Author Topic: London tickets  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: London tickets
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think we talked on here before O2. Seem to remember you were from the south west? I guess the queue might get longer earlier with it being Saturday. Will look out for you on the rail.

I'm from Dorset - sometimes counted as south-west!

The queues are hard to predict. It's changed a lot since the last time I queued at Twickenham!

Were you at the Vertigo shows there?  I went one night and it was very sunny and hot.  I recall the local Tesco sold out of ice and cold drinks.  It was mid-summer so much of the show was performed in daylight.

Yes, I did both of the Vertigo shows. The heat was awful but the venue staff looked after us very well!

Offline miketighe

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 01:06:10 PM »
I'm excited - the gigs the day before my 29th birthday

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 01:16:05 PM »
I think we talked on here before O2. Seem to remember you were from the south west? I guess the queue might get longer earlier with it being Saturday. Will look out for you on the rail.

The queues are hard to predict. It's changed a lot since the last time I queued at Twickenham!

Were you at the Vertigo shows there?  I went one night and it was very sunny and hot.  I recall the local Tesco sold out of ice and cold drinks.  It was mid-summer so much of the show was performed in daylight.

Yes, I did both of the Vertigo shows. The heat was awful but the venue staff looked after us very well!

Oh yes THAT night. I went June 19th. Tricky to get north of London from Twickenham in a hurry so ended up missing the train and wondering the streets of central London and looking for night cafes until morning. Incredibly hot and it seemed to sap the energy of the band somewhat.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »

Oh yes THAT night. I went June 19th. Tricky to get north of London from Twickenham in a hurry so ended up missing the train and wondering the streets of central London and looking for night cafes until morning. Incredibly hot and it seemed to sap the energy of the band somewhat.

My friend refused a lift after the gig and insisted on getting the train back to London.  So I went home and exhausted after a long hot day was just about to jump into bed when she calls up to say she's stranded at Waterloo as the tubes have stopped running and could I come and give her a lift...

It wasn't one of the best U2 shows I've seen - the fact it was daylight for much of the show didn't help either.   I think both the band and the crowd were affected by the heat.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2017, 02:19:22 PM »

My friend refused a lift after the gig and insisted on getting the train back to London.  So I went home and exhausted after a long hot day was just about to jump into bed when she calls up to say she's stranded at Waterloo as the tubes have stopped running and could I come and give her a lift...

It wasn't one of the best U2 shows I've seen - the fact it was daylight for much of the show didn't help either.   I think both the band and the crowd were affected by the heat.

Can't believe you guys thought the show wasn't that good! Amazing night, the best of my life without a doubt, and the energy was incredible despite the heat.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »

Can't believe you guys thought the show wasn't that good! Amazing night, the best of my life without a doubt, and the energy was incredible despite the heat.

I think I was preoccupied with all my friends that day, trying to make sure everyone was enjoying it.  I recall it was Father's Day and it was touching when Bono took that "Best Dad" balloon off the boy and released it - I think he did that after "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"? 

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it! It remains easily the weakest of the U2 gigs I've seen. But not helped by me having a seat on the extreme left of the stage. And the crowd being very uninvolved. I have always got GA close to the action since.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 02:57:30 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it! It remains easily the weakest of the U2 gigs I've seen. But not helped by me having a seat on the extreme left of the stage. And the crowd being very uninvolved. I have always got GA close to the action since.

Ah, my worst show (on the Elevation Tour) was also one where I had crappy seats and no-one around me was excited. I was on the B-stage rail for Twickers and the crowd were plenty involved there - I had strangers humping me and grabbing my sunburnt shoulders for most of the gig. :P

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2017, 03:32:02 PM »

I had strangers humping me and grabbing my sunburnt shoulders for most of the gig. :P

I'm gonna have to go for the rail this summer as it's clearly where all the action is.

Elevation Tour was okay for me - I was in the heart so felt quite involved - but somewhat inferior to Popmart before it.  The one thing Elevation had going for it was it was based in an arena, but there wasn't much of a theme to it all, unlike Popmart.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2017, 03:38:22 PM »

I had strangers humping me and grabbing my sunburnt shoulders for most of the gig. :P

I'm gonna have to go for the rail this summer as it's clearly where all the action is.

Elevation Tour was okay for me - I was in the heart so felt quite involved - but somewhat inferior to Popmart before it.  The one thing Elevation had going for it was it was based in an arena, but there wasn't much of a theme to it all, unlike Popmart.

I really wish I had become a U2 fan a year or two earlier so I could have seen PopMart! That's the kind of show I was hoping for, so Elevation was a pretty major letdown for me. And I was very envious of the people in the heart, it looked much more fun down there. :(

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2017, 04:13:28 PM »

I really wish I had become a U2 fan a year or two earlier so I could have seen PopMart! That's the kind of show I was hoping for, so Elevation was a pretty major letdown for me. And I was very envious of the people in the heart, it looked much more fun down there. :(

There was no humping in the heart so you didn't miss out.  I was in a seat in a stadium at Popmart and it was a better show than heart in an arena on Elevation.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »

There was no humping in the heart so you didn't miss out.

Plenty of jumping though!

I was in a seat in a stadium at Popmart and it was a better show than heart in an arena on Elevation.

Well, obviously...