Author Topic: Will U2 fill the stadiums?  (Read 2408 times)

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Will U2 fill the stadiums?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 02:19:48 PM »
They will sell out the shows announced but I imagine they are waiting to see how quickly/easily they sell out before considering further dates.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »
Plenty of media coverage here about these shows.....much more than for the last tour...nostalgia is always big news.

The coverage won't harm sales at all of course.

Pal of mine who is a very casual fan sent me a text earlier about it saying 'you were a bit of a u2 fan weren't you - would you fancy it, wanna go?'

He was a bit put out I think when I said no.

That kind of conversation has never taken place between us before for any u2 tour.....

Offline Zoomerang77

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 03:30:20 PM »
Agree with most comments here. U2 are a big show, so there's the "event-w****" set that will go despite not being fans, plus the whole JT thing opens the door to a set of former/transient fans now in their 40s/50s that were drawn in during the JT/Rattle & Hum epoch but who couldn't cope with the 1990s experimentation. I'd be surprised if these didn't sell out.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 03:34:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Plenty of media coverage here about these shows.....much more than for the last tour...nostalgia is always big news.

Pal of mine who is a very casual fan sent me a text earlier about it saying 'you were a bit of a u2 fan weren't you - would you fancy it, wanna go?'

That kind of conversation has never taken place between us before for any u2 tour.....

Glory hunters!

Offline cjscarboro1999

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 03:34:57 PM »
Does anyone have any thought if the 2nd day 'Wires' presale group will have access to the GA tickets in DC or will they be sold out that 1st presale day?

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 03:35:49 PM »
It will do better in some stops than others. Note that in some venues, they (wisely) are not selling the whole stadium, so sellout should carry an asterisks.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »

Glory hunters!

Treeites are gobshites!

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 03:37:10 PM »
I am a little skeptical with some dates (Pittsburgh and Cleveland, for instance, are rather close to each other), but I think they can pull it off. At least it's not a 360 tour.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
I am 100% certain they will sell out easily everywhere....but if they don't, so what - it does not matter does it.

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 05:16:02 PM »
Probably.  From the seating charts, ~2/3 of the stadium will go on sale.  The seats behind the stage appear to be out of commission this time around.  No 360.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »
Probably.  From the seating charts, ~2/3 of the stadium will go on sale.  The seats behind the stage appear to be out of commission this time around.  No 360.
This is why I think they will sell out, at least for the first night.  It is hard to see them selling out 2 nights, even at 2/3 capacity.  I'm not sure how many can fit on the floor in GA (8000, 12,000?), but for the Rose Bowl, 2 nights would be close to 160,000 tickets.  I was at the second night of the LA shows in late 1987, and it wasn't sold out - lots of seats high up in the back.  I can certainly see 1 night selling out, but I am having a harder time seeing the second night selling out.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »
nearly 100% sell outs.

other than my friends on this site, hardly anyone is interested in their new music.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »
nearly 100% sell outs.

other than my friends on this site, hardly anyone is interested in their new music.

I hope they sell every event out, I think after SOI this is a genius move by them, some may say its predictable but it's getting people out to see them again, it's getting the U2 name back into the big time again.

Imagine if SOE is a hit and tops charts and sells millions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline poodle

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 11:50:54 AM »
Sell out ? No problem. As someone said, the ones that think JT is their best album but didn't like the "new" stuff....will want to go. There will be lots of the older crowd in the stands....because they ALL know those songs.  The older people that listen to the radio & those stations that only play JT U2 songs.

I just hope they do a Achtung Baby tour !