stating my opinion on why they should still do it.  Both PopMart and Zoo TV were stadium shows that started with astonishing visuals while the sky was still lit.  And Streets was used the same way in 1987.

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 02:18:27 PM »
If they start with Streets it will be bizarre to see it played in relative daylight. I imagine this is one of the reasons they are considering NOT opening with it.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »

I don't disagree.  Just stating my opinion on why they should still do it.  Both PopMart and Zoo TV were stadium shows that started with astonishing visuals while the sky was still lit.

It wouldn't have made any difference what song they'd opened with, the visuals would have been compromised.  But obviously Streets is a centrepiece of the show so they'll want maximum effect from the lightshow. 

And Streets was used the same way in 1987.

It was the logical opener for that tour.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 02:26:13 PM »
What I think will happen (somewhat based on Edge's interview), is that TJT will be the 2nd set.  Whenever we hear Streets, we know the next 10 songs. 

It would be a bit anti-climatic to start with TJT in the first 11 songs then play whatever during the 2nd half.

I'm curious as to whether TJT will the be last 11 songs of the show or will be sandwiched in between 2 other groups of songs.  The 87 JTT ended with 40.  I'm pretty confident that TJT will not be the first 11 songs of the show.

this

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 02:33:11 PM »
I would prefer a show that flowed better and possibly with the B sides mixed in. TJT had a strange running order. Because it's so front loaded with hits, a typical stadium crowd will go crazy for the first 20 mins and then settle down.

Plus I want to be surprised.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
I would prefer a show that flowed better. TJT had a strange running order. Because it's so front loaded with hits, a typical stadium crowd will go crazy for the first 20 mins and then settle down.

Plus I want to be surprised.

I agree.  TJT isn't exactly a concept like the Wall or DSOTM, it's just a collection of songs in an album which has been frontloaded with most of the best songs.  There's no reason why they couldn't mix up the songs to create a more flowing set-list for a concert.