Author Topic: Will U2 fill the stadiums?  (Read 2407 times)

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
Will U2 fill the stadiums?
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
Just curious peoples thoughts here.

I will say yes, based on the amount of people who messaged me this morning to tell me the news about the concerts... As if I wouldn't know.

I'm thinking it will bring back a lot of people that dropped off the band in the 30 years since.

+ The stadiums are not 360... so less tickets to sell.

But I've seen some people here doubt U2s ability to sell them out. Thoughts?

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Will U2 fill the stadiums?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
I truly don't see how people think this won't fill stadiums.

Do folks really think 360 did as well as it did because people were into the NLOTH songs?  Plus, it's been 10 years since they last did stadiums.  A big production based on their most popular album?  Of course they'll do well.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I truly don't see how people think this won't fill stadiums.

Do folks really think 360 did as well as it did because people were into the NLOTH songs?  Plus, it's been 10 years since they last did stadiums.  A big production based on their most popular album?  Of course they'll do well.

Yup. Nostalgia sells.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:31:37 AM »
Nostalgia sells....not many dates....lower capacities....For Twickenham you are looking at approx 55,000 whereas 360 Wembley to sell out was 80,000 plus.

Of course they will.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
I'm skeptical, but I guess we will know soon enough...

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 10:37:03 AM »
I think they'll sell out, or close to it.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
When an artist is playing stadiums they don't have to fill them to capacity to make a lot of money.  For example, in a stadium with a capacity of 55,000 there's no shame in selling 52,000 tickets for night one and 45,000 for the second night.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »
will be nearly 2 years since the arena tour here in uk for example which they sold around 100,000 tickets for in London alone (they played elsewhere in UK too).....this time they are only looking at 55,000 in London and London only with a nostalgia kick that will be heavily pushed and no other shows in UK.

It is very clear that sold out shows make the band look good too and create a buzz so there will be an element of making sure they haven't overreached with what they have planned so as to ensure sell out/associated buzz etc

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 10:55:47 AM »
I saw Guns N Roses at Heinz Field last summer, and they "only" sold about 39,000 of an available 42,000. The stadium holds something like 68,000, but capacity for concerts tends to be 55,000 or so (having seen sold out shows from both The Rolling Stones and U2 there in the past, that's what I remember seeing in regards to their ticket sales). Regardless, GnR still made between $3-4 million from ticket sales, not to mention merchandise.

So, while I do expect these dates to sell out, they could still more than make a pretty penny even if they were to sell only 80-90% of tickets. As nostalgia sells, and as the Joshua Tree is their most commercially successful album (over 25 million units sold worldwide, I believe), this is guaranteed to draw crowds and to have quite a bit of demand.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »
will be nearly 2 years since the arena tour here in uk for example which they sold around 100,000 tickets for in London alone (they played elsewhere in UK too).....this time they are only looking at 55,000 in London and London only with a nostalgia kick that will be heavily pushed and no other shows in UK.

It is very clear that sold out shows make the band look good too and create a buzz so there will be an element of making sure they haven't overreached with what they have planned so as to ensure sell out/associated buzz etc

Maybe that's why they didn't go with Wembley Stadium this year because of the fear of not selling all of the tickets.

Why Twickenham do you think? Olympic and Wembley seemed the front runners this time around, especially for a nostalgia type show.

Maybe they really was doubting they could sell out Wembley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
Adele has FOUR dates at Wembley the week before the London U2 TJT show.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 01:59:58 PM »

U2 were the future once.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »

U2 were the future once.

David Bowie and Prince were the future once, too. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 02:01:05 PM »

Maybe that's why they didn't go with Wembley Stadium this year because of the fear of not selling all of the tickets.

Why Twickenham do you think? Olympic and Wembley seemed the front runners this time around, especially for a nostalgia type show.

Maybe they really was doubting they could sell out Wembley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maybe poster underneath has nailed it...as far as an end stage set up goes i don't think there is a massive difference in capacities anyway....twickenham seats 82,000 wembley 90,000 before you knock off the seats that can't be used

Offline jono2u

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "i was born to sing for you"
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 02:01:28 PM »
They will sell out - short tour with good support acts promoting one of their masterpiece albums. Demand will be huge