Author Topic: Will we get a version of Bullet on the new tour similar to this?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline macky0104

• Babyface
Re: Will we get a version of Bullet on the new tour similar to this?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 08:30:35 AM »
I hope they do get more political as I really don't understand how so many current artists can write music without commenting on the world since the Financial Crisis in 2008 and all of the wars since Iraq/Afghanistan; mind boggling.

I'd also add from a selfish point  of view that political situation may actually energise the band and help them make better music.

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 09:12:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm not going to begin to defend Bono's entrepreneurial nature or doing what so many businesses do (take advantage of tax loopholes) but I will say this: at least he gives back. At least he speaks out for those who have no voice (the poor, through his fundraising efforts with politicians he doesn't even like). At least he's trying to get rid of AIDS. At least he has reputable charities which aren't used as a front to game the system. At least he seems to be a pretty level headed guy who interacts with the fans well (I haven't heard any stories of him being a jerk to fans). I don't know about you, but given the choice between him and a celebrity who is totally selfish, I'll choose Bono because at least he has some redeeming qualities. Even if he says/does dumb things from time to time.

I know it's hard to believe, but not all celebrities are totally selfish, narcissistic jerks.  And when one happens to not be that, I have no issues with them calling out those who are totally selfish.

I don't think Bono's a bad guy, his work in Africa has been going on for decades. I just wish he kept those kinds of affairs to his personal life, rather than his profesional life (considering U2 has 4 members, not just him). He's a talented songwriter too. The poetic style and kind of spirituality he has reminds me a bit of Terrence Malick's style for films. Hell he even worked with Wim Wenders. Problem is when his personal life and his music get tangled up, the result isn't very good. He had it during the 80s, sure, but that was a different time, when U2 was pretty much the voice of a generation. Now back to the present, they no longer are. I'm in the young fans category, I'm only 21 but have been into them since I was 15, and as much respect as I have for the guy, I have no interest in hearing about politics when I'm listening to a song.

Their best work is behind them but I think I'd prefer a band who just did music for the sake and fun of getting to jam with old pals even after so many years. They don't need money, they don't need more fans, they don't need to be relevant, and they certainly don't need to school their audience (most of whom are over 40) in politics. It's not even raising awareness; everyone's up to date with what's been going on in the world thanks to news, the internet, newspapers, even on the damn Golden Globes. We just don't need any of that.

if you don't want to hear about politics when listening to a song or going to a concert then U2 isn't the band for you. it's been a huge part of what they are for 33 years, and it's not going to change now. 

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 01:28:59 PM »
I want a new version of Bullet without the internal dialogue between Bono and his younger self.  A succinct Bullet, similar to the album version would be nice, possibly preceded by a JT tour Star Spangled Banner intro which then falters and collapses at the end as if to suggest that America and American democracy is broken because Bono and friends didn't like the 2016 result, which would then be followed by booing by sections of the crowd.  Inevitably this stage show will have large video screens and I expect Donald Trump to feature on them for some reason during this song. Theme-wise the bombing of Syria is topical.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 01:36:28 PM »
There are plenty of current topics that would fit Bullet perfectly. Why not do it on the rise of ISIS and radical terrorism around the world? That's something that has affected all of us in some way and it's an issue that all fans could get behind.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 01:40:18 PM »
There are plenty of current topics that would fit Bullet perfectly. Why not do it on the rise of ISIS and radical terrorism around the world? That's something that has affected all of us in some way and it's an issue that all fans could get behind.

That's not what U2 want their captive audience thinking about I would guess.

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »
Bono could make a statement by doing the exact same spoken word prose as it appears on TJT.

He could do a Michael Stipe and turn his back on the audience when he does it. Puts the emphasis on Edge's solo, and can be seen almost as a protest to USA.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »
I hope they do get more political as I really don't understand how so many current artists can write music without commenting on the world since the Financial Crisis in 2008 and all of the wars since Iraq/Afghanistan; mind boggling.

I'd also add from a selfish point  of view that political situation may actually energise the band and help them make better music.
I agree good stuff is coming

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 07:41:19 PM »
I'm not going to begin to defend Bono's entrepreneurial nature or doing what so many businesses do (take advantage of tax loopholes) but I will say this: at least he gives back. At least he speaks out for those who have no voice (the poor, through his fundraising efforts with politicians he doesn't even like). At least he's trying to get rid of AIDS. At least he has reputable charities which aren't used as a front to game the system. At least he seems to be a pretty level headed guy who interacts with the fans well (I haven't heard any stories of him being a jerk to fans). I don't know about you, but given the choice between him and a celebrity who is totally selfish, I'll choose Bono because at least he has some redeeming qualities. Even if he says/does dumb things from time to time.

I know it's hard to believe, but not all celebrities are totally selfish, narcissistic jerks.  And when one happens to not be that, I have no issues with them calling out those who are totally selfish.

I don't think Bono's a bad guy, his work in Africa has been going on for decades. I just wish he kept those kinds of affairs to his personal life, rather than his profesional life (considering U2 has 4 members, not just him). He's a talented songwriter too. The poetic style and kind of spirituality he has reminds me a bit of Terrence Malick's style for films. Hell he even worked with Wim Wenders. Problem is when his personal life and his music get tangled up, the result isn't very good. He had it during the 80s, sure, but that was a different time, when U2 was pretty much the voice of a generation. Now back to the present, they no longer are. I'm in the young fans category, I'm only 21 but have been into them since I was 15, and as much respect as I have for the guy, I have no interest in hearing about politics when I'm listening to a song.

Their best work is behind them but I think I'd prefer a band who just did music for the sake and fun of getting to jam with old pals even after so many years. They don't need money, they don't need more fans, they don't need to be relevant, and they certainly don't need to school their audience (most of whom are over 40) in politics. It's not even raising awareness; everyone's up to date with what's been going on in the world thanks to news, the internet, newspapers, even on the damn Golden Globes. We just don't need any of that.

if you don't want to hear about politics when listening to a song or going to a concert then U2 isn't the band for you. it's been a huge part of what they are for 33 years, and it's not going to change now.
that's what I'm screaming

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 11:08:43 PM »
While I personally hope not, and while I'm not a Trump supporter, I hope not for U2's sake.

They seem to live in a bubble where they don't realize how vast the number of people who disagree with their politics actually are. As they are playing many states that went for Trump in this election, both Pennsylvania and Ohio in particular, it would behoove them to not do so, imo.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 01:35:13 AM »
I bet he gets the handheld spotlight out and shines it on the Edge and the crowd like in ye days of olde.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:38:04 AM by John Galt »

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 06:39:14 PM »
While I personally hope not, and while I'm not a Trump supporter, I hope not for U2's sake.

They seem to live in a bubble where they don't realize how vast the number of people who disagree with their politics actually are. As they are playing many states that went for Trump in this election, both Pennsylvania and Ohio in particular, it would behoove them to not do so, imo.

Well according to The Edge and Adam's recent interviews, they probably will make it about Trump while on tour.

Adam:

Edge:

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 10:59:18 PM »
Since we've had to moderate this topic, let me remind everyone that straight political commentary is not accepted in this forum. When talking about U2 and politics, the burden is on you to make sure your post is about U2. Be sure to read this message for more about what's expected and what's not allowed:

We're actively banning forum members who choose not to abide by this rule. We're 100% serious about changing the atmosphere in this forum.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 06:02:40 AM »
Bono recently said on U2.com that "I opposed Trump while all the time understanding that many of the people who support him are the kind of people I grew up with, and can see myself in to this day. In my head at least the election result demanded I ask myself several questions:

Am I missing something here?
Am I out of touch with American values?
Am I out of touch with the American people?"

and

"This is a tour for red and blue, the coast and the heartland ... because music can pull people together as surely as politics can pull people apart."

source:

So, perhaps we won't get such a visceral version of Bullet and more of a tour that isn't against anyone, but for healing the divide between both sides of the aisle.

Bono added, "I would like to think that everyone who loves their country would feel welcome at a U2 show, however differently they love it. And I think a little humility might be important for me here."  He and the band's comments about Trump in the last year may have driven some U2 fans away (as probably all their political comments over the years).

Do you think after Bono's recent comments on U2.com that he'll be holding back on Trump?

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2017, 06:08:22 AM »
Bono recently said on U2.com that "I opposed Trump while all the time understanding that many of the people who support him are the kind of people I grew up with, and can see myself in to this day. In my head at least the election result demanded I ask myself several questions:

Am I missing something here?
Am I out of touch with American values?
Am I out of touch with the American people?"

and

"This is a tour for red and blue, the coast and the heartland ... because music can pull people together as surely as politics can pull people apart."

source:

So, perhaps we won't get such a visceral version of Bullet and more of a tour that isn't against anyone, but for healing the divide between both sides of the aisle.

Bono added, "I would like to think that everyone who loves their country would feel welcome at a U2 show, however differently they love it. And I think a little humility might be important for me here."  He and the band's comments about Trump in the last year may have driven some U2 fans away (as probably all their political comments over the years).

Do you think after Bono's recent comments on U2.com that he'll be holding back on Trump?
Yeah, my thoughts were about the same. The world is devided, and it's not the time to kick against. It's so ever the time to just bring people a smile on their face and make em all feel they are at this great show.