Poll

Why do you think U2 are touring the Joshua Tree in 2017?

It's 30 years since it's release so that should be celebrated
22 (12%)
It will boost their profile so SOE will sell more
32 (17.4%)
They are not happy with SOE so buys time to look at the tracks again
39 (21.2%)
It's a good way to make money
32 (17.4%)
Trumps election makes the album's themes current
11 (6%)
Playing live will help write new material
3 (1.6%)
They can roadtest SOE songs
3 (1.6%)
Pressure from Live Nation
35 (19%)
Something else
7 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Voting closed: April 12, 2017, 07:54:47 AM

Author Topic: Why do you think U2 are touring the Joshua Tree in 2017?  (Read 2197 times)

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
Re: Why do you think U2 are touring the Joshua Tree in 2017?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 08:15:09 AM »
To think Prince put together the Batman album on his own in two weeks and that sold 6 Million copies!  RIP.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 09:27:24 AM »
I think it's pretty simple.  They were saying a while back that they wanted to tour in early 2017 but that the album probably wouldn't be ready yet.  They didn't want to tour without an album to support.  The Joshua Tree revisit gives them an excuse to get on the road and gives them more time to rework SOE now that Trump's going to be President.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that they recorded most of the songs in early 2016.

Offline Passenger789

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »
I went w choice 1 & 5 based on Bono's interview from yesterday, I believe Bono has always been sincere. I would have chosen 3 & 6 also but choices are limited to 2  :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:39:18 AM by Passenger789 »

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 02:29:12 AM »
For me this is simple, it's options 2 and 3 i.e.

It will boost their profile so SOE will sell more
They are not happy with SOE so buys time to look at the tracks again

On the I+E tour U2 played smaller venues and I can imagine they were shocked when these didn't sell out instantly like they would have done in the late 80's and the 90s. So the JT 2017 tour is a sure fire way to get the buzz back, about going to a U2 concert. [In fact if I remember correctly (in Pimm Jal De La Parra's book U2 Live: A Concert Documentary) the demand for tickets for the indoor leg of the 1987 JT tour was so great that there were riots in Scotland. ] Also playing the Bonnaroo festival helps remind the general public what a great live band U2 are.

However if U2 knew they had a mega selling album on the way with SOE they would have rather toured that.... so there must be issues with SOE and this new JT tour gives them some breathing space.

Regarding the other options:

30th anniversary - that's just a convenient way to launch the tour, why didn't they tour for the 15th or 20th or 25th, etc. anniversary?

Good way to make money - I can almost dismiss this because U2 generally don't make too much ('net' money) on their tours since the staging is often very expensive. However the GA tickets for the outdoor JT 17 tour are more expensive than the indoor I+E tour..... which leads me to suspect they are hoping to make more money on this tour.

Trump's election - don't buy this one, since they manage to make political statements on all their tours.

Live nation pressure - perhaps, but usually U2 have such a powerful negotiating position when setting up their contracts they are the ones setting the agendas!

Writing / roadtesting tunes - hasn't really worked in the past (north star, glastonbury tune) so can't see this being a big factor.

That's my opinion  ;)

Offline fishcci

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 08:22:28 PM »
I also think the JTour is SOE's "AutomaticAppleDownload"- they need to release the new album with some kind of fanfare and attention-they probably can't figure another new way to do that-I'm guessing they'd like to release it after the tour, but practically speaking, I'm not sure how they would tour the new album so soon after this tour...

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 03:25:58 AM »
I really think their concern about the state the world is genuine and the way the explained it in the different interviews is what happened. Quite honestly why should they use politics as an excuse for what they are doing. That would make  no sense whatsoever.
If you look at that long interview that Bono did with Charlie Rose before the election you'll also hear some of these thoughts kind of at the beginning state.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »
Money no other reason

Offline jimpala

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 10:49:40 AM »
I voted for pressure from live nation. I thought i heard awhile back some rumors they were set to tour stadiums in 2017.  My thought is that SOE is/was not strong enough to fill stadiums, so Joshua Tree tour fills that need.  Also, puts u2 back on map for casual fans, which will most likely mean more SOE album streams or purchases (whatever is done nowadays) whenever it does come out. 

Offline ADDinChicago

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
It's a "filler tour", which plenty of bands do. And I think it's a combination of things. They like touring (at least I think so), There's a lot of money to be made for them and Live Nation, a stadium tour unlike 360 was due, 30 years of TJT is a good concept and there's nothing "new" to promote. It's a good way to tide the diehards over and maybe reach out to some newer/fringe fans. It should please most people that like the band or sorta like the band.