Author Topic: Will we get a version of Bullet on the new tour similar to this?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Predictions?

Bono did use to sing "President Regan comes up to me..." during live Bullet performances in the 1980s.
approximately found at 30 minutes and 42 seconds

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
Re: Will we get a version of Bullet on the new tour similar to this?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:40:31 PM »

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Predictions?

Bono did use to sing "President Regan comes up to me..." during live Bullet performances in the 1980s.
approximately found at 30 minutes and 42 seconds

Not sure ... but the B man and Trump do have a couple of things in common.

They both love making money ... they both like avoiding taxes where possible.

M2 - hopefully this isn't construed a 'political statement'. Apologies if it is.  :)

Online georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »
Please, god no!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline playingtricksagain

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 06:54:29 PM »
I remember I almost had to have facial reconstructive surgery after all the cringing from watching that innocuous attempt to make Bono's (and I guess consequently the entire band's) personal political opinions. Not my thing. Music is supposed to bring people together, listening to an album is supposed to be a nice time to let yourself go by the music and not a freaking lecture on what some guy's (who's said both good and bad things throughout his career) views are about, SOE was supposed to be a daring album that doesn't just look back on their discography, but also brings something new to the table. Not this.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 06:55:15 PM »
I am sure they will do something not at all subtle with BTBS.

How about The Fly with Trump Tweets or portions of Trump tweets as the text/subliminal messages?  You know you can see them doing this.  I'm not saying that it wouldn't be cringe-worthy, but I could see them trying it.

Online georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 07:05:40 PM »
I am sure they will do something not at all subtle with BTBS.

How about The Fly with Trump Tweets or portions of Trump tweets as the text/subliminal messages?  You know you can see them doing this.  I'm not saying that it wouldn't be cringe-worthy, but I could see them trying it.

I can see the tweets on the big screen as we speak!

I think if they are going to include Trump in this tour, the best thing for the band to do is agree to disagree in a subtle manner. A little nod to the current situation will do just fine, but this is U2 at the end of he day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 08:18:40 PM »
I'm totally fine with them calling out whatever or whoever they want, in whatever way they want. They're artists and I do not expect them to cater to my political views. As long as they're also playing the songs, they can pretty much say whatever.

I wouldn't mind if they called Trump or whoever out when they do something stupid or wrong. The only people who get upset about this are those who are easily offended when someone disagrees with them politically. U2 have always been a political band, if that bothers you, just stay home from the concert. Don't expect the band to change who they are just because of your politics. You have the choice to not go to the concert if you disagree.

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:37:27 PM »
I'm totally fine with them calling out whatever or whoever they want, in whatever way they want. They're artists and I do not expect them to cater to my political views. As long as they're also playing the songs, they can pretty much say whatever.

I wouldn't mind if they called Trump or whoever out when they do something stupid or wrong. The only people who get upset about this are those who are easily offended when someone disagrees with them politically. U2 have always been a political band, if that bothers you, just stay home from the concert. Don't expect the band to change who they are just because of your politics. You have the choice to not go to the concert if you disagree.

Agree 100%.

Good thing Bono is thick-skinned. A lot of people look at him, see a money-hungry, tax avoiding, self-confessed megalomaniac, and wonder why he disses on people who display similar traits to him.

He's happy to leave himself open to derision and ridicule. What I find funny is how people try to defend him.

Waffles

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:39:01 PM »
I think we will actually. It affected SOE so it could play into the tour

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 08:42:07 PM »

The B man probably saw how Meryl came off so well after the Golden Globes. Wouldn't be surprised if he's thought, rather than release another album for free on iTunes, we'll based our new album and parts of the TJT tour on the same person. I'll "do a Streep".

U2 will be relevant again.  ;D

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »

The B man probably saw how Meryl came off so well after the Golden Globes. Wouldn't be surprised if he's thought, rather than release another album for free on iTunes, we'll based our new album and parts of the TJT tour on the same person. I'll "do a Streep".

Problem with this theory is that the tour was planned weeks ago, well before Streep's speech which everyone seems to be freaking out about.

I'm not going to begin to defend Bono's entrepreneurial nature or doing what so many businesses do (take advantage of tax loopholes) but I will say this: at least he gives back. At least he speaks out for those who have no voice (the poor, through his fundraising efforts with politicians he doesn't even like). At least he's trying to get rid of AIDS. At least he has reputable charities which aren't used as a front to game the system. At least he seems to be a pretty level headed guy who interacts with the fans well (I haven't heard any stories of him being a jerk to fans). I don't know about you, but given the choice between him and a celebrity who is totally selfish, I'll choose Bono because at least he has some redeeming qualities. Even if he says/does dumb things from time to time.

I know it's hard to believe, but not all celebrities are totally selfish, narcissistic jerks.  And when one happens to not be that, I have no issues with them calling out those who are totally selfish.

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 09:40:05 PM »

Problem with this theory is that the tour was planned weeks ago, well before Streep's speech which everyone seems to be freaking out about.

I'm not going to begin to defend Bono's entrepreneurial nature or doing what so many businesses do (take advantage of tax loopholes) but I will say this: at least he gives back. At least he speaks out for those who have no voice (the poor, through his fundraising efforts with politicians he doesn't even like). At least he's trying to get rid of AIDS. At least he has reputable charities which aren't used as a front to game the system. At least he seems to be a pretty level headed guy who interacts with the fans well (I haven't heard any stories of him being a jerk to fans). I don't know about you, but given the choice between him and a celebrity who is totally selfish, I'll choose Bono because at least he has some redeeming qualities. Even if he says/does dumb things from time to time.

I know it's hard to believe, but not all celebrities are totally selfish, narcissistic jerks.  And when one happens to not be that, I have no issues with them calling out those who are totally selfish.

Agree - my comment totally tongue in cheek :)

Offline playingtricksagain

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »

I don't think Bono's a bad guy, his work in Africa has been going on for decades. I just wish he kept those kinds of affairs to his personal life, rather than his profesional life (considering U2 has 4 members, not just him). He's a talented songwriter too. The poetic style and kind of spirituality he has reminds me a bit of Terrence Malick's style for films. Hell he even worked with Wim Wenders. Problem is when his personal life and his music get tangled up, the result isn't very good. He had it during the 80s, sure, but that was a different time, when U2 was pretty much the voice of a generation. Now back to the present, they no longer are. I'm in the young fans category, I'm only 21 but have been into them since I was 15, and as much respect as I have for the guy, I have no interest in hearing about politics when I'm listening to a song.

Their best work is behind them but I think I'd prefer a band who just did music for the sake and fun of getting to jam with old pals even after so many years. They don't need money, they don't need more fans, they don't need to be relevant, and they certainly don't need to school their audience (most of whom are over 40) in politics. It's not even raising awareness; everyone's up to date with what's been going on in the world thanks to news, the internet, newspapers, even on the damn Golden Globes. We just don't need any of that.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
I still haven't listened to this, and I don't think that I will.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 01:27:50 AM »

I think they indeed are going to do a U2 version of a Meryl.