Author Topic: 3 Strikes and You're Out?  (Read 3700 times)

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
Re: 3 Strikes and You're Out?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Rolling Stone rated NLOTH very highly. 5/5 if I remember correctly.

But it's Rolling Stone.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 07:01:54 PM »
I hate to say it but part of me wants to see them learn a lesson on this venture.  Then again, part of me also wants to see the shows (I am still on the fence). 

These are troubling times in many ways.

Well what's putting you on the fence regarding going to see the shows?  For me it's stadiums, that's easily answered.

Not necessarily in the order of importance:
1. Not really wanting to see the band try to time travel back to a place they can never visit again - and doing half assed versions of some of these magnificent songs.  I fear they are going to be weak and sound terrible.  Even Streets and WOWY which they play every show have become shadows of their former selves.

2. Not really feeling the need to hear the same old hits on top of the JT set.  I have been to multiple nights of each of the last tours and while I never had a bad experience, I have to admit that in hindsight the band just are nowhere near where they once were.

3. Stadiums - not a complete deal breaker but certainly an arena tour would be more interesting for me. 

4. Related to stadiums - I have a feeling these shows are going to be even more casual-fan heavy than normal.  Judging by the number of folks who contacted me about going (never seen U2 before, not really into them but what the heck this may be the last time, etc etc) I think the shows will be a very mixed bag at best in terms of atmosphere.  We'll get people standing up for Streets, Pride and then sitting and staring or on the camera phone the rest of the time.  Again, not a huge deal but it's one factor...

5. If the last few anti-Trump-themed sets are anything to go by, and on top of Edge's commentary about the 'political climate' I really just don't need to give them my money for a lecture about the politics of my country.  I am not a Trump supporter by any stretch of the imagination, but regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the band's worldview, I don't need it in a concert.

Now having said all that - I have been a fan for 30+ years.  I am curious to see how they pull these shows off.  And they are playing a show less than 20 miles from my house.  So they are making it pretty easy for me to change my mind.  I will take a look if any seats are available in a month or so, and at what prices (secondary markets as well) and then make up my mind.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 07:04:29 PM »
Rolling Stone has always ridden U2's d**k.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 07:27:21 PM »
Well, I don't remember the name of the critic, but the point is a music critic rated it very highly.  So not everyone didn't "get" NLOTH.

Offline playingtricksagain

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
I just hope Bono doesn't pull off a "Thank you Blackberry" during the last part of WOWY like he did on 360. That was... ugh.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 07:42:57 PM »
I just hope Bono doesn't pull off a "Thank you Blackberry" during the last part of WOWY like he did on 360. That was... ugh.

Save that cringe for the "this is a song Robert John Bardo stole from U2, now we're stealing it back" intro to Exit.

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 07:45:05 PM »
Well, I don't remember the name of the critic, but the point is a music critic rated it very highly.  So not everyone didn't "get" NLOTH.

nobody said NLOTH was entirely unappreciated but ratings by critics AND music lovers (as shown by metacritic and RYM) illustrate that at the time it was their least loved album

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 07:52:01 PM »
Re. NLOTH:  I love this red-headed stepchild of an album.  ;D

Offline playingtricksagain

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 07:52:28 PM »

Save that cringe for the "this is a song Robert John Bardo stole from U2, now we're stealing it back" intro to Exit.

lol

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 07:54:57 PM »

That sort of makes the point that reviewers are meaningless in a fan-driven music age. And unless I'm mistaken, U2 has one of the largest fan bases in the whole world. They just aren't under the age of 30 like younger bands.

Waffles

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 08:03:08 PM »

That sort of makes the point that reviewers are meaningless in a fan-driven music age. And unless I'm mistaken, U2 has one of the largest fan bases in the whole world. They just aren't under the age of 30 like younger bands.

I love SOI but for them to call it album of the year is over the top

Waffles

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 08:09:58 PM »
I hate to say it but part of me wants to see them learn a lesson on this venture.  Then again, part of me also wants to see the shows (I am still on the fence). 

These are troubling times in many ways.

Well what's putting you on the fence regarding going to see the shows?  For me it's stadiums, that's easily answered.

Not necessarily in the order of importance:
1. Not really wanting to see the band try to time travel back to a place they can never visit again - and doing half assed versions of some of these magnificent songs.  I fear they are going to be weak and sound terrible.  Even Streets and WOWY which they play every show have become shadows of their former selves.

2. Not really feeling the need to hear the same old hits on top of the JT set.  I have been to multiple nights of each of the last tours and while I never had a bad experience, I have to admit that in hindsight the band just are nowhere near where they once were.

3. Stadiums - not a complete deal breaker but certainly an arena tour would be more interesting for me. 

4. Related to stadiums - I have a feeling these shows are going to be even more casual-fan heavy than normal.  Judging by the number of folks who contacted me about going (never seen U2 before, not really into them but what the heck this may be the last time, etc etc) I think the shows will be a very mixed bag at best in terms of atmosphere.  We'll get people standing up for Streets, Pride and then sitting and staring or on the camera phone the rest of the time.  Again, not a huge deal but it's one factor...

5. If the last few anti-Trump-themed sets are anything to go by, and on top of Edge's commentary about the 'political climate' I really just don't need to give them my money for a lecture about the politics of my country.  I am not a Trump supporter by any stretch of the imagination, but regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the band's worldview, I don't need it in a concert.

Now having said all that - I have been a fan for 30+ years.  I am curious to see how they pull these shows off.  And they are playing a show less than 20 miles from my house.  So they are making it pretty easy for me to change my mind.  I will take a look if any seats are available in a month or so, and at what prices (secondary markets as well) and then make up my mind.

Agree about the casual fan attendance. Still a little weary how well arena shows will sell 2018

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 11:03:46 PM »
I think that it bears worth saying that the NLOTH sales were likely far better than the band realizes. Why? Because digital sales weren't yet counted in the total sales tally. Look at the timeline of things: with Vertigo, they literally helped usher in the digital music age, as the song was featured on an iPod commercial. By the time that NLOTH came out, buying music digitally was already a thing, by way of both iTunes and Amazon. If I remember right, it wasn't until after the  360 tour culminated that the certification boards decided to finally (and logically) count digital sales.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2017, 03:53:08 AM »
SOI is not a dud by any means. They have been writing great songs again on this one and it sold well, too.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2017, 04:21:45 AM »
SOI is not a dud by any means. They have been writing great songs again on this one and it sold well, too.

But it had no hits. And as pointed out by others, had many poor reviews. It also didn't "take off" live. In general I love it, but I can see in the broader sense it might be considered a dud in U2 terms. You're forgetting how self critical they are.