Author Topic: Question to Canadians in Vancouver/Toronto/Calgary/Edmonton/Montreal/Winnipeg  (Read 5392 times)

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
Canada has always been shafted in comparison to America. I'm glad that I live relatively close to Toronto (though I'm at school in Ottawa). But really, they travel all over the US and only ever seem to visit the same three Canadian cities: Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver. Hamilton was a one-off, and Ottawa was the first time since 1985 they'd played there. And now even Montreal is gone.

Why does U2 hate Canada so much?

Offline northernscum

• Babyface
Christ almighty would the majority of you chill the f out. They will play Montreal. How about us fans who have to fly to see them or drive and you are complaining about your presale. Post your presale cause there are a bunch of fans who would love to have those codes. PEACE!

mariamontreal

U2 will be playing MontreaL either late fall or early 2010 on the second leg confirmed by Le Journal de Montreal March 10, 2009. , at the Olympic Stadium ( they have played thier twice already so they know the set up ) and with their fasntastic sound system this time around the sound will be great .So Montrealers , smile. P.S. this info was courtesy of achtung_habs Thank you . , see  you at the show
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:05:53 AM by mariamontreal »

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Christ almighty would the majority of you chill the f out. They will play Montreal. How about us fans who have to fly to see them or drive and you are complaining about your presale. Post your presale cause there are a bunch of fans who would love to have those codes. PEACE!

I'm perfectly happy with living so near Toronto. What I'm not happy about is the fact that, outside of Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, the rest of Canada gets absolutely shafted. Imagine, the second largest country in the world with so few concerts... What do people in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and the three territories have to do?

mariamontreal

I agree 100% the U.S.. gets it all , U2 caters so much to them , and Canada  gets left out big time . Just read the threads on here u2 going to Chicago, U2 playing live to New York ETC ETC ETC. I totally agree they show no support for Canada.

liewerizon

RE: Matkin22's last post

Unfortunately to the outside world, Canada only consists of Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.
I can't speak for the other provinces that had never hosted a U2 concert, but for Alberta and Manitoba, the only thing that we had done was selling out, in record time, tickets for all three PopMart shows (two in Edmonton and one in Winnipeg) in '97. We all remembered all the bad press that PopMart received at the time and U2 had problems selling out shows in multiple cities in the US. Even the Vancouver show wasn't sold out until the very last minute. I recalled getting tickets to that show MONTHS after tickets had gone on sale.
It was a fact that U2 had maintained the three shows in Alberta and Manitoba as the few highlights of the enitre PopMart episode.
Why we are getting shafted? No idea.
I can only hope that some of the bloggers are right and that additional Canadian cities will be included in the 2nd leg of the U2360.

mariamontreal

I agree they  shoud do more cities in Canada, I too would really like to know what is up with them about Canada.? Take for instance, I live in Montreal ,like you said , the world only knows these 3 cities in Canada
( which is stupid shows how much education they have)  and I am still not sure if they are really coming or not . Just because it was confirmed in a  montneal newspaper, until I see it up there posted ,  I will believe it . But I will tell you one thing my friend , if that is such ,  if they dont't come here, this girl will not take this sitting down .Mark my words. ! I've got fire in my soul.......
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:28:36 AM by mariamontreal »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Canada has always been shafted in comparison to America. I'm glad that I live relatively close to Toronto (though I'm at school in Ottawa). But really, they travel all over the US and only ever seem to visit the same three Canadian cities: Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver. Hamilton was a one-off, and Ottawa was the first time since 1985 they'd played there. And now even Montreal is gone.

you do realize that there are over 300 million people in the U.S. and only a little over 30 million in Canada. Add the fact that in the late fall it is cold in outdoor Canadian stadiums and that may be the reason there are only a few shows. I'm sure they'll add Montreal and possibly Edmonton/Calgary for the 2010 summer shows.

Offline rockin_the_peg

• Babyface

I second that.  They are most likely going to hit Montreal on the 3rd leg so just relax.  And even if they don't, buy a bus ticket and head to Toronto.  It's hard for me to be sympathetic when I'm almost certain they won't be playing Winnipeg and I'm faced with the prospect of having to book a week off work and travel to Vancouver. Ahhh the things I do for these guys...

mariamontreal

Seeing it was confirmed by the Gillett Entertainment group who is the concert organizer , I guess we will have to chill out and just wait for the dates . It was said late 2009/2010 .So the initial shock is over . You can't help people  getting antsy when they do not see their city on the schedule. It would make people more at ease if they named all the cities they will play, and  dates to follow , at least it would make peope feel better don"t you agree? . To me they must know what cities and countries they are playing , I do not think that they decide as they go.It makes no sense .  That"s my 2 cents!  Now as far as buying a ticket for Toronto, if I did that and scrape up the additional money to stay in a hotel, food etc.and  then they post the Montreal date? That is where the confusuion comes into play for people , because they are assuming they are not coming to their city . It"s a catch 22 . If they would just mention the places they will be playing people would not be spending extra money to see them elsewhere .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:56:46 AM by mariamontreal »

liewerizon

I think that's exactly what they want us to do, to spend extras to see them elsewhere and THEN more $$$ to see them in our home cities should they decide to grace us with their presence. I wonder if die-hards like us chose NOT fly into the major cities to catch a U2 concert, would shows in Vancouver and Toronto would still be sold out? Possibly, but it wouldn't be sold out in record time.

The concert organizers would then have to spend more money to promote the shows. How many times have we heard "Due to popular demand, a second show has been added....." It's mainly because of the influx U2 fans from surrounding areas. Think of the money that promoters saved by having multiple shows in the same venue. LET THEM COME TO US seems to be U2's motto.

I am not criticizing the band. Hell no, I wouldn't do that to my favorite band. All the frustration and anxiety are results of wanting to see them live so bad!!!

Maria has a good point, about if fans knew they are coming to their cities. Why spend more if you don't have to? I like Maria's comment about Catch-22....more like Catch 22 with U2 :)

Offline Witsa

• Running to Stand Still

I'm perfectly happy with living so near Toronto. What I'm not happy about is the fact that, outside of Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, the rest of Canada gets absolutely shafted. Imagine, the second largest country in the world with so few concerts... What do people in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and the three territories have to do?

I am in Edmonton and sure, I am disappointed that they are not coming here, but not angry.  I understand that this is the first part of the tour.  They have not said that this is it, if your city is not on the list, too bad, see you in 4 years...  What can you do about it?  Either you suck it up and accept the fact you have to wait a bit longer, or try to see them in another city.  What other options do you have at this point?

I am going to see them in Vancouver, taking extra time to see my family on Vancouver Island while I am out there.  So for me, its not a big deal.   I do hope that should they come back to Canada next year, they play here.  But if they don't I will travel to see them wherever they may go to.

Offline stanzie

• Babyface
  • Escape yourself / and gravity
I still have hope that they may do Regina, since the Rolling Stones concert was such a success!  Everyone was saying at the time that it would likely be the first of many big concerts for Saskatchewan.  And hey - it's central!

What do people think about stadiums vs. arenas?  Different experience?  I can't imagine the sound being too good, hopefully I'm wrong.

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs

you do realize that there are over 300 million people in the U.S. and only a little over 30 million in Canada. Add the fact that in the late fall it is cold in outdoor Canadian stadiums and that may be the reason there are only a few shows. I'm sure they'll add Montreal and possibly Edmonton/Calgary for the 2010 summer shows.

I do realize that fact. You do realize that in the time of year U2 is playing North America, it is still shorts and t-shirt weather outside?  The cold is no excuse, especially since many Stadiums nowadays have retractable roofs.

Roughly half of the concerts they played in Canada during the Vertigo Tour were in Toronto. Now I'm pretty sure that half of Canada doesn't live in one city, large though it may be. Granted I may live only an hour away, but when you're talking about the largest country in the world after Russia, concentrating four out of nine concerts in one city seems a little idiotic. Quite simply, if you don't live in Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver, then you're usually screwed. And as a Canadian who feels for the fans that live a hell of a long way away from any of these three cities, it sucks to be shafted all the time.

They manage to criss-cross the states several times and hit every time zone multiple times; why can they not play at least one show in central Canada for the millions who live in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba?

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive

I do realize that fact. You do realize that in the time of year U2 is playing North America, it is still shorts and t-shirt weather outside?  The cold is no excuse, especially since many Stadiums nowadays have retractable roofs.

Roughly half of the concerts they played in Canada during the Vertigo Tour were in Toronto. Now I'm pretty sure that half of Canada doesn't live in one city, large though it may be. Granted I may live only an hour away, but when you're talking about the largest country in the world after Russia, concentrating four out of nine concerts in one city seems a little idiotic. Quite simply, if you don't live in Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver, then you're usually screwed. And as a Canadian who feels for the fans that live a hell of a long way away from any of these three cities, it sucks to be shafted all the time.

They manage to criss-cross the states several times and hit every time zone multiple times; why can they not play at least one show in central Canada for the millions who live in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba?

so in October it is shorts weather in Edmonton, Regina, or Winnipeg? Not likely. In most major U.S cities there are more then a couple of million people. In Regina & Winnipeg there is less then 1 million. It makes more sense to play a citty with at least 2 million people then it does to play a city with 600,000. They will probably play in Edmonton/Calgary/Winnipeg during the summer of 2010 when it is actually shorts weather.