Poll

Should Track 1 from The Joshua Tree be the opening number on the upcoming shows.

Yes
27 (46.6%)
No
31 (53.4%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Joshua Tree Tour Shows Opener  (Read 1695 times)

Spacejunk69

Re: Joshua Tree Tour Shows Opener
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »
No. Its crap and had its day as an opener. Stick it in the middle somewhere. Open with Acrobat, and have Streets follow Womanfish. Id be happy then.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »
I voted yes, if the band are in it to celebrate the album then they should walk on to the full intro of Streets, it sets the whole scene for the album despite it being overplayed.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I voted yes, if the band are in it to celebrate the album then they should walk on to the full intro of Streets, it sets the whole scene for the album despite it being overplayed.

The Edge has already intimated it won't be the opener.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 04:11:40 PM »
Yes, yes a million times yes.

Streets has been "saved" for the end of the main set for what seems like eons by now.  And it's arguably THE definitive album opener in their catalog.  You know that moment in the R&H film where the screen glows red, and those synths come in, and the whole place goes electric?  That's the FIRST SONG of the concert that was being filmed.  Imagine that.  The lights go down, you're already going bonkers, and then those synths come in, and the screen lights up all red, for the extended version of that intro.

They do that, it will be one of the greatest concert experiences any one of us have had.

Keep in mind the fact the shows in Europe will begin during daylight and any benefits of the light show will be lost on the crowd unless it's played later on in the evening.

Fair point, but I'm pretty sure the original tour started during daylight, too.  That epic R&H shot was still somewhat daylit, wasn't it?

I think it will be a serious and decisive consideration for the band when putting together the set-list.

I don't disagree.  Just stating my opinion on why they should still do it.  Both PopMart and Zoo TV were stadium shows that started with astonishing visuals while the sky was still lit.

It wouldn't have made any difference what song they'd opened with, the visuals would have been compromised.  But obviously Streets is a centrepiece of the show so they'll want maximum effect from the lightshow. 

And Streets was used the same way in 1987.

It was the logical opener for that tour.

Not sure if you're just being deliberately obtuse here, but you keep using statements meant to argue against my opinion that simultaneously support it.

It doesn't matter what they started with for Zoo TV and PopMart visually.....but it matters now?

Streets was the logical opener in 1987.....but it's not for the 30th anniversary tour?

I stand by my preference. You prefer something else. Got it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »
I would prefer a show that flowed better. TJT had a strange running order. Because it's so front loaded with hits, a typical stadium crowd will go crazy for the first 20 mins and then settle down.

Plus I want to be surprised.

I agree.  TJT isn't exactly a concept like the Wall or DSOTM, it's just a collection of songs in an album which has been frontloaded with most of the best songs.  There's no reason why they couldn't mix up the songs to create a more flowing set-list for a concert.

There's reason if their contract says it...which we don't really know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2017, 04:25:49 PM »
I would prefer a show that flowed better. TJT had a strange running order. Because it's so front loaded with hits, a typical stadium crowd will go crazy for the first 20 mins and then settle down.

I agree.  TJT isn't exactly a concept like the Wall or DSOTM, it's just a collection of songs in an album which has been frontloaded with most of the best songs.  There's no reason why they couldn't mix up the songs to create a more flowing set-list for a concert.

this is untrue.  according to Bono, "it's quite an opera"...  ;)

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2017, 04:33:38 PM »
Yes, yes a million times yes.

Streets has been "saved" for the end of the main set for what seems like eons by now.  And it's arguably THE definitive album opener in their catalog.  You know that moment in the R&H film where the screen glows red, and those synths come in, and the whole place goes electric?  That's the FIRST SONG of the concert that was being filmed.  Imagine that.  The lights go down, you're already going bonkers, and then those synths come in, and the screen lights up all red, for the extended version of that intro.

They do that, it will be one of the greatest concert experiences any one of us have had.

Keep in mind the fact the shows in Europe will begin during daylight and any benefits of the light show will be lost on the crowd unless it's played later on in the evening.

Fair point, but I'm pretty sure the original tour started during daylight, too.  That epic R&H shot was still somewhat daylit, wasn't it?

I think it will be a serious and decisive consideration for the band when putting together the set-list.

I don't disagree.  Just stating my opinion on why they should still do it.  Both PopMart and Zoo TV were stadium shows that started with astonishing visuals while the sky was still lit.

It wouldn't have made any difference what song they'd opened with, the visuals would have been compromised.  But obviously Streets is a centrepiece of the show so they'll want maximum effect from the lightshow. 

And Streets was used the same way in 1987.

It was the logical opener for that tour.

Not sure if you're just being deliberately obtuse here, but you keep using statements meant to argue against my opinion that simultaneously support it.

It doesn't matter what they started with for Zoo TV and PopMart visually.....but it matters now?

Well do we agree that these shows had to have an opener?  Do we agree that the visuals would have been somewhat compromised in the evening sun whatever that song would have been?  Did you notice it wasn't Streets - the centrepiece of a U2 show?

Streets was the logical opener in 1987.....but it's not for the 30th anniversary tour?

It was the opening track on the latest album in 1987.  The extended intro made it an obvious choice for an opener back then.  Streets hadn't yet grown into the legendary live centrepiece of a U2 show in 1987.  A live centrepiece and highlight for any millions of fans that can't be performed as the opening song (too anti-climactic) but has to be built up to during the show but which then offers a climactic and often cathartic communal experience - especially when it immediately follows some dark and dramatic song like Please or RTSS - utilizing a spectacular light show in full effect with house lights on. 

Or am I still being deliberately obtuse?

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 04:34:16 PM »

this is untrue.  according to Bono, "it's quite an opera"...  ;)

Well I guess that's better than a musical journey.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2017, 04:38:40 PM »
I'm expecting them to randomize the set list a bit and play the tracks in a different order.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »

Right.  They'll wait so the late comers won't miss the big hits of the first 3 songs from Joshua Tree.

I'm wondering if all of the rest of the before and after the JT songs will be 100% greatest hits or will there be some other rarities.
The Edge seemed to say that the 2nd half of JT would appease the uber fans who attend multiple shows and the rest of the set list would be for fans who are seeing them for the first time and hence would be all greatest hits.

I'd guess that maybe we'd get an occasional rarity like how they played Magnificent on the IE Tour or even an unreleased SOE song like how they tried out Every Breaking Wave on the 360 tour.  However, that will most likely be infrequent. 

No Dirty Day, No Gone, No Mofo, No Pop love... :(

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »
Not sure. Might say no because it's still a big moment in the show when the right song leads into it, but might say yes because more recent tours haven't had that IMO.

I felt something was missing from the lead-in to Streets at my show in 2015.  It definitely wasn't a goosebump moment for me like it was at my Elevation show.  I think it was spoiled by Bono going on about welcoming more refugees in.

Agree. It was party the Bono ranting and I felt like they shortened Edge's echoy intro. Pride was more of a goosebump moment than Streets was on the last tour.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »

^ This.  And it is too good of a song to "waste" as the opener.  I suggest TJS in the middle, with the second side of the record first, then the first side, perhaps with Streets to close it out instead of open it up.

(and I say "waste" not because it wasn't a good opener - it was amazing.  It has become the pinnacle of many shows, and so it would be hard to go back to having it first)

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »
I voted No; they should open with Bullet The Blue Sky. That song more than any other sums up the raw emotion of the Joshua Tree.  If they start the concerts with Bullet, that sets the tone for the rest of the show, which makes for a better performance.