Author Topic: 3 Strikes and You're Out?  (Read 3699 times)

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: 3 Strikes and You're Out?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 01:21:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They are U2's two worst reviewed albums since October with Metacritic rankings of 72 (NLOTH) and 64 (SOI). Bomb and ATYLB both have 79.  72 is bad, but 64 is terrible. 

On Rate Your Music, SOI has 2.48 and NLOTH has 2.78. Those aren't critical reviews, that's from music fans.  Those albums are reviled.  Bomb has a rating of 2.82. The last three albums are not loved, and two were demonstrably commercial and critical duds.

I don't take any notice of other peoples ratings and scores. They are absolutely no reflection on the standard of the music. I listen, form my own opinions, like what I like and don't like what I don't like. End of.

That's not the point though. U2 do take notice. And after the dust settled, it's another "fail" with SOI.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »
They are U2's two worst reviewed albums since October with Metacritic rankings of 72 (NLOTH) and 64 (SOI). Bomb and ATYLB both have 79.  72 is bad, but 64 is terrible. 

On Rate Your Music, SOI has 2.48 and NLOTH has 2.78. Those aren't critical reviews, that's from music fans.  Those albums are reviled.  Bomb has a rating of 2.82. The last three albums are not loved, and two were demonstrably commercial and critical duds.

I don't take any notice of other peoples ratings and scores. They are absolutely no reflection on the standard of the music. I listen, form my own opinions, like what I like and don't like what I don't like. End of.

That's not the point though. U2 do take notice. And after the dust settled, it's another "fail" with SOI.

If U2 deem them failures and call it quits - then I don't care. Its their decision and Ill support them in that decision. They owe us nothing, especially another album this year.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 02:00:15 PM »

If U2 deem them failures and call it quits - then I don't care. Its their decision and Ill support them in that decision. They owe us nothing, especially another album this year.
I totally agree with your sentiment, I would normally say they don't owe us anything at this point but... they've been continually PROMISING us SOE to keep pulling it away.  I'm a bit perturbed with waiting at this point.  They owe me this album sooner than later  ;D

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »

Again.....nobody is having a go, or "not supporting" them on this completely speculation based theory. Nobody is saying they owe us anything. No need to get so defensive. I am not saying they should be releasing a new album. I think you're in the wrong thread.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 02:01:05 PM »
Bono has actually usually said TWO albums

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
Going by the reactions of hardcore fans following their last four album releases one could understand the band feeling a little unloved.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 02:15:43 PM »
I hate to be glass is half empty, but with respect to SOE: how good could the material have been if they decided to put the album on the back burner because of a US election?

Now you could say their excuse is nothing but BS, and it probably is.  However it also probably masks a more unsettling reality- the songs were utter crap and the 'Trump' issue was a convenient excuse to not release it. 

Sorry but all this does not bode well.  Junk the long-promised follow-up album for a ridiculous reason, then embark on a nostalgia tour?

I hate to say it but part of me wants to see them learn a lesson on this venture.  Then again, part of me also wants to see the shows (I am still on the fence). 

These are troubling times in many ways. 

Offline a very competitive pony!

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »
Going by the reactions of hardcore fans following their last four album releases one could understand the band feeling a little unloved.
I think that's part of the problem. Hardcore fans--particularly the u2 kind--tend to spend all of their time reading and analyzing everything that the band says and does, instead of just enjoying the process and the music that eventually comes out of it. This needless and often times excessive detective work that comes with fandom just puts people in bad moods.

Offline playingtricksagain

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 03:37:29 PM »
Maybe SoI was average, but still leaning a bit towards the "good" side. Namely:

Every Waking Wave
(maybe) California
Volcano
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
The Troubles
Lucifer's Hands
The Crystal Ballroom

The only ones I truly can't get through are Miracle, Song for Someone and Raised by Wolves (Bono's vocals in the chorus are so high pitched he could be a chipmunk).

So yeah, average, not really a flop. I think even a step in the right direction versus atrocities like HTDAAB. I just wish they'd release SoE without the tinkering already.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »
I hate to say it but part of me wants to see them learn a lesson on this venture.  Then again, part of me also wants to see the shows (I am still on the fence). 

Well what's putting you on the fence regarding going to see the shows?  For me it's stadiums, that's easily answered.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 03:50:28 PM »

Well what's putting you on the fence regarding going to see the shows?  For me it's stadiums, that's easily answered.
I'm afraid it they 'learn their lesson' they might just call it quits as opposed to put out new mediocre (in their view) material.

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 05:03:34 PM »

same, but Bono's "duds" obsession is purely based on other people's opinions.  the consensus, if you will

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »

On top of that, can we really determine an album or song's worth after a few listens? Sometimes you can, but how many cases have there been of us coming back to songs and liking them all of a sudden a vice versa.

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • Don't mind me... just some cool guy.
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 06:32:40 PM »
I think that's part of the problem. Hardcore fans--particularly the u2 kind--tend to spend all of their time reading and analyzing everything that the band says and does, instead of just enjoying the process and the music that eventually comes out of it. This needless and often times excessive detective work that comes with fandom just puts people in bad moods.
Couldn't have said it better. This is exactly how I feel.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 06:34:20 PM »
Rolling Stone rated NLOTH very highly. 5/5 if I remember correctly.