Author Topic: 3 Strikes and You're Out?  (Read 3698 times)

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
3 Strikes and You're Out?
« on: January 10, 2017, 02:34:26 AM »
Bono has many times mentioned the whole 3 strike rule. 3 "dud" albums in a row and they're out. With the apparent delay of SOE....which as we all know, could be a permanent delay (Songs of Ascent people?!), are we seeing the out game going into operation?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think U2 have made a "dud" yet. HTDAAB is as close to a dud IMO, but still a more good than bad. But what do they consider a dud? Something that doesn't grasp the public's attention, fails to deliver commercially, and gets some critical backlash.

It can be argued that all 3 of the last albums fall into those categories. The last hit album was clearly ATYCLB, and the last hit song Vertigo. Have they stepped back from albums as a result of the muted response to SOI? None of the songs got close to breaking through on the radio for regular play. None are anywhere near a hit. Again, IMO, it's the best they've done since Pop. But in the wider scheme of things, it's clearly not been a great success.

Have they, internally, decided that it failed, and so are rethinking everything going forward? Give us this tour, perhaps a similar one for Achtung Baby, and maybe 1 last "goodbye" big record before they cease to attack the big albums anymore?

I'm delighted about the prospect of the Joshua Tree tour. It is a seismic change of direction though for a band who claim to be allergic to nostalgia. Are we witnessing the start of the end? Maybe they'll pull an REM next year and walk away as a band.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: 3 Strikes and You're Out?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 06:09:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bono has many times mentioned the whole 3 strike rule. 3 "dud" albums in a row and they're out. With the apparent delay of SOE....which as we all know, could be a permanent delay (Songs of Ascent people?!), are we seeing the out game going into operation?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think U2 have made a "dud" yet. HTDAAB is as close to a dud IMO, but still a more good than bad. But what do they consider a dud? Something that doesn't grasp the public's attention, fails to deliver commercially, and gets some critical backlash.

It can be argued that all 3 of the last albums fall into those categories. The last hit album was clearly ATYCLB, and the last hit song Vertigo. Have they stepped back from albums as a result of the muted response to SOI? None of the songs got close to breaking through on the radio for regular play. None are anywhere near a hit. Again, IMO, it's the best they've done since Pop. But in the wider scheme of things, it's clearly not been a great success.

Have they, internally, decided that it failed, and so are rethinking everything going forward? Give us this tour, perhaps a similar one for Achtung Baby, and maybe 1 last "goodbye" big record before they cease to attack the big albums anymore?

I'm delighted about the prospect of the Joshua Tree tour. It is a seismic change of direction though for a band who claim to be allergic to nostalgia. Are we witnessing the start of the end? Maybe they'll pull an REM next year and walk away as a band.

It's an interesting topic. Certainly SOI and NLOH haven't been anywhere near good enough from a U2 standpoint in terms of commercial success etc. I would like to think they are putting a big effort into this record and making it a success, if they do end up having a radio hit, people will be saying what was all the fuss about.

I don't think they'd walk away either, or at least I hope not. Touring is like their drug and they love it. Let's wait and see with the release of SOE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 06:49:53 AM »
is Bono talking about artistic or commercial duds? I've always thought it was an artistic judgement, but George's mention of commercial success made me realize that I'm probably wrong.

Pop - not as commercially successful as they'd have liked and they're not happy with the finished product
ATYCLB - they love it
HTAAD - commercially successful but haven't they soured on it?
NLOTH - commercially disappointing, critically unloved, and they think it could have been better
SOI - no way to determine commercial success but the release was the low point of their career, and it's their worst reviewed album. the tour probably didn't sell as quickly as they'd have liked.

A case could be made that their last 20 years, with one exception, have been a dud.  Until recently the commercial success there but they're not happy with their last three albums as pieces of art.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »
Clearly the decision to tour the Joshua tree is designed to renew interest from the older demographic again, the ones who probably still buy albums in a format you can hold.

Not us. We never left. But the ones who did leave. Release some member-berries and then release u2-the force awakens full of references to a time when were hugely popular in the genpop

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 06:59:01 AM »
^ haha! Damn south park is to blame!! I member!

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 09:49:33 AM »
I think commercial success is something they focus on when they release a new record. Without that then they wouldn't have the hits such as BD Vertigo etc. I guess at this stage it depends how much they want to dabble with dance music to remain relevant. They should just release an album they want to release and it will probably sell very well.

That being said I still would like to see a release of "The Best Thing" but something tells me it might not see a release and may just be a Kygo remix with a different version being on SOE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 10:00:10 AM »
Didn't SOI sell 4 million copies worldwide?

I'd love to put out an album that failed like that.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 10:47:40 AM »
No Line was a dud.  SOI was a creative high point for the band.  Can't bring record sales into the equation for SOI because the band basically took the album out of the sales game when they gave it away for a lump sum of money from apple.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 11:03:40 AM »
To me, U2 have only ever released one bad album. HTDAAB is really unlistenable to me, its awful - the only song worth listening to is a full on live Vertigo (from the Vertigo Tour) - and that's debatable.

ATYCLB - my second least favorite, but WAY better than Bomb.

NLOTH - If it wasn't for Magnificent, Boots, Crazy and SUC - this album would be very enjoyable to me. If they had put the linear version of Winter on it, and Soon, then this would be a really good album. It has U2's best song (Cedars) since Pop.

SOI is OK - nothing special. Certainly not a creative high point by a LONG way, but its better than Bomb.

They are not done yet, but there is an awful lot riding on SOE, if it ever comes out.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 11:16:12 AM »

In U2 terms that's a failure. The album simply didn't catch the public's attention. It didn't spawn a single hit.

I just have a feeling that internally they're unhappy with how it did.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »

In U2 terms that's a failure. The album simply didn't catch the public's attention. It didn't spawn a single hit.

I just have a feeling that internally they're unhappy with how it did.

Well, they also gave it away for free.  I'm impressed 4 million people cared enough to still buy it anyway.  It's not to say it was a rousing success, but I'm not sure how you can even gauge that outside of how well the singles or tour did.  The singles didn't exactly set the world on fire, but neither did NLOTH's.  I don't know what the consensus is on the tour's success.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 11:45:03 AM »
Oh I know, I'm just looking at the album as a whole. U2 thrive on hits and being relevant by being in people's consciousness. I think SOI failed in that respect.

They were desperate for a hit, EBW was played everywhere, and they pretty much rereleased it stripped back. It just simply didn't catch on.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 12:02:39 PM »
is Bono talking about artistic or commercial duds? I've always thought it was an artistic judgement, but George's mention of commercial success made me realize that I'm probably wrong.

Pop - not as commercially successful as they'd have liked and they're not happy with the finished product
ATYCLB - they love it
HTAAD - commercially successful but haven't they soured on it?
NLOTH - commercially disappointing, critically unloved, and they think it could have been better
SOI - no way to determine commercial success but the release was the low point of their career, and it's their worst reviewed album. the tour probably didn't sell as quickly as they'd have liked.

A case could be made that their last 20 years, with one exception, have been a dud.  Until recently the commercial success there but they're not happy with their last three albums as pieces of art.

No Line and SOI got reviewed well. In general. Certainly No Line did.

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »
They are U2's two worst reviewed albums since October with Metacritic rankings of 72 (NLOTH) and 64 (SOI). Bomb and ATYLB both have 79.  72 is bad, but 64 is terrible. 

On Rate Your Music, SOI has 2.48 and NLOTH has 2.78. Those aren't critical reviews, that's from music fans.  Those albums are reviled.  Bomb has a rating of 2.82. The last three albums are not loved, and two were demonstrably commercial and critical duds.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »
They are U2's two worst reviewed albums since October with Metacritic rankings of 72 (NLOTH) and 64 (SOI). Bomb and ATYLB both have 79.  72 is bad, but 64 is terrible. 

On Rate Your Music, SOI has 2.48 and NLOTH has 2.78. Those aren't critical reviews, that's from music fans.  Those albums are reviled.  Bomb has a rating of 2.82. The last three albums are not loved, and two were demonstrably commercial and critical duds.

I don't take any notice of other peoples ratings and scores. They are absolutely no reflection on the standard of the music. I listen, form my own opinions, like what I like and don't like what I don't like. End of.