Author Topic: 3 Strikes and You're Out?  (Read 3702 times)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
Re: 3 Strikes and You're Out?
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Cedars is U2's best song post-Pop. It is at least up there with SLABT, Stateless, Never Let Me Go, etc.

Agreed.....cedars is a fantastic song.....different - a marked step away from formulaic pop rock and for me where u2 excel and can still show brilliance.

it is different for U2 but also represents much of what was terrible on that album.  Pretentious, self serious, trying way too hard to be different for the sake of being different.   

If they want to go esoteric I'm all for it.  Give me the likes of Your Blue Room or Slug any day. 

I just fell asleep thinking about Cedars again...

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2017, 12:18:43 PM »
Cedars is U2's best song post-Pop. It is at least up there with SLABT, Stateless, Never Let Me Go, etc.

Agreed.....cedars is a fantastic song.....different - a marked step away from formulaic pop rock and for me where u2 excel and can still show brilliance.
Totally, a huge departure from their 2000's sound.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2017, 01:58:46 PM »
it is different for U2 but also represents much of what was terrible on that album.  Pretentious, self serious, trying way too hard to be different for the sake of being different.   

If they want to go esoteric I'm all for it.  Give me the likes of Your Blue Room or Slug any day. 

More or less my view. I'm all for different if it's an good, but you need an actual tune underneath it too. Last time I checked, I liked the band for actual music, not hipster street cred just because it lacked a guitar or a vocal melody (i.e., Cedars). Lyrics are only so much of the battle.

To each their own though, obviously...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2017, 03:41:26 PM »

each to their own and all that but give me cedars over vapid nonsense like stand up comedy or cringeworthy attempts at pop music like crazy tonight...

but different strokes and all that.

personally i find cedars, clever, understated but layered, thought provoking and evocative - now that is the u2 i love

Offline JonD

• Stateless
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2017, 05:38:20 PM »

each to their own and all that but give me cedars over vapid nonsense like stand up comedy or cringeworthy attempts at pop music like crazy tonight...

but different strokes and all that.

personally i find cedars, clever, understated but layered, thought provoking and evocative - now that is the u2 i love

I agree with your assessment of Cedars and Crazy.  Love the song too (with Fez). However, I must say I still enjoy SUC- different strokes indeed.